Page 1 of 2
Lightnin08
335 IQ
He's a straight-up rock guitar player and probably my biggest influnce in rock guitar playing. His style is very blues-based which is really cool. He plays mean but with a lot of feeling. I like his playing when he was GNR the best, but I also like some of his solo and session work as well. Here's some of my favorite guitar songs that he does in no particular order: Nightrain, Starlight, Civil War, Sweet Child O Mine, Knocking on Heaven's Door, Patience, Back and Forth Again, Street Child, and Gotten.
SlashWannabe1
540 IQ
Slash is awesome! GNR is always the work you look at and hold as the standard but his new albums are really great! songs like Starlight,Nothing To Say, Anastasia,Halo,No More Heroes,We Will Roam,Standing In The Sun....all amazing songs!
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Yes, he really is. I love the song Starlight. That's my favorite off his first solo album. I also like By the Sword, Gotten, and Beautiful Dangerous. Standing In The Sun is pretty good as well.
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by plankboy
Don't forget the stuff he did with Velvet Revolver too, like slither

I've never really listened to Velvet Revolver. One song that I like that they do is Fall To Pieces. I think that's what it's called.
SGstriker
UG Addict
3,556 IQ
Check out Sucker Train Blues by VR. That's a tight track, and he has a great solo on it.

I love his solo stuff more than most of GnR's catalog, save maybe Appetite. can't beat Appetite. Halo kicks so much ass. So does Carolina (bonus track off of Apocalyptic Love)
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Yeah, I love Appetite and I love some of the songs off the Illusion albums too. Sucker Train Blues I'll need to check out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Last edited by Lightnin08 at Mar 2, 2013,
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
Not going to disagree as he's one of my two favourite guitarists as well (alongside Billy Duffy), but is there a point to this thread?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes
5,773 IQ
Quote by Lightnin08
I didn't know a thread had to make points. I was just posting a thread about Slash.

Well yeah... there kinda has to be a point. A forum is a place of discussion. We can't really discuss the fact you like Slash...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well yeah... there kinda has to be a point. A forum is a place of discussion. We can't really discuss the fact you like Slash...

Usually threads likes these get other fans to start talking about why they like a certain artist. That was the point of this thread. More of a "Hey, I like him too." type of thread.
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by whywefight
I don't like Slash.

Discuss.

I think you're wanting me to delete my forum or get mad at the fact that you don't like Slash. Not gonna happen.
whywefight
~I'm not fuckin around~
1,765 IQ
Quote by Lightnin08
I think you're wanting me to delete my forum or get mad at the fact that you don't like Slash. Not gonna happen.

So the point of the thread is to circlejerk?
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by whywefight

So the point of the thread is to circlejerk?

Good grief....I'm gonna just overlook that comment.
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by whywefight
I think you deserve honesty. Honestly, I find GNR revolting. Velvet Revolver's k.

I understand that not everyone is going to like everyone's favorite player in music. That's one of the things about music. Everyone has who they like and who they don't like. It's a personal opinion and preference.
Lightnin08
335 IQ
I've already seen that vid before. Slash has gotten a lot bigger since this vid. Muscle wise I mean.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Quote by Lightnin08
I've already seen that vid before. Slash has gotten a lot bigger since this vid. Muscle wise I mean.

As far as Guns N' Roses goes, Axl got fat and Slash pulled a Carrot Top.
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by treborillusion
As far as Guns N' Roses goes, Axl got fat and Slash pulled a Carrot Top.

LOL very true. Can't argue there.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Quote by Lightnin08
LOL very true. Can't argue there.

But credit where credit's due, I mean, I think Slash has gotten better.

Like, his Solo at that show he did in Stoke in 2011 was different than a Guns N' Roses solo of his, both great, I mean, those Slash Guns N' Roses solos were pretty cool to begin with, now his almost machine like vibrato scares the shit out of me... A little...

From this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-8OWsICfs

To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCSysw7IQcE
Quote by laid-to-waste
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
Last edited by treborillusion at Mar 2, 2013,
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by treborillusion
But credit where credit's due, I mean, I think Slash has gotten better.

Like, his Solo at that show he did in Stoke in 2011 was different than a Guns N' Roses solo of his, both great, I mean, those Slash Guns N' Roses solos were pretty cool to begin with, now his almost machine like vibrato scares the shit out of me... A little...

From this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k-8OWsICfs

To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCSysw7IQcE

I agree I think he has gotten a bit more fluid with his playing. He seems to be doing a lot more legato like licks than he did in GNR. The chord progressions to the songs seem more composed and thoought out if that makes sense. To me, he's starting to take his playing more serious. Not that he wasn't taking it serious in GNR, but you get what I mean I think.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Yeah, besides, I'm thinking... His career/all that practise... Naturally you progress, espeically if you've done it enough. I do see what you mean, is why I said 'yeah' - I think we all mellow out or whatever but, I don't know him... Plays some badass (good) guitar though. Either I got lucky when I was a kid or, I have taste, either way, wicked guitarist... I'm sure you agree though OP-Person that Slash plays some Mean guitar, cool thread.
Quote by laid-to-waste
Last edited by treborillusion at Mar 3, 2013,
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by treborillusion
Yeah, besides, I'm thinking... His career/all that practise... Naturally you progress, espeically if you've done it enough. I do see what you mean, is why I said 'yeah' - I think we all mellow out or whatever but, I don't know him... Plays some badass (good) guitar though. Either I got lucky when I was a kid or, I have taste, either way, wicked guitarist.

Yeah, he's definitely one of the best rock guitar players of all time. I'm glad I discovered him too. I love how he is so bluesy on some of his stuff. The way he incorporates blues licks in rock. A lot of people thinks he's overated but I don't see how.
Last edited by Lightnin08 at Mar 3, 2013,
SGstriker
UG Addict
3,556 IQ
Quote by Lightnin08
Yeah, he's definitely one of the best rock guitar players of all time. I'm glad I discovered him too. I love how he is so bluesy on some of his stuff. The way he incorporates blues licks in rock. A lot of people thinks he's overated but I don't see how.

I'm a big Slash fan. Seriously, he's in my top 3 as far as influences on me, along with Angus Young and SRV. But I can see why people think he's overrated. He's everywhere.

That being said, I think he deserves the exposure. And I still admire him greatly.
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by SGstriker
I'm a big Slash fan. Seriously, he's in my top 3 as far as influences on me, along with Angus Young and SRV. But I can see why people think he's overrated. He's everywhere.

That being said, I think he deserves the exposure. And I still admire him greatly.

Yeah man, he's in my top 3 as well. I think the main reason why people may find him overrated is because like you said he's everywhere. Talent wise, I've only heard a couple throw off on his playing. He may not be the fastest player, but he plays with a lot of soul.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Okay, to be honest, Slash set the standard on what guitar should sound like, for young me.

So all that rock/bluesy playing and that tone... Was just cool guitar.

I remember liking Bed of Roses by Bon Jovi too, as a kid, and thinking with the intro
'Wow, these guys are alright, but Estranged is better.'
Quote by laid-to-waste
SGstriker
UG Addict
3,556 IQ
Okay. Here's a new topic for you all. Favorite vocalist Slash has worked with?

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?
One of his vocalists for Slash's Snakepit?

I've actually liked every vocalist he's worked with. However, I think Myles Kennedy is my favorite. Axl is a close second. Eric Dover (Slash's Snakepit) is not far behind Axl. I like Weiland, but live, he just didn't hold up. Studio wise, he's great.
Myles Kennedy is my favorite by far though.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,310 IQ
Quote by SGstriker

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?

I've actually liked every vocalist he's worked with. However, I think Myles Kennedy is my favorite. Axl is a close second. Eric Dover (Slash's Snakepit) is not far behind Axl. I like Weiland, but live, he just didn't hold up. Studio wise, he's great.

What about Michael Jackson?

Gotta be Axl for me though, then Myles.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
Quote by SGstriker

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?

Buick Mackane (Big Dumb Sex)
I didn't know this was a T Rex cover and liked T Rex for the stupidest of all reasons as a kid... I saw Guns N' Roses wear T Rex tshirts in their videos and stuff and people in my family telling me I went to the same school as someone in T Rex when I was a child, Rockmount in Upper Norwood... I liked that, I didn't even know the song I liked was by them.
Then I found out... Then again, years later thanks to YouTube... I found out that Slash sang on that one! -- I thought that was cool, that voice... I thought It was both Axl Rose and that it had been mixed, I just ASSUMED that, so as an adult, finding out Slash sang on that and was that other voice, was pretty cool.

I liked Axl Rose, Eric Dover the best, also Duff McKagan's & Izzy Stradlin too.
Lenny Kravitz! & La Chic & Alice Cooper & Andrew Stockdale & Ozzy Osbourne & Lemmy Kilmister Iggy Pop, Rhianna were my favourites.
Shannon Hoon... Don't Cry really is made with that guy. R.I.P though. -- But that song, live as well with that guy, was a another level of cool. -- You know he was on the record right UG?
Quote by laid-to-waste
Lightnin08
335 IQ
Quote by SGstriker

Axl Rose?
Scott Weiland?
Myles Kennedy?

Wow this is a great question. I think you have to pick someone that compliments his style of playing the best. I haven't heard much of Weiland to say how I think of him, but Axl, Myles, and Eric (who is highly underrated) are awesome. However, I'm gonna have to say Axl. But this is just my opinion.
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C1KwkxIPcQ
Slash – lead guitar, co-lead vocals on "Buick Mackane (Big Dumb Sex)

Also, this isn't him singing but I like this still.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjsH5mT33Pg
I'm sure you Slash fans have seen this before.
Quote by laid-to-waste
ron666
226 IQ
I agree that Slash is probably one of the best guitar players. I think his best solo was probably the one in the middle of November Rain.

ron666
treborillusion
UG Fanatic
3,126 IQ
One of Guns N' Roses's more funnier moments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3HGzO1UUI0
Quote by laid-to-waste
RebelDawg13
94 IQ
For those who haven't listened to the more obscure Use Your Illusions stuff, look up Don't Damn Me, The Garden, and Pretty Tied Up. All three have incredible solos and Don't Damn Me boasts one of Slash's best riffs.