Page 1 of 2
Barricade_28
2,280 IQ
I've been searching for months for a guitar amp to achieve the tone I want but can't quite find it. I want an electric guitar amp that can achieve a monster heavy, metal tone with tons of bass for music similar to Doom metal, somewhat like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRzstDcgO0. I need that deep bass punch since I often only jam with a drummer so I won't have a bass player. I also play thrash metal (Metallica etc) & hard rock (Zeppelin etc), as well as post-rock/indie rock so I need good cleans as well.

I've tried dual/triple rectifier stacks, peavey XXX2 stack, 6505 combo Valveking 212, Vypyr 75 and Vypyr Tube 60...the Valveking and Vypyr 75 (hated the built-in noise gate) come the closest because they have the deepest bass, but nothing seems to get enough low-end.

I'm wondering if I need to play through a bass amp, or some kind of combination of guitar amp and bass cab to get the low-end i'm looking for? Or do I just need an EQ pedal to crank the bass on ie: Valveking 112/212 or JSX 212, or will this not be enough bass or ruin the amp? What about ie: a JSX head running through a bass cab?

edit: I'm looking for a Doom/stoner sound, here's a video of the kind of tone I'm looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKaGjhbA1Ps, especially notice the super heavy palm mutes starting at 2:45

- Budget: under $1000 would be nice
- new or used doesn't matter
- Current gear: Ibanez RG120, Digitech RP250 multi-FX, crappy 15w practice amp
- I play solo at home in my basement, and often jam with just a drummer, sometimes jam with full band.
- My city: Ottawa, Canada
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Dec 2, 2013,
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar
1,110 IQ
Try a Krankenstein +. More bass than ever needed.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
travs2448
1,002 IQ
That tone in the video is probably one of the worst i think i've ever heard. Too each his own though, not trying to troll ya. most of the bass you are hearing is from an actual bass, so you really cant sound like that without a bass player. as for the actual guitar tone it resembles that of a marshall MG with the gain and treble dimed.
Quote by travs2448
is the puppy solid state or tube?

Quote by diceksox1809
solid state. when she screams it pisses me off

^

Quote by GrizzlyFnAdams6
Dimebag had s*** tone and that guitar plays like an abortion. Come at me, bro!

Quote by jpatan
It's because Garth Brooks brings the ****in' br00tz.
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
splawn nitro KT88 with a randall 2x12"+1x15" cab. tons of tha lowz.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
You need a huge clean amp and a fuzz. Like an orange thunder verb, matamp, sunn, ampeg v4, traynor yba, fender twin, Marshall super bass, etc. then put a big muff in front of it.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by ibanezguitars44
You need a huge clean amp and a fuzz. Like an orange thunder verb, matamp, sunn, ampeg v4, traynor yba, fender twin, Marshall super bass, etc. then put a big muff in front of it.

+1

i read doom a little different than i thought you described. and i will be honest i didn't look at the video until after. i for some reason was thinking more of like a deathcore than doom and was kind of sidetracked.

i love old sunn amps. hotdamn.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ

I'm not huge on doom but playing it feels awesome. I plugged my friend's bass into his swollen pickle fuzz and acoustic 150 head and cranked it way up and it was just disgusting and awesome
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by ibanezguitars44

I'm not huge on doom but playing it feels awesome. I plugged my friend's bass into his swollen pickle fuzz and acoustic 150 head and cranked it way up and it was just disgusting and awesome

i love doom and stoner as well but i need it a little (i guess you could say) active to appreciate fully. hence me being a huge acid bath fan.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by sonofgkex
EVH 5150 III 100 W
Most excellent in every way.

i would like to see a demo of this...
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
DJ_Effrey
A metal DJ
600 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup

http://youtu.be/Jh0XqHXFlQ0

Here's one.
Gear:

Schecter Omen-6
Custom-built explorer (my first build)
Schecter Damian-6
Two strat copies
Home-made PitBull Guitars Flying V
Blackstar HT-1RH
Blackstar HT-Metal
Dunlop KH95 Wah
Deadpool_25
1,585 IQ
8-string?
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

ragingkitty
meow?
1,727 IQ
Quote by Deadpool_25
8-string?

That isn't brutal enough.

Get a 10 string and kick the bassist outta the band.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
New_Crisis
568 IQ
An amp like a 5150 or dual rec would get you plenty of low end. The key thing to add to that is a solid cab (orange/mesa/splawn/avatar) and some thicker strings. You'd be shocked how much something as simple as a different string gauge can change your tone.

Check out my band! Endeavor

Fender American Deluxe Telecaster (little 59')
Peavey 5150 II
Orange PPC412
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
Monster Power Pro 900
Korg Pitchblack Pro
Sennheiser EW 172 Wireless
Carvin 6 space rack
Deadpool_25
1,585 IQ
Quote by ragingkitty
That isn't brutal enough.

Get a 10 string and kick the bassist outta the band.

Bah. You can do that with an 8-string. Tosin Abasi approves of this message.
Guitars
- Ibanez S570DXQM
- Ibanez RG7421
- Fender John Mayer Strat
- Fender MIJ Strat
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amps
- Axe FX II XL+
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

DeathByDestroyr
EDM
953 IQ
Just because Sleep worship is a must in any doom thread, I'm going to throw out the Laney AOR Pro Tube 100. It's supposed to be closely related to the JCM800.

I've never played with one, but absolutely crushing live.
'81 Ibanez DT400
'69 Bassman 50
Marshall 1960a
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it
4,127 IQ
Get some bass-heavy pickups in your guitar, if you don't already. Switching to a considerably larger string gauage will also help.

Using EQ units can shape your tone any way you need; if maximum bass thunk is what you want, try setting an EQ to boost the lowest frequencies and stick it in your amp's effects loop.

Make sure you have suitable speakers. You can't get monster bass out of a cheap, single 10"; it's hard not to get huge bass out of a a full stack of V30/T75.

Any valve amp that is powerful enough to comfortably drive two or more 12" speakers will go what you want. Peavey are a good brand for a slightly tighter tone, while Marshall and Orange are both good for a darker, sludgier tone. Of course, there are a million copies of their designs, too.
If you were willing to go for a solid state amp and buy used, I can recommend the Line 6 HD147, too. That thing is built specifically for putting out the heaviest low-end possible. Its lighter tones leave something to be desired, and you need to spend quite a while dialing in tones, but there's no other guitar amp on Earth that can make the floor rumble like the HD147 can.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Reincaster
Call me Rein.
461 IQ
That new Schecter amp has a subwoofer in it.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
arteestic1
unemployment beta tester
588 IQ
Quote by Reincaster

I saw their advertising campaign right when it came out and immediately did a 180....if this is true, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

'08 PRS singlecut
'11 Gibson Les paul studio
'83 Gibson es-335 dot
'11 Taylor 114 ce
Bogner Ubercshall
Hughes and Kettner Triamp cab
r4ster
1,031 IQ
If you are going for Electric wizzard tone, I'd suggest a fuzz pedal, you might want to look at Boss FZ-2, which I believe is what Electric Wizard used at their first albums. As far as amp goes, Laney GH100 will do the job just fine. But mind you, that Electric wizard "dark tone" comes from their bass tone, which compliments the guitar.
Gene-Ocide
237 IQ
Quote by r4ster
If you are going for Electric wizzard tone, I'd suggest a fuzz pedal, you might want to look at Boss FZ-2, which I believe is what Electric Wizard used at their first albums. As far as amp goes, Laney GH100 will do the job just fine. But mind you, that Electric wizard "dark tone" comes from their bass tone, which compliments the guitar.

This. I'd also look at the Laney AOR100 since that's what Liz uses.
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
Barricade_28
2,280 IQ
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1

i read doom a little different than i thought you described. and i will be honest i didn't look at the video until after. i for some reason was thinking more of like a deathcore than doom and was kind of sidetracked.

i love old sunn amps. hotdamn.

I'm not looking to play pure Doom. I just want a tone in that realm that has the gain and loads of bass. I know a bassist would be ideal, but I want to recreate a decent high-bass sound with just myself and a drummer.
bburritt1
Sauron Hates EMG's......
188 IQ
Yeah if you like kranks try Stiff Amps. Im not getting paid by them. I just really think these amps need more credit. There just revoiced and improved models that Tony made for Krank. The Dirthead would be the one i would recomend for you. $500 for the 20w and 600 for the 50w and 900 for the 100w as of last month it might change. All the gain and eq balance to find the best tone possible. And lowend for days!!!!! Hope you find your tone bud! Good luck!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
monwobobbo
607 IQ
if you can find a Peavey Ultra they have tons of bass. the eq is active so you can boast the bass. as mentioned for electric wizard a fuzz is needed. i recommend a DOD Fuzz as they put out a heavy distortion sound with plenty of bass.
Another Won
I like Dream Theater
142 IQ
sorry but, its not the amp dude,

its the cabinet, get a dual rectifier and a hughes and kettner CC412B and you will shit your damn pants.

I have carvin legacy and it sounds like a switched heads from my USA carvin cab and my avatar, and those are good damn cabinets.
I still like Dream Theater
woad_yurt
959 IQ
What he said.

If you want to get serious about it, use an octave pedal and play through bass & guitar rigs simultaneously. Look at some 15s & 18s, too.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Feb 27, 2013,
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup

Quote by DJ_Effrey

i am not sure if you didn't understand or just don't know what you are thinking.

i was refering to one doing doom metal. it won't do it. i was jesting sarcastically.

honestly did you hear the demo? that isn't 5153 kind of tone.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Mesa Dual tripple are 2 of the most bass heavy amps that are made.

I agree that your cab/speakers will have a huge impact. To me it seems that the Celestion G12h30 or clones are the best type of speaker for doom/stoner.

Laney AOR
Orange OR50
Orange Thunderverb
Matamp
Electric Amp

All great for doom/stoner
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
AxSilentxLine
Artist In The Ambulance
1,216 IQ
It's already been said, but that tone is from a full band with a bass guitar. You'd be hard pressed to replicate that tone with a guitar alone.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by AxSilentxLine
It's already been said, but that tone is from a full band with a bass guitar. You'd be hard pressed to replicate that tone with a guitar alone.

+1
My band is pretty heavy (kinda mastadon/ASG type sound, and I use quite brite settings: Bass 7-8, Mids 6-7, Treble 8-9, Presence 4

The guitars sound pretty heavy, but they are still fully distinguishable from the bass. We play in D-standard and Drop C, but that is nothing when compared to all the guys tuning to god knows what now days
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
tas38
UG's Michael Westen
1,189 IQ
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1
My band is pretty heavy (kinda mastadon/ASG type sound, and I use quite brite settings: Bass 7-8, Mids 6-7, Treble 8-9, Presence 4

The guitars sound pretty heavy, but they are still fully distinguishable from the bass. We play in D-standard and Drop C, but that is nothing when compared to all the guys tuning to god knows what now days

I play in double drop d.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by tas38
I play in double drop d.

you are such a show-off

I love it when people ask what tuning I use in my hardcore/punk band and I tell them E standard and they give me a blank stare
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 27, 2013,
icronic
2,638 IQ
Use a POG2 and crank up the -1 and -2 octave sliders.
Robbgnarly
Tab Contributor
1,177 IQ
Quote by monwobobbo
if you can find a Peavey Ultra they have tons of bass. the eq is active so you can boast the bass. as mentioned for electric wizard a fuzz is needed. i recommend a DOD Fuzz as they put out a heavy distortion sound with plenty of bass.

The Ultra/XXX/JSX are very bright amps
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ippon
Amped
1,526 IQ
Quote by Barricade_28
... with tons of bass for music similar to Doom metal,

I'm wondering if I need to play through a bass amp, or some kind of combination of guitar amp and bass amp to get the low-end i'm looking for? ...

Triple Rec through EVM12Ls or stretch your budget and get a Thunderverb 200 which is very good for both guitar and bass, also through EVM12Ls.

Or, use your existing amp + a Traynor YBA200 + EV115.

jpnyc
Banned
1,023 IQ
If you need doom metal tone with massive bass you need to go with Green amps.

Not that a guitar, or for that matter a bass, outputs frequencies that low. I guess maybe it starts to make sense if you’re downturning a five string bass, but there aren’t many people actually doing that.
godgrinder
414 IQ
Run a fuzz pedal into a Fender Bassman type amp then have a 1x15" and a 2x12" should help.
Or just buy an octave pedal, take a split of your guitar signal to that then run that into a bass amp to fill up the low end.
I've done both during different phase of my band and they both work.
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
trashedlostfdup
diet coke fiend.
13,435 IQ
Quote by jpnyc
If you need doom metal tone with massive bass you need to go with Green amps.

Not that a guitar, or for that matter a bass, outputs frequencies that low. I guess maybe it starts to make sense if you’re downturning a five string bass, but there aren’t many people actually doing that.

i do have to point out that 15"s can sound very good. i have a Randall cab that has 1x15" Legend +2x12" T75's (oddly i know the combination works though) i can run any amp on it and it sounds deeper than my other cabs. right now my nitro is on top of it and its bassy as hell.

15"s work well but you just need to have the right frequency resoponse. i am sure that an actual subwoofer would have a different frequency response, but the proper 15" can sound great on a six stringer.

i hardly EVER down tune. E std/ drop D. athough i do have two guitars in C#std (drop B), but they don't see near as much use.

i have two empty cabs that i built that are pretty much done after i get the speakers and decide what i want. one will be just a straight up 15" the other is big enough for 2x10"s but probably will be a large 1x12"
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7