so, i figured i'd have a go at singing after years of just playing instruments. i've watched a few tutorials/read about singing, but i'm basically a total beginner when it comes to vocals.

anyways, i'm a big fan of shoegaze style vocals, and i'm assuming it's a pretty beginner-friendly style to sing. ideally, i'd sound like my bloody valentine, slowdive, washed out, etc etc. there's a lot of bands singing in this style now. how does one do it? tips, keys to that sound, etc etc.?
Develop your fundamentals FIRST, worry about style SECOND.

The biggest single problem I see from people posting samples of themselves singing on this board is that they focus on style thinking it will cover up bad fundamentals (or just being unaware of what good fundamentals are).
Quote by HotspurJr
Develop your fundamentals FIRST, worry about style SECOND

i totally agree. it's just overwhelming, you know? i would love to take lessons, but that's just not an option financially right now, so i'm just doing what i can for now.

Quote by HotspurJr
The biggest single problem I see from people posting samples of themselves singing on this board is that they focus on style thinking it will cover up bad fundamentals (or just being unaware of what good fundamentals are).

haha. i guess i'm kind of guilty of that, regrettably. i'm not really super aware of good fundamentals though, otherwise i'd use them. if you want to get a feel for where i'm at vocally, here's a really rough demo of a track i'm working on, i sing the first verse.

https://soundcloud.com/mike-earl/shoegaze-idea
Take lessons. Work on your ear.

You're rather pitchy, and I'm not qualified to tell you what you're doing wrong, technique-wise, based on that, but I can hear poor technique.