Poll: Are video games an artform?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are video games an artform?
Yes
96 51%
No
10 5%
Not inherently, but some games could be considered as such.
75 40%
Mommy doesn't let me rot my brain
8 4%
Voters: 189.
Page 4 of 5
Quote by Nelsean
Isnt the success or failure in a video game a portrayed illusion that does not cause real loss or gain in anything? Thus creating a philosophical view on how we judge winning and losing in our own lives?

Does art push critical thinking? The vast majority of video games does this, very well might I add.

Well aye in many ways the screen that says "Game Over" vs the one that says "Well Done!" or the one that says "15469000 points!" vs the one that says "0 points!" is only better because that's what you want. To the computer they're both just outputs from a certain set of button presses.

But anyway the point was it was a bit of a stupid argument that you art couldn't have success or failure criteria within it.
If you consider films, music, and things of that nature art, then yes.

I would say they are. It takes some amount of artistic talent to create a game.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
The short answer is yes, but some games are more artistic than others.

That goes for all art forms, though.

yeah yeah, you all saw it coming.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 25, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster

Oh aye I'd hope that'd be the conclusion most people would come to.

Just the same as not all books and films and music is justifiably described as "art", games aren't ALL art.
Nevertheless, they should be judged as media in the same way as any book or picture or musical piece or film etc. Being of a certain media format shouldn't exclude them from being judged as art, but that doesn't mean they're automatically art for being of that form.
Quote by CoreysMonster

yeah yeah, you all saw it coming.

I wanted to post it earlier but I was on my phone .

And yes, video games are most definitely art.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by The Madcap
Gaming itself isn't an art. Stuff about video games is art though. Level design, music, graphics, etc.

Gaming, as in the act of playing games? No, that's not an art.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Wouldn't that make video games presentations of art, rather than actually being art?
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Wouldn't that make video games presentations of art, rather than actually being art?

The art in games is in the interactivity, and the design of the interactivity. All the graphics, music etc. are artistic, too, but the one thing that only games have, and the thing that makes it a unique art form, is the interaction with the player. If you get down to it, graphics and music are only supplements. Games can be greatly entertaining without any of those things. Games are, in their deconstructed form, nothing but a system of rules beneath which humans interact.
This extends, of course, to all forms of games. I personally think chess is a brilliant work of art. Whoever came up with the rules and balance to chess was truly a master game artist, far superior than most alive today.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Feb 25, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster

You've obviously never seen a 360 no scope headshot.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
If films are art then games are too.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by yoman297
sometimes they are not

Like when?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by element4433
I need to validate myself sitting around in my boxers playing a video game for twelve hours by calling it art.

yep
you're a stone fox
Quote by Saint78
yep

I find it odd that people still try to pretend that the only people who play games are basement dwellers and neckbeards. Everyone plays games these days, they're as ubiquitous as films; Modern Warfare 3 sold something like 6 million copies in the first 24 hours just in the USA and UK. It's not controversial to say that the niche demographic today is those who do not play video games.
Quote by Todd Hart
I find it odd that people still try to pretend that the only people who play games are basement dwellers and neckbeards. Everyone plays games these days, they're as ubiquitous as films; Modern Warfare 3 sold something like 6 million copies in the first 24 hours just in the USA and UK. It's not controversial to say that the niche demographic today is those who do not play video games.

Yea, it's pretty weird that that stereotype is still commonly used. I really can't think of more than one or two people I know who doesn't play video games that is under 30 years old

They would seem to be more popular than films in my experience. I know tons of people who just flat out don't watch any movies.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Pong, maybe.

I'll give you that lol
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
yeah, but there's a difference between playing CoD with your friends and being a full on video game fan.

i'm not going to post in here again b/c this thread reeks of nerd
you're a stone fox
The stereotype is only used on the internet, so I don't see any reason worrying about it.

I'm going to now play Battlefield 3 like a baws.
Quote by Saint78
yeah, but there's a difference between playing CoD with your friends and being a full on video game fan.

Quote by Saint78

Jewquest is art
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I think the term "art" is used too lightly nowadays. I don't think video games are an art form as a whole. It is a game, something to be enjoyed. To say a video game is art, is like like saying Monopoly is art, or poker is an art form. It is a game, a form of entertainment.

Games nowadays have many art forms in them, things like graphic design, music, audio, etc.

But I think its best to just let art be art.

Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
Quote by Adam808
I think the term "art" is used too lightly nowadays. I don't think video games are an art form as a whole. It is a game, something to be enjoyed. To say a video game is art, is like like saying Monopoly is art, or poker is an art form. It is a game, a form of entertainment.

Games nowadays have many art forms in them, things like graphic design, music, audio, etc.

Music is an art, and that is meant to be enjoyed. It's no different.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55
Jewquest is art

Just like World Of Jewcraft, Jewablo III(Auction house system is a bit too Jewy, though), Jewscape, and Dear Jew are all art.
Quote by Adam808

If art is something that is mutually exclusive with enjoyment you are disqualified from commenting on what art is.
I guess all good art is enjoyed one way or another.

My mind is blown
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
Quote by Saint78

>Somewhat mocks casual gamers
>'u guyz r n3rds'
Wouldn't a working definition of art be 'a product of a conscious entity designed to elicit or facilitate thoughts and/or emotions'?

Then entertainment is considered art, and then we can assess good and bad art and mediums based on their ability to elicit or facilitate thought or emotion. (with normative sampling to judge their efficacy)
Last edited by TooktheAtrain at Feb 25, 2013,
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Just like World Of Jewcraft, Jewablo III(Auction house system is a bit too Jewy, though), Jewscape, and Dear Jew are all art.

You forgot Jewrim, Jew-o-wind, and Jewblivion, man! I mean, really...the Jew Scrolls are where it's at!
Quote by Saint78

You're a pretty poor troll bro
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I'm hating n8 here but I dunno if it's because of bad opinions or bad trolling
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I'm Commander Shepard, and videogames are my favorite art form on the Citadel.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 46-49
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0