Page 1 of 2
I've (luckily) never been to a funeral or anything like that, so up until very recently, I had never seen a dead person in real life.
Yesterday, we got introduced to the cadaver lab in med school, and it was pretty surreal. I honestly thought going into it that I would deal with it badly and faint/feel nauseous, but surprisingly I was fine. Even when the demonstrator opened him up and started showing us the inside, I wasn't real fazed (too much internet maybe?). Next week we start our actual dissections, so maybe when I'm doing it myself it will be different, but who knows.

Anyway, I found it really interesting talking to my classmates about how they found (Ranging from fascination to near-fainting), and I'm wondering what the pit's opinion on it is?
Can't say I've ever seen a dead body, but I daresay the sight of one would give me a belt snapping erection.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I saw my grandma's body at her funeral and it was pretty shitty seeing it. So yea, it's pretty shitty.
I saw my dad's dead body at his funeral and it didn't really affect me at all. Seeing a dead body that hasn't been cleaned and dressed would probably be pretty shocking though.
"Dead bodies" is pretty vague.

On a side note... Kiwi med school... that's a funny thought.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
"Dead bodies" is pretty vague.

On a side note... Kiwi med school... that's a funny thought.

I was meaning to be vague, to cover everything from funerals, dissections, and accidents.

And what are you saying about NZ med schools :P, we are often ranked top 50 in the world.
I cried for 4 days over a fly I killed last week. I'd probably kill myself seeing a dead human
Quote by GoldfishMoon
I was meaning to be vague, to cover everything from funerals, dissections, and accidents.

And what are you saying about NZ med schools :P, we are often ranked top 50 in the world.

lol.
fuck it
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I've only ever seen one at my aunt's funeral. I think she kind of distanced herself from all family members, but I do remember her being quite caring.

I guess the best way to put it would be, all emotions kinda just came to a standstill. I wasn't depressed, just a tad bit sad. But I'm also the kind of guy to believe a better place exists after death, and I think there was a point where I remembered that, so that might've helped with that too.

Quote by sam b
I cried for 4 days over a fly I killed last week. I'd probably kill myself seeing a dead human

When I was playing Assassins Creed 3, I shot a cat by accident because I wanted to see if it would let me. I felt freaking terrible so I literally turned off my console as soon as I did so the game wouldn't know I did that and so the kitty would live!

It did.

I'm okay with killing everyone else in the game though.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 2, 2013,
Quote by Todd Hart
Can't say I've ever seen a dead body, but I daresay the sight of one would give me a belt snapping erection.

That was unexpected.

I've been to a ton of funerals, so I've seen a lot of made-up dead bodies. While surreal to see someone you once knew in such a lifeless, doll like state, it's not horrible. I imagine seeing a dead body elsewhere would be quite different. Still not horrible for me though, I'm kind of curious about it
it really depends if i know the person or not, i had to work in a nursing home for school and had to wash a person that died, it felt awkward but once you're busy you don't notice that anymore.
on the other hand one of my best friends died and when i visited him in the morgue it was even more strange, possibly because he was already in rigor mortis and his hands felt like ice
"If I tell you I'm good, you would probably think I'm boasting. If I tell you I'm no good, you know I'm lying."
I usually bury them before the red mist lifts, so I'm not sure.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
I have a hard time seeing skeletons on tv.
But yeah i've been to a funeral as well.
Something about lifeless bodies, especially skeletons
No reaction. I mean if it was someone I knew, yeah, but then it would be more like "why are you dead" not "ITS A BODY"
cat
I've seen an dead old lady at a funeral home once, from like 15 feet away. Wasn't that bad.

I mean, I've some a lot of grisly/totally batshit ****ed up things, but on the internet. Ah, the world of the interwebz...

I don't think I'd react nuts to a dead person, depends on the situation really. But I'm just not the person to freak out at shit like that. I still gag when I see someone puke though lol, maybe that's just a reflex. But I don't get the reactions that some people get with blood or meat or whatever. Like when people see that picture of the slurry which makes up hot dogs, they usually start going like ''ewwww that's ****ing gross''/starts gagging, and I'm more like, wow, that's ****ing gross, I wonder why it's all pasty like that.

I don't know, I guess it all depends on the situation. Sufficed to say I'm not weak towards dead people or generally gross shit, considering I grew up watching like explicit surgeries on tv while eating my dinner after coming home from school. It was actually really educative.
I've seen a decent amount of dead bodies from funerals, car accidents, random internet videos.

the conclusion I came to is that the dead part doesn't bother me. It's how they died that messes with me. Seeing someone on the side of the road with their head bashed open with brain and blood everywhere is a hell of a lot different than just seeing a random dead body somewhere. It's the gore that is shocking, not the body laying there.

As far as the whole seeing a friend/family member dead (such as at a funeral) to me is a hard thing emotionally, but I rationalize it by saying that they "are in a better place" or "they're not in pain anymore". I really would like to believe that, and it helps me deal with it.

I also think there is a whole mindset thing to get over too - sometimes, you need to turn off your emotions in order to deal with the situation. Kind of the same deal as what they teach soldiers for combat situations. Don't think about it, just act instinctively.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Mar 2, 2013,
My best friend died when I was 14 so unfortunately I was introduced to death at a rather young age. I think it's no stretch of the imagination to think that it shaped my perspective about life permanently. My father is a surgeon so I've also seen plenty of surgeries & I've been accustomed to seeing rather graphic images of the human body for quite some time.
In my early twenties I trained to be an EMT and on my very first day doing rotations while training in Brooklyn we were called to a scene where two men had burned to death in a mini-van. I mean charred to the bone they looked like burnt steaks. One dude was found lying on the back and the other way was so badly burned that his skin had melted onto the chair and they had to put a blanket over the body because they couldn't remove it. I was rather dumbfounded but not disgusted or overwhelmed. Just one of those "holy shit" moments.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Quote by everythingdies
I've been to dozens of funerals. Bodies are pretty meh.

Your name fits so perfectly.
ayy lmao
Currently training to be in surgery and we've had deaths on the table before. You just get used to it.
My favourite uncle shot himself in the mouth while I was in the room.

Meth is a hell of a drug.

It's not as bad as you'd think.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Quote by Mind_Reader7

That's pretty messed up dude....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
When I was a kid I used to vomit all over the place during funerals. Then when I once went to the morgue to see my mums grandma I didn't (in Finland we don't see the body during funerals, just the chest). Since that I haven't even cried during funerals.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Dead bodies themselves don't bother me, no matter the state of the corpse or method of death.

Friends' bodies notwithstanding, of course. But that's different.
My God, it's full of stars!
A body at a wake/funeral doesn't bother me. But seeing one that is ls laying in the same place they died (I saw a bad car accident once), that's a different story.
FORZA CATANIA
Quote by Mind_Reader7

I used to help a guy clean up people's houses after stuff like this and crime scenes. You get used to it. Had a job once where a kid blew his head off with a shotgun and we had to pick up the skull fragments and pry out the buckshot from the ceiling.

$2000 dollars ya get for a job like that. It was a good job while it lasted. I've seen hundreds. You get desensitized pretty quickly.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Never really bothered me. Got dragged to funerals when I was little, and they were always old people.
Quote by cndoman
Never really bothered me. Got dragged to funerals when I was little, and they were always old people.

Pretty much this. I saw the dead body of my great-grandmother before the morticians came to get the body. It only really affected me because it was my great-grandmother.

However, there's a hugely paranoid side of me that always expects the dead bodies to come back to life.
Quote by KiLLSWiTCH-KnoT
it's like I make threads knowing they're gonna be shit but I make them anyway

Quote by kertets
Wire his sack to the electrical socket the next time, little fucker will be shootin lightening bolts all over the house.
I saw my grandfather and it was awful

I didn't go up the casket at my grandmother's because I probably would have broke down

I've been to other funerals and seen them though and was indifferent

So basically, they only affected me because I knew them and was upset about their death.

Also, I've never seen someone at like the scene of an accident. I think that would be different
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 2, 2013,
Quote by chev311e
I saw my grandma's body at her funeral and it was pretty shitty seeing it. So yea, it's pretty shitty.

was going to write a joke response but I saw this response and decided not to

anyway, seeing my grandmother gave me closure so its k
Unfortunately, I think being on r/wtf has desensitized me a bit.
Marching in this labyrinth village
Troll-king claims his maverick throne
Wretching in his cavernous castle
Chewing on flesh, gnawing on bones!
Quote by Todd Hart

Quote by SleepTalkinMan
"Ooh! Straight-jackets online! Christmas sorted."
Page 1 of 2