I'm looking to put together a rack setup to go with my preamp in the near future but I'm a little confused as to how to match my power amp and cab.

I'm currently using a fairly rubbish but useable 8 ohm, 260 watt 4x12 with two inputs; however, a lot of the power amps I've found online are substantially more watts than this. For instance, if I want to use the Rocktron Velocity 300, which is 150 watt per channel in stereo (not sure of ohms though) or 300 watts mono bridged how would I be able to safely set it up?
Jackson, Peavey, Line 6 <3
Last edited by NetherSpirit at Mar 2, 2013,
If you don't crank it all the way up it shouldn't be a problem.

If you're really worried, then set it up for stereo, but only use one channel for all four speakers and keep the volume all the way down on the other channel. Maybe hook up a dummy load on the other channel just in case.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS100

$180 more than the Rocktron and well worth it.

EDIT: Besides, when you use your cab in stereo mode, you'll have two sides at 16Ω each and the power amp certainly won't deliver full power into that load. You'll be fine.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Last edited by mmolteratx at Mar 2, 2013,
Quote by NetherSpirit
I'm looking to put together a rack setup to go with my preamp in the near future but I'm a little confused as to how to match my power amp and cab.

I'm currently using a fairly rubbish but useable 8 ohm, 260 watt 4x12 with two inputs; however, a lot of the power amps I've found online are substantially more watts than this. For instance, if I want to use the Rocktron Velocity 300, which is 150 watt per channel in stereo (not sure of ohms though) or 300 watts mono bridged how would I be able to safely set it up?

like jetwash mentioned, you don't crank it out. you will hear when the speakers won't wanna go any louder, you get unpleasant distortions.

i use a 1000 watt per side stereo power amp on a pair of 200 watt rated cabs. i have no problems, you just gotta keep the output low enough.

also, with solid state power amps you can run a higher impedance to lower the output of the amp. for example, my crown's output is ~1000 watts at 4 ohms, but i run 8 ohm cabinets so the amp's max output decrease to like ~700/800 watts. if i ran 16 ohm cabs with the amp it'd be lowered to ~500/600 watts.

tube power amps don't work this way (mainly because of the output transformer tube amps use). that TS100 is a tube rackmount and it will need a matched impedance and it will have max output of ~100 watts at any impedance setting available.

Quote by mmolteratx
http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/TS100

$180 more than the Rocktron and well worth it.

EDIT: Besides, when you use your cab in stereo mode, you'll have two sides at 16Ω each and the power amp certainly won't deliver full power into that load. You'll be fine.

i've looked at those before, still considering getting one just to try it out. i could use it with all sorts of software and hardware i have sitting around
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks for the help guys!

Right, eventually I'll be looking to get a Carvin or Matrix power amp, when I have a little more cash at hand. However, until then would something like an Alesis RA150 or Samson Servo 200/300 be alright for the time being?

I'll be running an Engl E570 or POD HD500 through it, if that makes any difference.
Jackson, Peavey, Line 6 <3
Last edited by NetherSpirit at Mar 3, 2013,