Poll: Are video games an artform?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are video games an artform?
Yes
96 51%
No
10 5%
Not inherently, but some games could be considered as such.
75 40%
Mommy doesn't let me rot my brain
8 4%
Voters: 189.
Page 1 of 5
A worthy topic of discussion as it has caused some debate. Are video games a legitimate art form, just as film or music is? Why or why not?

Poll coming
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
sure
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
*Insert search bar joke*
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Sure. Why not?

Grad student at my school paints roadkill. If that's art then video games better be.
"Not inherently, but some games could be considered as such."

^ is true. that also applies to music, film, literature and p much anything that could be construed as art
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Art is sex is video games is violence
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Video games are created digitally and are a form of science.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Any creative medium can be art. Not all are, but they can be. Take a game based around one feeling, such as angst, the game focuses around this as a whole and the game is used to convey the meaning, this is art. A game based around just shooting Palestinians however is not.
So short answer, yes, Long answer Yes but not exclusivley.
Quote by jjfeu662
Video games are created digitally and are a form of science.

Guitars and drums etc were the results of science/engineering, etc
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Video games are a combination of visual art, narrative, and music. Video games themselves are not inherently art, but they are a collection of art put together in a (hopefully) unified way that can be interpreted as an artistic statement.

I wouldn't call Forza a form of artistic expression, but I would very much say so about a game like Bioshock. It's about the intent.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by skylerjames13
Guitars and drums etc were the results of science/engineering, etc

Guitars are made with wood, not code. IMO real art is of nature and cannot be made with 1s and 0s.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
Guitars are made with wood, not code. IMO real art is of nature and cannot be made with 1s and 0s.

It took engineering to figure out how to turn that wood into an instrument.
Quote by jjfeu662

your opinion is p stupid
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by goest
It took engineering to figure out how to turn that wood into an instrument.

The manufacture of guitars may be scientific, but not digital.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
The manufacture of guitars may be scientific, but not digital.

Engineering is not purely related to computers. At all.
Videogames have visual expression, music, and writing. And it is interactive. If anything, it's the most complete form of art. Games like Bioshock and Fallout even let the player express themselves.

Quote by Reisgar42
Video games are a combination of visual art, narrative, and music. Video games themselves are not inherently art, but they are a collection of art put together in a (hopefully) unified way that can be interpreted as an artistic statement.

I wouldn't call Forza a form of artistic expression, but I would very much say so about a game like Bioshock. It's about the intent.

I didnt even read this before I posted.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Feb 24, 2013,
Quote by goest
Engineering is not purely related to computers. At all.

For the majority of history (read: about 90-97% of it) it had nothing to do with computers/digitalshit whatsoever.

EDIT: And I would call Forza art. It's just not in the same sense that a game like SotC is. It's art in a purely visual-interactive way, like how Baroque music is art, but in a purely technical way.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Feb 24, 2013,
Quote by ShameofaNation
Look at Shadow of The Colossus, Okami, or Bioshock and tell me you don't see and hear art.

I started playing Bioshock again the other day in anticipation of Bioshock Infinite and I stared at this dead body in a wheelchair in the Medical Pavillion for like ten minutes. It was gorgeous.

I think that if Roger Ebert had ever played Silent Hill 2, he never would have made his dumbass comments. That series is rife with artistic metaphor.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Of course Most are. A lot of programming (more than imaginable) goes into writing and developing games.
Quote by VillainousLatin
There is absolutely no way it isn't art.

Some games definitely don't try to be artistic. They don't have good graphics, etc. I mean, look at a few Indie games. They're purposely using retro graphics, because it fits the game. I wouldn't call games like that artistic.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Videogames have visual expression, music, and writing. And it is interactive. If anything, it's the most complete form of art. Games like Bioshock and Fallout even let the player express themselves.

I didnt even read this before I posted.

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Some games definitely don't try to be artistic. They don't have good graphics, etc. I mean, look at a few Indie games. They're purposely using retro graphics, because it fits the game. I wouldn't call games like that artistic.

You have that the wrong way around. Making a decision about the design based on the content is a very artistic idea.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Feb 24, 2013,
Quote by jjfeu662

I must admit, I hate it when I'm taking a stroll through a national park and I trip over one of Da Vinci's masterpieces.... It just ruins my day, but to be expected because nature is just lousy with priceless pieces of art.
Gear:
> LTD EC-1000
> Ibanez RG420EX-RAR
> Greg Bennett Interceptor 2
> Samick Flying V - with Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded pickup set
> Blackstar Series One 6L6
> Line 6 Spider Valve Mk 2 HD100 (all the trimmings)
> Line 6 HD500
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Art can't be minimalist?
Quote by vintage x metal

No.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Page 1 of 5