local samash dropped the price pretty significantly , i think in the range of $450? its last years models and theyre having some sort of sale on all their studios.

ive heard the horror stories of the QC on studio models, anyone have first hand experience to let me know if its a good buy? its the 70's firebird with the mini humbucks
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
I played one at a Guitar Center and liked it a lot. Gibson QC rumors are widely exaggerated, even on studios, and you have a return policy if you have any major issues. I'd say that the studios have some issues with rough frets, but at the price you're getting the Firebird for, you'll be able to afford a good setup if needed.
$450 seems like a steal compared to UK prices.

quality control issues are only really a concern when you're buying online - if you're going into a shop and playing some guitars like your post implies, i wouldn't worry about it. it should be easy to spot a potential problem.
Happiness is a warm Vox AC30
for 450$, if I had the money, I'd buy it online without trying it first. I have three Gibson guitars and have only tried one before I bought it, and they get about 75% of my play time, another 20% being for my telecaster. The QC thingie is, as far as I'm concerned, a rumor and nothing else.
JUMP ON THAT SHIT. The 2012 studio blowouts are the best deals around and once the internet bargain hunters find out they’ll be ordering them direct from stores. For $450 the QC is very good. I picked up a blowout 70s Les Paul Studio in November for $500. It plays great and the mini humbuckers sound sweet. The fretwork is almost as good as my Schecter guitars. It’s become my #1. I won’t lie, I wouldn’t have bought it when it was a $900 guitar, but for under $600 these guitars are killer.
Firebirds are cool and the price seems pretty low. I would buy it.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Yeah, I didn't see the fact that it's at a shop - go play it for sure. It sounds like a steal (they're $599 online). You'd be paying only slightly more for the Gibson than the Epiphone version.
Some of the studios are less than stellar. I bought a 70s SG tribute and Firebird Studio at the same time. The neck contour and pickups are exactly the same and I love the body shape of the SG. I really hate that it's hard for me to put the Firebird in a stand. That said, I kept the Firebird and sold the SG. It was hard to get the SG action to my liking without causing fret buzz. The Firebird didn't have that issue, and something about the way the body shape or length causes the neck to sit just right in my hand is amazing. I can't really describe what it is but I love playing that guitar. I own many fine Custom Shop guitars and I don't look down at this Firebird one bit. I might have just got a good one but for $450 it sounds like a good risk.
Quote by EspTro
local samash dropped the price pretty significantly , i think in the range of $450? its last years models and theyre having some sort of sale on all their studios.

Which store?!

IpponEdit: NVM, reached them,
Last edited by Ippon at Feb 20, 2013,
Play it and see if you like it. If you can see yourself owning it for a while, or flipping it for a profit, then go for it. Otherwise, it's kinda pointless to buy it, even if it is a good deal(but even then I don't know that it's actually a good deal, since used Firebird Studios can probably be had for that much).
Quote by Ippon
Which store?!

Sunset SA, right?
Quote by Ippon
Which store?!

City of industry samash

*EDIT* well i dont know if its a storewide sale since they were already on blowout, but a sales rep called me and told me hell knock another $100 off
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
City of industry samash

*EDIT* well i dont know if its a storewide sale since they were already on blowout, but a sales rep called me and told me hell knock another $100 off

$350? What's the salesperson's name?
I think he meant $100 off the advertised sale of $599, making it $499. Still a solid deal! If I'm wrong and it's $350, I'll be needing that salesperson's name as well.
OffsetOffset
no no not $350 haha.

ask for nick, if any of u buy it say Troy sent u
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
^ Damn spambot stole my comment! Reported.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
so just an update I ain't buying it. just not a fan of the mini humbuckers
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
so just an update I ain't buying it. just not a fan of the mini humbuckers

same here. I've been really wanting a firebird or explorer but I need full size buckers.
Studios tend to have worse neck dive than the regular model, they weigh more and they have a considerably warmer tone. If you're okay with all that, go for it. Sadly, Firebirds are the one model of Gibson where the stripped-down versions really are quite different to the normal one.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Studios tend to have worse neck dive than the regular model, they weigh more and they have a considerably warmer tone. If you're okay with all that, go for it. Sadly, Firebirds are the one model of Gibson where the stripped-down versions really are quite different to the normal one.

ya i was saving for a good 6 string, better anyway no to go with a mid range model and just go for a nice traditional LP or maybe one day a standard
Quote by kangaxxter

Quote by Blompcube

I <3 TWEED