is it safe to use sugar soap and conventional methods to remove this or are there tried and tested ways? would rather not have the guitar re finished
Virtuoso is great stuff. Dunlop has a deep cleaning kit but im not sure if its just for necks or for both necks and body. Or call a local luthier or repair shop and see what they use.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
It depends on what type of finish your guitar has. Chemicals that are safe to use on poly finishes often are not safe to use on nitro finishes and ones that are safe to use on nitro finishes often do nothing for poly finishes.

Do not do anything until you know what type of finish the guitar has.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
They seem to have their own kind of finish and I'm not sure whether it sways more towards poly or a nitro finish :s
What guitar is it and we can probably tell you what the finish is.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Ah, Rickenbacker are a pain for cleaning. Their weird finish is a type of pre-cat poly, on most models, but there is some inconsistency and they've changed their finish material quite frequently. Many of their finishes bleed colour and absorb stains.

On the Ricks I've worked on before, I found the best thing was to use products intended for nitro finishes (Gibson's are the best I've found for this, though apparently the Fender Custom Shop has a range of good nitro products now; some automotive stores will also carry nitro products) and just accept that you might have to give it a second clean; if the stains haven't shifted after a second try, I would leave it at that and accept that the stains aren't going to shift. Products for poly finishes may work but they may also cause further staining; up to you if you want to take that risk. Other than that, lighter fluid will remove damn near any stain but it could also eat away the finish, making it an even bigger risk.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
^^+1

You may just have a guitar with lots of mojo on your hands, which is kinda what I like.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i havnt bought it yet im trying to weigh up the risk, as its the other side of the country i cant see it before i buy it. and its in a bad state, i think its meant to be maple glo or cream and its like chocoloate brown. like tanned leather you cant even see the fret markers through the shit on it
Um.... mojo?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
'Mapleglo' is just a natural wood finish and will darken over time. Why Rickenbacker add '-glo' to the names of their finishes, I have no idea.
Cream and white finishes will also yellow and darken over time, though it certainly should not look brown.
Yeh the guy who owned this was a heavy smoker the guitar is like chocolate brown because of it from a maple/cream start. It's a shame because I would love to fix it up
Worst case scenario is that you can take it to a tech and see if he has some expierence dealing with finishes. I know you deff dont want to go to the extreme of doing a "refin" because that will kill the value of the guitar.

Or you can contact Rickenbacker and see what they recomend to you. They literaly think there guitars are perfect in everyway so they may give you grief at first but you can always try.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
I think I'm going to have to pass on it I can't see the guitar as its 800 miles away and for £650 it's not an amazing deal if it needs to have hours and a few hundred spent on it :/ I think this is the first time I've wished I was nearer to Edinburg!