I've bought low watt heads (HT5), Guitar Rig, PodFarm, the Elevenrack and never been really satisfied with the distorted sound.

So now I'm going for a 25 watt head with probably an Orange 2x12 cab.

Music styles : Heavy rock, Smashing Pumpkins, Korn, Limp Bizkit, QOTSA but HAS to do cleans very nicely or it's a no-no.

Budget : £600.

Many thank yous in advance
Orange TH30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
One-shot thread kill? Well played, Robbgnarly. Well played.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by Deadpool_25
One-shot thread kill? Well played, Robbgnarly. Well played.

Good show indeed good show....
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
The TH30 is an awesome amp... But is there any particular reason you're looking for a 25watt?
Yeah I'm never going to gig it's for recording, so there's no point getting a 50 watt+ amp.
Quote by Chargrill3d
Yeah I'm never going to gig it's for recording, so there's no point getting a 50 watt+ amp.

Even so, the TH30 can hang with a band situation. It is quite loud for being 30 watts
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I guess I'll go against the grain and say that the TH30 may not be tight enough for Bizkit and Korn

But I've never played it tbh. I just have read people say it is a bit loose. Probably perfect for Pumpkins.

Also, why does it have to be 25 watts?

There is a Sticky you should look at. Killing myths.
Quote by Chargrill3d

As mentioned you should read the sticky about tube amp myths.

The short version in my own words.

Wattage = headroom... Not volume

The majority of low wattage amps are designed to be cranked. If they aren't they just don't sound that good.

Higher powered amps tend not to rely so heavily on tube breakup to achieve their sound so they can actually sound quite good even at very low volumes.

There are certainly exceptions, but personally I've yet to find a low wattage amp that I feel sounds good at a bedroom level...

Moral of the story? Forget wattage and find an amp that sounds good at the volume you want to play.
Dude my 20w will make your ears sing. 30 isnt that much difference. 1db maybe
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
there is a volume knob for a reason.....
regardless, the th30 is a good shout
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

30 watts class A is still a beast. a TH30 will be as loud as a 50 watt easy.

wattage =/= volume, regardless it does have power scaling and its an awesome amp
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Just to throw another option out there...Line 6 DT25. Might be the most overlooked amp around. Absolutely amazing amp.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60
Quote by icronic

The majority of low wattage amps are designed to be cranked. If they aren't they just don't sound that good.

Higher powered amps tend not to rely so heavily on tube breakup to achieve their sound so they can actually sound quite good even at very low volumes.

There are certainly exceptions, but personally I've yet to find a low wattage amp that I feel sounds good at a bedroom level...

Moral of the story? Forget wattage and find an amp that sounds good at the volume you want to play.

This is massively eye opening information......

I might have to go and bag an EVH 5150 instead
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by Chargrill3d
This is massively eye opening information......

I might have to go and bag an EVH 5150 instead

Don't listen to that guy, amps that have volume knobs can be used at low levels.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah but my Blackstar HT5 sounded s**t at low levels - that said it didn't sound that great cranked up either when distorted.
The TH30 sounds good low or cranked, now that being said, the EVH 5150III mini is a pretty versitile amp

You can get the TH30 for $800ish at www.humbuckermusic.com, then you call musicians friend have them price match it and take the aditional 10% off that they will.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I was going to buy a th30 or a dt25 and after playing both i chose the dt25. hook a podhd into the l6link on the dt and it kills
Right- a left field one. Try and find a Marshall 30th Anniversary Head. It is 100w, but can be switched to 25w. The amount of tones in this machine are incredible. It's MIDI controlable, 3 channel, and will switch between Plexi, JCM800, JCM 900 JTM45 etc etc..... IMO, the best amp Marshall ever made save the Silver Jub and Plexi.

You'll get one for £600 no bother.
Interesting alternatives there - DT25 looks really great but I'll want a POD HD with it and if I factor in a cab it may push the price up too far.