Heyo,

So i'm doin some home recording like i always do but there's always been a question for me when it comes to bass. I think i should get some help for this cuz it always comes around and bites me in the ass.

When im tracking bass and mxing it in, i cna never figure out how to make it sound fluid and even like all the pro recordings do. Not even pro recordings, just any good mix.

My problems mostly arise in certain notes on the bass always popping out and booming over the mix. I always use my compresser and eq to try and fix this but i always end up turning the bass down to get rid of the problem but i know i'm just burrying the issue.

Can somebody help me and tell me why the bass loves to do that??? Doesn't matte rwhat bass i record, there's just some natural notes that when they get hit, the bass response just kicks in x3 and it booms through everything. I don't want that, i want every note to be even and resonate the same.

Am i just stupid here? I never hear those issues on major releases, and I understand i dont have a multi-million dollar studio, but this should be something a person can handle and i can't figure out a way.

Hopefully you guys can help me here!

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
GEAR

Schecter Synyster Custom w/ EVH D TUNA
Peavey EVH Wolfgang w/ EVH D TUNA
Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Marshall Valvestate AVT 50h Head
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Female Fronted Pop/Punk Right HERE For Ya!
To put it simple, compress the shit out of it & ride the fader. You can automate the fader in your DAW so that it turns down for those volume, plenty of vids on youtube. Or, if your lazy, pick up Waves Bass Rider.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
How are you recording the bass? DI or amp?
Are these notes normally louder? like when you play into an amp are they louder?

Have you tried a Multi-Band compressor? otherwise yeah just automate the volume (or EQ). Also if it's just certain notes that do it, find out which notes and do some notching on the frequencies those notes produce.
First off, thanks for the insight everybody!

Chatterbox: I'm DI-ing right now. I'll either use some of the bass stuff in guitar rig 5 plus DAW FX, or i'll use some impulses and the boogex loader. Depends on what i wanna do. I ussually try scooping out frequenecies but at the end of the day i find i'm just stealing away more and more of the bass tone. I like a good solid bottom and some good high end in the bass sound but i'll always just cut it all away with the eq.

I'm gonna take a look at the suggestions made so far and try em out on a new track i'm working on and get back to ya. We'll see how she goes.
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

Also with the volume automation suggestion. I get automation and all that, but could i ask for a link to one of those videos? I don't really know what to type into the search bar for this lol.
GEAR

Custom Purple Strat
LTD EX400BD
Gibson SG-X
Peavey 4x12 Stereo Cab

I'm assuming Reaper. Try Reaper Automation Tutorial, lots of Videos on it
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Maybe I'm just lazy, but I rarely have to ride the fader or automate levels. If the notes are still popping out and such, I just increase the ratio on the compressor.

Which brings me to my suggestions:

ratio = how much it gets compressed. Not enough? Increase the ratio!
attack = how quickly the compressor bites down on the signal. Not biting down fast enough? Lower the attack time.
release = how slowly the compressor lets go of the signal. Signal popping out a few ms or so after the attack? Increase the release time.

Just be careful of over-compressing and sucking all the life out of it.

That all said, there is something to be said for good technique. A good bass player will be able to play a bass part that doesn't need to have the sh!t compressed out of it. (unless slapping and popping are involved...) It might be worth working on your playing technique, because in the end, the less processing you need to do, the better.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.