Page 1 of 6
Zeppelinism96
144 IQ
Old school as in 70's-80's. And yes i know this probably has its place in the forum besides the pit, but the pit just has more "traffic". So the question herein is Old School Music or Modern Music, which do you prefer? No specific Genre.

Guitars, Synths, and reverb, or Bass, auto tuners, and drum pads?

Real stereo mixings for real speakers or mp3's mixed for 2 headphones?

Side question: Vinyl records, cassettes, cds, or mp3's?

Me? Im an old school guy, i like reverb on my drums, mids in my guitars, and just a good raunchy bass line. Haha.

Be as biased as possible!
Obsceneairwaves
UG Member
1,001 IQ
No one beats the king
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
Old school, but like OLD old school

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
sashki
6,575 IQ
I'm not biased in terms of when or how it was recorded.
I'm getting kind of tired of the whole "retro" thing. People need to get over the fact that just because something is old doesn't mean it's better. There are bands that try to recreate something that happened before they were even born, but they end up sounding like inferior copies of popular bands.
Last edited by sashki at Feb 25, 2013,
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright
2,466 IQ
I think Break on through (To the other side) by The Doors has to be one of the coolest songs of all time.

I do probably prefer old school to modern, however good ol' Gaslight Anthem sound Old School and are modern
blake1221
‭‭
711 IQ
Quote by Saint78
por que a las dos?

por que no los dos, idiot.
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Old school, new school, special school, shoe school, black school, white school, all the schools can't compete with the best school.

My School.
Swannie
drives a hearse
1,637 IQ
I like a lot of different stuff. Mostly I listen to stuff that is old-school, whether it's Carole King, Hindustani classical music, old-time Appalachian music or Mozart. Of course old-school embodies a lot more music than modern does by it's very nature. But there is some new stuff I like as well: Gin Wigmore, Avett Brothers, Jack White, some post-rock stuff like Earth and Explosions In The Sky

also, I love vinyl and collect it, but by far most of my music is in mp3 format. I also have CD's and even though I mostly get them to put onto itunes, I'm using them a lot lately because the cable in my car to play my iphone is broken.
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted."
Last edited by Swannie at Feb 25, 2013,
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by blake1221
por que no los dos, idiot.

como yo cuido
you're a stone fox
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
I'll give anything a go but I don't like the dadrock sort of stuff you're talking about. In rock and metal music, the production quality is important for me and there's very little from those genres before the early 90s that I find listenable.
That's not to say I don't enjoy any "old school" music at all. There's plenty of jazz and fusion and plenty of other things from ages ago that's fine.
Gantz92
108 IQ
When i was around 15-17 i was one of those pretentious guys with long unkempt hair that considered everything not recorded in the 70's as shit. Now i mostly listen to modern music. I can't really say why but older music just doesn't do much for me these days. I can't relate to it for some reason.
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Old school is best school
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by Gantz92
When i was around 15-17 i was one of those pretentious guys with long unkempt hair that considered everything not recorded in the 70's as shit. Now i mostly listen to modern music. I can't really say why but older music just doesn't do much for me these days. I can't relate to it for some reason.

those guys aren't pretentious. they are pleb-level wannabe musicians.
you're a stone fox
willT08
Banned
2,923 IQ
Quote by Gantz92
I can't relate to it for some reason.

Why would you be able to?

It was written by people living in a different world.
BradIon1995
127 IQ
80's Glam rock is what I relate to the most, and also 80's Thrash, to a degree. Crank the mids, shred until the fretboard catches fire, pound the living shit out of those drums, have the fattest, juciest bass lines known to man, and you sir have one ****in' badass band.

I can't really relate to a lot of the newer metal bands like BVB or ETF. I've felt all of the emotion that they sing about, but it's just so BORING to me.
Ibanez TSA30 < Boss OS-2 < Custom Frankenstein Strat w/ scalloped board and Epi LP pickup
Adam808
I Wanna Be Sedated
111 IQ
Who cares when it was made. Old School or new school, if its good its good.

I don't like a band or artist because of the production date, I like 'em because of what they put out, no matter the time period.
Play Loud! Play Fast! Play Raw!
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd
468 IQ
Quote by Saint78
those guys aren't pretentious. they are pleb-level wannabe musicians.

Need more hardstyle.
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by sashki
This throws me into a blind rage every time. I can't help it.

you're a stone fox
Avedas
yoloswag420
673 IQ
EDM is fucking amazing. I can listen to trance all day. GLOW STICKS
pawnluv
Spread The Luv
808 IQ
Most of my fav music is from the 60's/70's but I like quite a bit of modern stuff too
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
institutions
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
95 IQ
n8 is the only true pleb.

i only like music made before the year 1500.

BC
Saint78
julian wells
1,760 IQ
Quote by institutions
n8 is the only true pleb.

i only like music made before the year 1500.

BC

you're a stone fox
Most_Triumphant
is being Excellent!
1,141 IQ
Old school. Listen to some Zeppelin, Queen, or Who live recordings and you hear something amazing happen. It just seems to be missing even in the best newer stuff.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
Quote by Most_Triumphant
Old school. Listen to some Zeppelin, Queen, or Who live recordings and you hear something amazing happen. It just seems to be missing even in the best newer stuff.

Don't they call that nostalgia?
captainsnazz
~
578 IQ
Quote by Most_Triumphant

Your username is awesome but your post is not
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,700 IQ
Quote by Zeppelinism96
Me? Im an old school guy, i like reverb on my drums, mids in my guitars, and just a good raunchy bass line. Haha.

I like this too, but the '70s & '80s are hardly the only decade to have music that fits this description.
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
The OP reads "Hi, I'm 15 and have never listened to any music extensively that my dad did not introduce me to" to me.
Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
Reisgar42
Howyehdoin?
560 IQ
If it's newer than Robert Johnson I just don't see the point TBH. That's about when musical creativity died.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,700 IQ
Quote by theogonia777
The OP reads "Hi, I like music from the '70s & '80s, because it's enjoyable, imho".

Ftfy!

Stop being a bitch, Kristen.

Quote by Reisgar42
If it's newer than Robert Johnson I just don't see the point TBH. That's about when musical creativity died.

1/10 for good punctuation.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Feb 25, 2013,
muffinduck01
UG's BBW Lover
192 IQ
Generally I prefer newer music, but the music I like has only been around for about 25 years, So It really doesn't count as "old school."
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
theogonia777
Miss Kristen
2,130 IQ
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Ftfy!

Stop being a bitch, Kristen.

some people might ask you to post more.

Quote by Hal-Sephira
Shut the mother#%$& up, $^%got. You have a #$%^ing terrible muther&@$#ing taste in %#$@ing music, @&%$ing movies and %&$#ing video games. Every time I see you on the forums, you are always saying something overrated and some $@&#ing sh*t. You are just mother$^@%ing ignorant as a whole.

Get a #%$@ing life or you will get banned for life.

Quote by Arby911
Kristen is very open-minded; believes that everyone is entitled to her opinion...

Quote by NirvanaLuvr16
omg its better than i imagined... so dark and cozy and warm...

Read this please.
Todd Hart
Do Sadists go to Hell?
153 IQ
Quote by Most_Triumphant

I don't think I could sit through a Zeppelin or The Who concert without being incredibly bored. I don't think you could find blander music than most 'classic rock'.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht
5,700 IQ
Quote by Todd Hart
I don't think I could sit through a Zeppelin or The Who concert without being incredibly bored. I don't think you could find blander music than most 'classic rock'.

Oh, you're serious.

Hydra150
cutebutt mcsexyface
1,793 IQ
I enjoy classic rock. Much of what I listen to is older than that, though, and much of it is newer.