Page 4 of 6
Define 'old school.' It's a pretty huge range of time.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
You have to be more specific. Someone gets cuffed on an hourly basis here.

But they only cuff themselves to the bed once for their "girlfriend's" birthday. Or was that just a story to titilate all the UG virgins?

Later, Pit.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Key is important. But he doesn't know what the word means.
And that singing is awful.
Quote by jetwash69
But they only cuff themselves to the bed once for their "girlfriend's" birthday. Or was that just a story to titilate all the UG virgins?

You jelly that my story was real?
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Hydra150
Key is important. But he doesn't know what it means.
And that singing is awful.
I know what it is, I just don't know the technical definition of it. In other words, if you told me to improvise in a G-minor, I could do that on command. But ask me to turn it into words, and you'll get nothing sense worthy.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Going on my own definitions:

Key is what defines the path of all the notes in a song.

Scale is a pattern of notes, helps make up a key.

A classical scale is apparently a diatonic something-or-other that has that distinctive quality to it, used mostly in classical. Kind of like that one "Jazz scale" that's used frequently that is some diminished-seventh something-or-other.

I don't know the names of half of the musical mechanisms, but I can still pick it all out by ear with close listening. Too lazy to learn terminology.

Well, I would heavily suggest you try to learn some basic theory to understand what a Key and Scale is.

Now, as for the "Classical scale" and the "Jazz Scale", well, they aren't scales as much as they are a way of composing. What you are thinking of is a form of composition. The Rock song you posted didn't use some special scale or anything, it was just written in a way that sounded similar to early classical music. It's nothing special, especially when you consider what the entire Prog Rock scene of the early 70's was doing before it.
95 precebht of teenss listent to justin beber and pop repost this if u are the 5 precent tht listen to real music like iron maiden
Quote by me+yourmom=69
95 precebht of teenss listent to justin beber and pop repost this if u are the 5 precent tht listen to real music like iron maiden

Quote by me+yourmom=69

PU THE IORNS!!!!

SAO PAULO BRASIL KEKEKEKEKEKE
Check out my band Disturbed
Is it bad that, perhaps because it was you who posted, I read that as Chord Scale Theory?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I know what it is, I just don't know the technical definition of it. In other words, if you told me to improvise in a G-minor, I could do that on command. But ask me to turn it into words, and you'll get nothing sense worthy.

Yeah, there's clearly a lot more that you don't know than just the technical definition.

And by "a lot more" I mean everything.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I mostly listen to modern music, though it includes the instruments you listed for old school...

As far as formats, I love vinyl. I only buy vinyl if I'm buying a physical copy of music. I like MP3s as well of course, because I can't take my vinyl with me when I go places.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

Ask you for words in general and you'll get nothing 'sense worthy'.
Quote by theogonia777
Yeah, there's clearly a lot more that you don't know than just the technical definition.

And by "a lot more" I mean everything.
Everything? If I knew absolutely nothing about it I wouldn't even be capable of writing music, or playing by ear for that matter. I can't imagine how anyone as a musician would be unable to pick out what a key is, unless they're just another one of those aged-14 metalcore kids who base all of their playing on tab-reading, an whose "songs

As far as I know there's really not much more needed to be known with key aside from that it's the basis that a song or passage is built on. I see it almost like the home base on a baseball field.

Quote by captainsnazz
Ask you for words in general and you'll get nothing 'sense worthy'.

I'm considering sigging this, despite it being a jab against me...
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Everything? If I knew absolutely nothing about it I wouldn't even be capable of writing music, or playing by ear for that matter. I can't imagine how anyone as a musician would be unable to pick out what a key is, unless they're just another one of those aged-14 metalcore kids who base all of their playing on tab-reading, an whose "songs

As far as I know there's really not much more needed to be known with key aside from that it's the basis that a song or passage is built on. I see it almost like the home base on a baseball field.

Yes, yes...we know. You always talk a big stick about how you're the greatest musician ever or the greatest producer ever or whatever else you think you're amazing at. The reality is, despite claiming you're awesome all the time, you NEVER have anything to back it up.

So, put up or shut up, Ian!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Yes, yes...we know. You always talk a big stick about how you're the greatest musician ever or the greatest producer ever or whatever else you think you're amazing at. The reality is, despite claiming you're awesome all the time, you NEVER have anything to back it up.

Nah, in the Chat thread he posted himself doing a shite cover of some song.
Quote by willT08

Well, since you say it's shite, I'm gonna believe you.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Your rage is hilarious.

What's even funnier is that I don't believe nor have I ever even claimed I'm either of those. In fact, I hate myself as a musician, and even more as a recording artist.

As for backing material: give me about a week or 2 and I'll have something to present. Just recently I managed to get a decent lineup going with my main band and I've been rerecording everything. My good stuff is all in beta stage right now and any complete material I have own sounds like shit.
Quote by willT08
It's about time someone agrees with me that it was terrible.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Your rage is hilarious.

What's even funnier is that I don't believe nor have I ever even claimed I'm either of those. In fact, I hate myself as a musician, and even more as a recording artist.

As for backing material: give me about a week or 2 and I'll have something to present. Just recently I managed to get a decent lineup going with my main band and I've been rerecording everything. My good stuff is all in beta stage right now and any complete material I have own sounds like shit.

So Ian's proving that he can't back anything up.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
It's sad because deep down he wishes he could make EDM but he can't even though it's just picking loops and sounds from a computer.
Quote by willT08
It's sad because deep down he wishes he could make EDM but he can't even though it's just picking loops and sounds from a computer.

Well Ian probably believes it's not real music because it's digital
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495

Quote by JayT44

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Well Ian probably believes it's not real music because it's digital

And it often isn't in the Franco-Roman key.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
That's what he tells himself to get through the night. Truth is he torrent Fruity Loops and couldn't figure out how to load an instrument, let alone use one.

You people are fucking retarded.

And, yeah I can't stand electronic music at all. Which is the reason about 20% of my library is electronic, right?

And did it ever occur that I don't make EDM for the sole purpose that I don't want to? Nor do i have a reason.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

You people are fucking retarded.

And, yeah I can't stand electronic music at all. Which is the reason about 20% of my library is electronic, right?
Only further proof of your repressed urges to make EDM.

And did it ever occur that I don't make EDM for the sole purpose that I don't want to? Nor do i have a reason.

You're a textbook twat though, making some EDM and then using it go "hurr, look how easy it is dancefag" is exactly what you'd love to do. And you tried, and you couldn't do it.
Was it Ian who was trashing electronic music in some thread and then said he could easily make some as good as x and never got round to it?
Quote by willT08
You're a textbook twat though, making some EDM and then using it go "hurr, look how easy it is dancefag" is exactly what you'd love to do. And you tried, and you couldn't do it.
Laying down notes on a midi sheet it is easy, but making it sound awesome musically isn't easy, and absolutely takes skill. I don't know why you'd think i say otherwise. Genre and means of creation don't dictate one's composition, or mixing capabilities.
Quote by Todd Hart
Was it Ian who was trashing electronic music in some thread and then said he could easily make some as good as x and never got round to it?
I overly critisized the painfully simple progression in one of Will's tracks. But if you think I put down the entire genre, you're fucking retarded.

And I never said the last sentence. Quit making shit up.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Laying down notes on a midi sheet it is easy.

that's why you can't do it lol
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I overly critisized the painfully simple progression in one of Will's tracks. But if you think I put down the entire genre, you're fucking retarded.

And I never said the last sentence. Quit making shit up.

I wasn't making shit up, it was a question. It would pay you great dividends if you learnt how to read.
Quote by Todd Hart
I wasn't making shit up, it was a question. It would pay you great dividends if you learnt how to read.

What he's calling 'harsh criticism' was really "Don't like the music but the production is good'. I think he thinks he's a lot more articulate and well spoken than he is. Typical narcissist though so it's not surprising.
Quote by willT08
that's why you can't do it lol
Which is why I program drum beats on a regular basis? Because I don't know how to do it?

Since I'm finally at my computer, I'll export a sample one of my tracks (not electronic) since you think I'm bullshitting all of this.

Quote by willT08
What he's calling 'harsh criticism' was really "Don't like the music but the production is good'. I think he thinks he's a lot more articulate and well spoken than he is. Typical narcissist though so it's not surprising.
I say harsh critisism because I was bitchy about the chord progression being simple, and I did think I was a bit harsh after I left that criticism back then. But, you're not taking as harsh so I guess it's okay.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Feb 26, 2013,