Page 3 of 6
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Go ahead, try and tell me how "bland" that first guitar solo is.

Guitar solos are bland by definition. That's why nobody worth their salt does them any more.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Tails are connected to spines in animals, not the anus.

But it's okay, I know plenty who've failed Biology, you're not alone.

Your tail is fake and you suffice your emptyness of a tail by shoving it in your ass.

Like I said, a stick of butter will serve you some good.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by willT08
Guitar solos are bland by definition. That's why nobody worth their salt does them any more.

What about Salty Dog Pete from the Port Bay Pirate Band?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Hydra150
to be fair, I enjoy classic rock and I found that to be boring, one might even say 'bland'.
Oh I forgot to mention that track is from '75. Not many other rock artists, at least known ones, were implementing true classical scales into their music at that time.

And all guitar solos are bland "out of style" now? Man, the Pit just gets stupider every goddamn day.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Feb 25, 2013,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Go ahead, try and tell me how "bland" that first guitar solo is.

On a scale of 1 to Bland, I'd give it about an Egg

Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
Quote by Avedas
EDM is fucking amazing. I can listen to trance all day. GLOW STICKS

yum
cat
I like music from the '70s.

The 770s to be exact.

Quote by Ian_the_fox
And all guitar solos are bland "out of style" now? Man, the Pit just gets stupider every goddamn day.

Don't worry about him. He's one of those EDM kids who thinks skill is for old people.
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Feb 25, 2013,
Quote by Ian_the_fox

So butthurt because it's plainly true.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Oh I forgot to mention that track is from '75. Not many other rock artists, at least known ones, were implementing true classical scales into their music at that time.

Nice factoid, not sure how it's relevant though. Besides, for me 70s shred begins and ends with DiMeola.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Ian_the_fox
true classical scales

what is this shit
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by StewieSwan
I like music from the '70s.

The 770s to be exact.

You know, I always thought your avatar was some angelic figure, but now I realise that it's a swan ****ing a girl; quite an ugly ****ing.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by theogonia777
what is this shit

ikr
I like it when ian gets in dumb arguments because I get to see the stupidity without clicking "view post."
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
No, that's my pride and joy, I'm keeping that MG

I don't blame you, you've make such beutiful music like this with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dku1RbTxKh4

I don't know why you were so insecure about your playing skills getting worse in that multi-thread. You sounded great for someone who'd only been playing two years
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Ian

EDIT: Actually, what's a key, what's a scale, and what's a "classical scale"?
Last edited by Morphogenesis26 at Feb 25, 2013,
Yeah, totally:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMi2mCe7CKg
Did you really thing posting Holdsworth would help your case here?
I'm sorry, you're trying to prove that guitar solos are in style with a clip of Allan Holdsworth?

Have you actually ever been outside? This'll help clear up why you haven't cut your god awful hair as well.
Quote by theogonia777
what is this shit
Actual full utilization of classical scale usage in rock music. Wasn't very common at the time. Focus's guitarist came close with it but not as far as Uli Jon Roth.
Quote by jetwash69
I don't blame you, you've make such beutiful music like this with it:

I don't know why you were so insecure about your playing skills getting worse in that multi-thread. You sounded great for someone who'd only been playing two years

You'd be insecure if your dad was this:

2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Actual full utilization of classical scale usage in rock music. Wasn't very common at the time. Focus's guitarist came close with it but not as far as Uli Jon Roth.

Do you meant to say diatonic?
I think he means to say diatonic.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
classical scale

again

what is this shit
Quote by StewieSwan
the **** is a 'classical scale'?

Remember that thread where Ian was trying to argue that technical music > not technical using "music theory" while admitting he didn't know theory?

This is like that.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Ian_the_fox

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fl23Xox8gE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-9QxAvTRZc

These two songs contain the only acceptable solos.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Feb 25, 2013,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Remember that thread where Ian was trying to argue that technical music > not technical using "music theory" while admitting he didn't know theory?

This is like that.

No, but I know he's completely full of shit when it comes to anything and everything, so I'll just take your word for it.
The best solos eminate from the fingers of Matt Schofield.
Quote by StewieSwan
No, but I know he's completely full of shit when it comes to anything and everything, so I'll just take your word for it.

I swear you were in that thread, but I guess not.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
You'd be insecure if your dad was this:

Don't hate on yourself like that. If you keep going down that road, next thing you know, you'll find yourself obsessed with ball-gags and handcuffs like that guy in Memphis last Christmas and extolling the benefits of taking advantage of bartenders who like men in order to get served stronger drinks.

I'm not one to judge. Based on your other comments ITT, I think you are, and maybe you wouldn't want to be that guy.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by jetwash69
Don't hate on yourself like that. If you keep going down that road, next thing you know, you'll find yourself obsessed with ball-gags and handcuffs like that guy in Memphis last Christmas and extolling the benefits of taking advantage of bartenders who like men in order to get served stronger drinks.

You have to be more specific. Someone gets cuffed on an hourly basis here.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Morphogenesis26
Ian

EDIT: Actually, what's a key, what's a scale, and what's a "classical scale"?
Going on my own definitions:

Key is what defines the path of all the notes in a song.

Scale is a pattern of notes, helps make up a key.

A classical scale is apparently a diatonic something-or-other that has that distinctive quality to it, used mostly in classical. Kind of like that one "Jazz scale" that's used frequently that is some diminished-seventh something-or-other.

I don't know the names of half of the musical mechanisms, but I can still pick it all out by ear with close listening. Too lazy to learn terminology.

Quote by willT08
I'm sorry, you're trying to prove that guitar solos are in style with a clip of Allan Holdsworth?

Have you actually ever been outside? This'll help clear up why you haven't cut your god awful hair as well.
You said no worthwhile player continues to utilize them.

You trying to say Holdswoth isn't worthwhile? That's just hilarious.

Off topic: sorry for slower than shit replies, phone's being a major bitch every way possible.
Quote by Zeppelinism96
I listen to LOTs of music, Jazz, jazz fusion, blues, rock n roll, delta blues, metal, funk, funk rock, OLD country, psychedelic, psychedelic rock, progressive rock/metal, the list goes on and on. And FYI my dad has never "introduced" me to any music. Hell i hardly even talk to my dad anymore. But my favorite to listen to is old school rock, ya know? Music that just kicks you in the f*ckin face and gets your adrenaline going. Just depends on my mood. Oh and im 16 btw.

Quote by Ian_the_fox

You said no worthwhile player continues to utilize them.

You trying to say Holdswoth isn't worthwhile? That's just hilarious.

Whilst I am, you changed my wording to "out of style" and then used Holdsworth to try and prove that it actually is. Which is actually hilarious.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Going on my own definitions:

Key is what defines the path of all the notes in a song.

Scale is a pattern of notes, helps make up a key.

A classical scale is apparently a diatonic something-or-other that has that distinctive quality to it, used mostly in classical. Kind of like that one "Jazz scale" that's used frequently that is some diminished-seventh something-or-other.

I don't know the names of half of the musical mechanisms, but I can still pick it all out by ear with close listening. Too lazy to learn terminology.

the thing about using your own definitions is, when you're talking to someone who has different (or correct) definitions, it kinda defeats the purpose of theory.
Quote by Ian the Fox

Hahaha

Total dunning-kruger right here.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
For the love of god, someone fucking shoot that vocalist.

Unless, he happens to be a guitar player/bassist, in which case just wire his mouth shut. I'd enjoy that track if it weren't for that horrendous off-key wailing.

Oh, you're one of those guys; those who think key is important (read: ******).