sandcrabb25
30 IQ
i have a stratocaster style body that was a guitar, but now i want to turn it into a bass guitar.

will i be able to buy a bass neck, pickups and bridge that will fit and sound ok?

thanks
Spanner93
50 IQ
It probably is possible BUT:

1. The chances are it will be incredibly neck heavy.
2. It would require a huge amount of work to turn a guitar body into something usable as a bass. Bigger neck pocket, rerouted holes for pups etc.
3. There is no guarantee that it would work properly.
Quote by Karl Marx
Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.
Last edited by Spanner93 at Feb 21, 2013,
moody git
i probably won't commit
30 IQ
if you keep the bridge where it is on the strat already, you're gonna have to get a pretty long neck to get a 'standard' scale length of a bass.
honestly, i have no idea if it will work. but i'm sure there will be limitations somewhere along the road.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Tostitos
caffeinated
90 IQ
There's a company called Landing you may want to take a look at for inspiration: http://www.landingbass.com/New%20Main%20Page.html. They specialize in making short scale basses with strat and tele guitar style bodies.

It's not as simple as trying to bolt a spare P bass neck onto a strat body and calling it good. I'd recommend making it a short scale (30" is pretty standard). Research it a bit.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
RyanStorm13
50 IQ
The strings would be bigger, so if the body was the only thing, your bridge, saddle, nut, etc would need to be replaced. But I don't know if the neck and head stock would be wide enough. I guess if you found a bass neck and headstock that fit the guitar body..
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!
40 IQ
the neck pocket will need some adjusting and you'll have to move the bridge
1978 Peavey T-40 -> Ampeg Micro-VR - > Ampeg SVT210AV + Ampeg SVT-15E
VeloDog
Tab Contributor
30 IQ
It's completely do-able, but it makes no financial sense whatsoever unless you just desperately need a project to dump money into.

For less than the cost of the components you will need you can buy either a Samick/Greg Bennett Corsair CR-1 (34" scale) or a CR-13 (30" scale). Both use a Strat-size body with P/J pickups and neither costs more than $200 delivered. Quality is on par with, or a bit better than, a Squier VM. Gratuitous link provided:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=samick%20corsair%20bass

So again, unless you just need a project that requires a cash outlay you will never recoup then consider selling your Strat body and buy a Corsair (assuming you want a bass with a Strat-size body).
John Swift
90 IQ
This is a shot of a 1962 Burns Split Sound 6 String Bass that I owned about 6 years ago.
It is identical to the guitar version of this except for the nut, tuners and trem unit having capacity for thicker strings.
As with a guitar it is tuned E-E
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift
90 IQ
If there are any doubters here's me using a Burns 6 string Bass way back in 1964

I've also got shots of it being used for lead guitar in 1968.

G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
BassTapp
150 IQ
Its possible, I planned on doing it to a tele body once upon a time but in the end it would have simply been too costly to be worthwhile. It would most likely need to be a short scale and even then require the bridge to be moved almost off the body, you would also need to widen the neck joint, all-in-all lots of work but if you can pull it off you'll have a sweet unique bass!
John Swift
90 IQ
Quote by BassTapp
Its possible, I planned on doing it to a tele body once upon a time but in the end it would have simply been too costly to be worthwhile. It would most likely need to be a short scale and even then require the bridge to be moved almost off the body, you would also need to widen the neck joint, all-in-all lots of work but if you can pull it off you'll have a sweet unique bass!

Didn't you read my two posts above?

This was the same 6 string bass been re-strung used as lead guitar in 68, I'm using a Harmony Bass.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
BassTapp
150 IQ
Quote by John Swift
Didn't you read my two posts above?

This was the same 6 string bass been re-strung used as lead guitar in 68, I'm using a Harmony Bass.

Ease up, i'm sure your 6 string was great and have no doubts its possible, I was simply answering the question of converting a strat Guitar (using the BODY) into a traditional 4 string bass much like this.

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/500/Telebass.jpg

Which would require doing what I stated
John Swift
90 IQ
Quote by sandcrabb25
i have a stratocaster style body that was a guitar, but now i want to turn it into a bass guitar.

will i be able to buy a bass neck, pickups and bridge that will fit and sound ok?

thanks
You can do it all on a guitar neck and body with a few mods. One of our local tech/builders has already done it.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John Swift
90 IQ
Quote by ihartfood
Wow man, that's really, really cool! those pictures are awesome.
Did you sell the 6string bass?

I swapped the one I had in the 60s for a 65 Fender Jazz Bass.

The more recently owned Burns 6 string Bass went to a guy in France.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Last edited by John Swift at Feb 25, 2013,
CarlFromCanada
50 IQ
Quote by John Swift
You can do it all on a guitar neck and body with a few mods. One of our local tech/builders has already done it.

I think what he is asking is if he could mount a standard 4 string neck to strat body, not asking if he could do it without extreme modifications.