Page 1 of 2
MightySumo
I love lamp
2,112 IQ
Odd question considering it's pedigree but seriously, anyone that's played this beast please provide some input. I have all the money to buy one and I've been saving for the last 5 months. But I want to know before I go ahead with this if there are any better alternatives. Again...odd question.
I 100% LOVE THIS AND WANT IT LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA, but that aside I want to know realistically what I'm getting myself into. I play heavier alternative in my band but love metal and hard rock etc. etc. etc, so I know it'll fit but real world knowledge takes precedence over gasing any day
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)
3,630 IQ
I don't get what you're asking. You love the amp, you know it'll fit for your style of music, and you know Mesa makes quality amps, but you don't know if you should buy it?

Am I missing something here?

Buy the damn amp!

/thread
Reincaster
Call me Rein.
461 IQ
It's one of those amps where you can get it and it's either the magic bullet or you don't like it, but you can flip it fairly easily. Just get it, and if it's not for you, at least you can say you played it!
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
MightySumo
I love lamp
2,112 IQ
Quote by Blktiger0
I don't get what you're asking. You love the amp, you know it'll fit for your style of music, and you know Mesa makes quality amps, but you don't know if you should buy it?

Am I missing something here?

Buy the damn amp!

/thread

No no no no no....lol
It's not like I'm all unsure or anything, I just guess I'm looking for feedback. This is easily the most expensive thing I will have purchased up to date and I just want to be sure before I buy. I just don't want it to be a classic case of looky what I got and then it's a pain in the ass when actually gigging and using it.
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
MightySumo
I love lamp
2,112 IQ
Quote by Reincaster
It's one of those amps where you can get it and it's either the magic bullet or you don't like it, but you can flip it fairly easily. Just get it, and if it's not for you, at least you can say you played it!

Not to get all dishonest and car salesman like, but isn't it something like, in the UK market I can get a bunch more for it when I sell it over there instead of here in the states?
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser
1,498 IQ
not really, as it runs at a a different voltage to that of the UK. sure you can still use it over there if you use a tranformer or get it modded, but having to splash out extra tends to put people off unless it's a steal of a price.
Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Feb 18, 2013,
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Go for it. If you don't like the way it sounds get a different guitar, because it probably isn't the amps fault. Mesa makes quality. I have a Stiletto Ace, and I love the thing. I wasn't sure at first, but then I figured out the pickups on my Epi were just really weak, so now that I switched guitars I'm loving it.

The only thing is if you want super modern gain you'll probably need high-output pickups and/or a boost pedal of some kind. I know this is true of the Stiletto, and I've heard it about the Rectifier too. But if you're playing heavy alternative stuff you'll probably be fine.
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
Quote by MightySumo
Odd question considering it's pedigree but seriously, anyone that's played this beast please provide some input. I have all the money to buy one and I've been saving for the last 5 months. But I want to know before I go ahead with this if there are any better alternatives. Again...odd question.
I 100% LOVE THIS AND WANT IT LIKE YOU HAVE NO IDEA, but that aside I want to know realistically what I'm getting myself into. I play heavier alternative in my band but love metal and hard rock etc. etc. etc, so I know it'll fit but real world knowledge takes precedence over gasing any day

It was an anti-climax for me when I first played a dual recto (2 channel) it had been built up as this god among amps and when I finally played one I preferred my 6505+

It's all personal preference.
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Quote by AxSilentxLine
It was an anti-climax for me when I first played a dual recto (2 channel) it had been built up as this god among amps and when I finally played one I preferred my 6505+

6505 is a pretty solid amp too. And really I don't expect to be blown away by any gear the first time I play it, or even probably for the first month or two that I own it. It really takes a good 6 months to figure out if you like something or not in my opinion. Unless it breaks a lot, then you know right away.
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts
3,913 IQ
It sounds like you already like it, so it really just comes down to preference. I think that Mesa is worth the dollar.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Ernie Ball Volume Jr
Joyo Sweet Baby OD
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
Line 6 M5
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I liked my Rec, but I no longer own it if that is any indication of how much I continued to like it. It is an awesome amp if you like Recs, but it will always sound like exactly that.

Don't buy it unless you are really sure that is the sound you are after, but it sounds to me like it is
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by AxSilentxLine

This was my experience as well.

However that's not really indicative of anything - I'm sure I'm looking for much different things out of the amp than you are.

You have been very vague about what you actually want to do with it. It's great for many things, it absolutely nails certain things, other things it doesn't. Just throwing out genres and styles is useless, you have to talk bands/albums if you want useful conversation about tone and what an amp can/can't do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
TVeye
Not Worth It......
295 IQ
Quote by Danjo's Guitar
Go for it. If you don't like the way it sounds get a different guitar, because it probably isn't the amps fault. Mesa makes quality. I have a Stiletto Ace, and I love the thing. I wasn't sure at first, but then I figured out the pickups on my Epi were just really weak, so now that I switched guitars I'm loving it.

The only thing is if you want super modern gain you'll probably need high-output pickups and/or a boost pedal of some kind. I know this is true of the Stiletto, and I've heard it about the Rectifier too. But if you're playing heavy alternative stuff you'll probably be fine.

So that $2000 amp didn't work well with a $300 guitar? Huh
Danjo's Guitar
UG's Math/Physics Major
995 IQ
Quote by TVeye
So that $2000 amp didn't work well with a $300 guitar? Huh

Actually it worked better with my $100 guitar than the $500 Epi. It sounds good so nobody can say nothin'.
megano28
*Snickers Nefariously*
1,261 IQ
I have one that I haven't touched for about 2 years now.

I changed my musical preferences and went acoustic, I haven't had a major need to sell so it just sits there

My opinion is that you better get a boost for it if you want metal, I hated it until I got one, then I loved it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
MatrixClaw
UG God
10,723 IQ
Buy an older 2 channel and save yourself $1200, while getting a better amp
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
Quote by MightySumo
real world knowledge takes precedence over gasing any day

GAS has no basis in logic. Until you pick up and try one... you'll never be fully convinced it is or is not for you.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
3,342 IQ
If you're in the UK, they're horribly expensive. Try out different amps too unless you're going to use the Rectifier a helluva lot or you're rich.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z
Ibanez SRX430
Alesis Core 1
GR5/ReValver 4

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
MightySumo
I love lamp
2,112 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
You have been very vague about what you actually want to do with it. It's great for many things, it absolutely nails certain things, other things it doesn't. Just throwing out genres and styles is useless, you have to talk bands/albums if you want useful conversation about tone and what an amp can/can't do.

Hmmm, alrighty where to start?
I like metallica, foo fighters, lamb of god, steve vai, paul gilbert, john petrucci, breaking benjamin, and theres many..many more but I hope that gives you an idea of the tone I'm after.
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by MightySumo
I like metallica, foo fighters, lamb of god, steve vai, paul gilbert, john petrucci, breaking benjamin, and theres many..many more but I hope that gives you an idea of the tone I'm after.

Foo fighters sure, Metallica- maybe. What album?

Dream Theater- nope.

Mark IV will nail the DT sound easily.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Woffelz
Mmmm...donuts...
3,342 IQ
If you like Metallica's live tone, Rectifiers are a good place to start. James Hetfield uses the Triple, but play around with Dual first before you splurge more - I don't know which drive channel he uses.
Woffelz

Twitter
Youtube
Tumblr

Ibanez RG2550Z
Ibanez SRX430
Alesis Core 1
GR5/ReValver 4

I'm a student. I've got no time or space for an amp!
ESP727
133 IQ
I love my dual rec. it's a work of art, and its a beast.
ESP Snakebyte
ESP FX360SM
ESP Iron Cross
ESP Truckster
Mesa Dual Rec
Peavey 6505+ Half Stack
Marshall JVM410H
Orange Dark Terror
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by MightySumo

I think a Mesa Mark IV or V would be a better choice than a Rectifier. It's certainly better for shreddy/virtuoso stuff, it'll nail LoG & DT and some Metallica. The only areas where the Rec would be superior are FF & BB.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Quote by Offworld92
I think a Mesa Mark IV or V would be a better choice than a Rectifier. It's certainly better for shreddy/virtuoso stuff, it'll nail LoG & DT and some Metallica. The only areas where the Rec would be superior are FF & BB.

Was trying to type this earlier today and couldn't get agreeable internet access. +1
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Good, we are all agreed then. TS, Blktiger0, Offworld, and I will take our consulting fee via paypal by Friday, PM us with account info.

sea`
12 IQ
Do you really need 120W of power? You may be better off saving your money and buying the toaster version of the Dual Rec, or a Roadster. The Roadster is a nicer amp in my opinion as it lacks a lot of the scooped mids that can make the Dual Rec sound flubby.
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain
Good, we are all agreed then. TS, Blktiger0, Offworld, and I will take our consulting fee via paypal by Friday, PM us with account info.

way to leave me out. I nailed it on page 1.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Offworld92
One among the fence.
7,563 IQ
Quote by dementiacaptain

Quote by R45VT

Did someone hear someone say something?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Feb 19, 2013,
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
Quote by R45VT

Well I suppose, but I didn't count yours as a full recommendation, you just kind of hinted at it.....

Your post inspired mine, and like all good inspiration, it goes unmentioned when the inspired collect their checks.
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork
4,770 IQ
Quote by MightySumo
A Mark IV/V would suite those styles better than a Recto, but both are solid amps at what they do. Save yourself a giant chunk of change and find yourself an older 2 channel Dual Rectifier (if you decide on the Dual). The 3rd channel doesn't cut through very well and sounds like ass, and the 2ch versions sound better on both channels.
Quote by Woffelz
If you like Metallica's live tone, Rectifiers are a good place to start. James Hetfield uses the Triple, but play around with Dual first before you splurge more - I don't know which drive channel he uses.
Don't get a Triple Rec, they're such a pain in the ass because of the oversized power section. You can't use them with most 2x12's and they're hella expensive to retube. Unless you're playing stadiums or gigantic outside venues there isn't a practical need for a Triple, a Dual will serve you just fine.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
tybacca60
1,000 IQ
I love Rec's as much as next guy,but make sure to try a 5150/6505 first.Clean channels won't be as good,but the metal channel kicks arse.Better to be safe then sorry,and realize two months down the road you'd rather have a 6505.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork
4,770 IQ
For the bands he listed I wouldn't want to use a 5150/6505. Too tight for Metallica, too aggressive and tight for the Foos, and too aggressive for Breaking Benjamin (I think, I'm not a BB fan in the slightest).

The Rectos are a hard rock amp that can do balls out metal and have a good clean channel. The 5150/6505 is a balls out metal amp that can do hard rock, and happens to have a clean(er) channel.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Ghostmaker
1,081 IQ
I'm a proud Roadster owner, I love Rectos. Finally getting mine was a dream come true, I had wanted one for years.

But the one thing that irks me is that it doesn't have MIDI control. You can get something like an Amp Gizmo to control it, but to me it's an inconvenience to have more cables to plug, another thing to power, another piece of gear to place around the head... I'm just super picky and like to have my rig shrunk down as much as possible without sacrificing anything as far as sound and control. This may have absolutely no effect on you though.
Last edited by Ghostmaker at Feb 21, 2013,
Flux'D
Plays a pitchfork
4,770 IQ
I think my 3ch Trec had midi control but I'm not sure. I never used it if it did
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son
2,227 IQ
I didn't really think MIDI was that common on amplifiers, maybe on the high end stuff, but it is really something you see a lot, I don't get why people use it as a critique of an amp when most other amps won't have it either.

It's just like, yeah, it is awesome when you have it, but I don't expect it to come on most amps
tybacca60
1,000 IQ
Quote by Flux'D
For the bands he listed I wouldn't want to use a 5150/6505. Too tight for Metallica, too aggressive and tight for the Foos, and too aggressive for Breaking Benjamin (I think, I'm not a BB fan in the slightest).

The Rectos are a hard rock amp that can do balls out metal and have a good clean channel. The 5150/6505 is a balls out metal amp that can do hard rock, and happens to have a clean(er) channel.

I wasn't saying buy a 6505,I merely said he should try one before he settles on a Rec.
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick
1,335 IQ
I have a rectoverb, which is the single rec with a reverb and it covers a lot of my favorite tones. I've only had it for like 2 days too .

Buy one, you won't regret it.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE