deepfat
2,368 IQ
Other than the Minor Pentatonic, that is.

Natural Minor maybe?
reenarai602
Banned
10 IQ
he music scales that are used in Lead Rock music differ from band to band, but predominantly the pentatonic, blues, major and natural minor scales are used.

camp kanatal
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Major, minor, and occassionally pentatonic, harmonic minor, and diminished, will cover nearly all music of any genre.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Lol even the spambot knew the answer to this one
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Dragon Scales!
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
StuartBahn
122 IQ
This really depends on the chords you're playing over.

If the underlying chords are a IV V vi progression (like a lot of Iron Maiden) then natural minor (mode 6) is the most appropriate option. If the underlying progression is centred around a V-chord then you could go with Mixolydian or, for a more bluesy option, Dorian.

These are not fixed rules but the context really makes a big difference to what works best.
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
(Buries head in sand)
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Spaztikko
2,246 IQ
Quote by Hail
Dragon Scales!

This is good. I agree with this.
bondmorkret
168 IQ
Try the dorian mode, works really well over minor chord based stuff, has a little bit more edge to it than the natural minor. But really, try to mix up your scales, that will always sound coolest!
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by StuartBahn

.This

Quote by StuartBahn
If the underlying chords are a IV V vi progression (like a lot of Iron Maiden) then natural minor (mode 6) is the most appropriate option. If the underlying progression is centred around a V-chord then you could go with Mixolydian or, for a more bluesy option, Dorian.

These are not fixed rules but the context really makes a big difference to what works best.

But not this. A progression can't be centered around V chord or vi chord. It's centered around the I or i chord.

Key center is always the I or i chord, that's what it means when the song is centered around a chord - it's the key center.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Feb 27, 2013,
EmilGD
Unregistered User
93 IQ
Quote by Hail
Dragon Scales!

What do you recommend out of Romanian Longhorn and Swedish Short-Snout?
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by StuartBahn

This is really not a good answer to give to a beginner. If he's asking what scales he should learn after the pentatonic, you probably shouldn't expect him to understand anything about modes, or numeralled chord progressions. Also as somebody else said, it can't be 'centered around a V-chord.' No need to pretend modes are being used where they aren't.
StuartBahn
122 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
A progression can't be centered around V chord or vi chord. It's centered around the I or i chord.

Key center is always the I or i chord, that's what it means when the song is centered around a chord - it's the key center.

This is of course true but describing progressions from a major scale perspective is easier to understand if a person is not so far down the theory road yet.
Professional Guitarist and Guitar Educator
www.StuartBahn.com
Join my mailing list to receive a on creating an effective practice regime.
Mister A.J.
Ker-Blang-a-Woggle
318 IQ
Quote by StuartBahn
This is of course true but describing progressions from a major scale perspective is easier to understand if a person is not so far down the theory road yet.

First off, if he's not far down the theory road, why are you talking about modes to him? Secondly, major/minor scales and modes are nowhere near the same thing, and should not even be even remotely considered as the same thing.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
AeolianWolf
Tonal Vigilante
186 IQ
Quote by StuartBahn

so then describe it from a major scale perspective.

if you're suggesting that music that utilizes the notes in the C major scale that revolves around G as a tonic can't be considered G major, i suggest you head back to your books.

and no, guitar grimoire doesn't count.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
431 IQ
Quote by AeolianWolf

and no, guitar grimoire doesn't count.

my friend dragged me to guitar center to look at their ethnic instruments and saw guitar grimoire so i made fun of it and an employee overheard and was like 'guitar grimoire? why i think that's easily the best tool for a musical education we have here'

he had green bangs
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
Macabre_Turtle
UG's UGer
640 IQ
Quote by Hail
my friend dragged me to guitar center to look at their ethnic instruments and saw guitar grimoire so i made fun of it and an employee overheard and was like 'guitar grimoire? why i think that's easily the best tool for a musical education we have here'

he had green bangs

Seeing as he was at Guitar Center, he's probably not wrong.