Page 1 of 2
whenever i'm in a guitar store, be it guitar center or a local place, when i try out an amp or a guitar i always suck because there's people around

i've been playing for 3 years, and would consider myself a decent guitar player, i jam playing my original metal songs just fine at home. but when people are around, just ugh

and i'm going to be in a band soon i have to take care of this issue

any of you have the same problem?
Wrong forum dude, try Musician Talk.
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
No. I've learned that you're not in a guitar store to impress people with your playing. You're there to buy gear.

And when it comes to playing around other people, you just have to get used to it and to be comfortable with what you're playing.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
True story: you're only as good of a musician as you are under realistic circumstances (ie not practicing in your bedroom). Unless you can play it in front of people or in the studio during a recording session (while recording, since there is no pressure between takes really) more or less on the spot with minimal warmup time and with an adequate level of proficiency where you don't cringe at your own playing (either in real time or during playback), you can't "really" play it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by adamgur96
Wrong forum dude, try Musician Talk.

Nope. This topic has nothing to do with music theory.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by theogonia777
True story: you're only as good of a musician as you are under realistic circumstances (ie not practicing in your bedroom). Unless you can play it in front of people or in the studio during a recording session (while recording, since there is no pressure between takes really) more or less on the spot with minimal warmup time and with an adequate level of proficiency where you don't cringe at your own playing (either in real time or during playback), you can't "really" play it.

Yea, I'm a worse musician than my bedroom guitar playing might imply, and I'm pretty bad as a bedroom guitarist atm
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm the guy who goes in there to play guitars I can't afford.

That's me about 99.97% of the time i'm in a music store
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Last edited by adamgur96 at Mar 2, 2013,
I've never played in a guitar store

But I play better in front of people usually

sucks to be you TS!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by rockingamer2

Yeah, because Musician Talk is dedicated solely to discussions on music theory.

Quote by Hydra150
Yea, I'm a worse musician than my bedroom guitar playing might imply, and I'm pretty bad as a bedroom guitarist atm

It's like if you study for a test. You know all the information. And then you take the test and don't remember any of it. For all practical purposes (when it actually counts), you didn't really know the material.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Mar 2, 2013,
Quote by rockingamer2

It has a lot to do with confidence and musicianship (which I almost misspelled as 'musician shop, ironically), which belong in MT.
Quote by theogonia777

For all practical purposes (when it actually counts), you didn't really know the material.

Good thing it never actually counts for me.
Only that isn't a good thing.
Quote by theogonia777
Yeah, because Musician Talk is dedicated solely to discussions on music theory.

That's the main topic. Other related topics are placed there, but by and large, it's the music theory forum. The issue TS isn't relevant to the forum at all.

Quote by Musician Talk forum description
Grab your axe, come on in and discuss Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising, Sight reading and more!

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Last edited by rockingamer2 at Mar 2, 2013,
Quote by rockingamer2
Quote by Musician Talk forum description
Grab your axe, come on in and discuss Music Theory, Writing & Composition, Improvising, Sight reading and more!

Also, one could say this relates to improvisation, since most issues improvisation come from a lack of confidence and experience in coming up with music on the spot, which is similar to TS's problem. But anyway, I'm gonna PM an admin to have the term 'musicianship' edited as the first term in that description.
Quote by Hydra150
Also, one could say this relates to improvisation, since most issues improvisation come from a lack of confidence and experience in coming up with music on the spot, which is similar to TS's problem. But anyway, I'm gonna PM an admin to have the term 'musicianship' edited as the first term in that description.

That's cool. If I was mistaken, then I was mistaken. Anything to make the actual purpose of that forum clearer is great.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
well, ts, what i just do is, i take all of my clothes off when i go to the guitar store. i take mexican fender strat on the middle pickup, insert it in the line 6 spider iv superstack on the cleanest twinkliest setting. then i connect the line out from the spider into a mesa triple rec on the highest gain setting with everything except the mids on 11. then i tune the strat audibly to FACGCE, and do little hammerons and pulloffs with my balls on the 4th and 2nd frets on the c-strings. everybody in the guitar store starts crying and clapping because its the saddest twinkling midwest emo revival theyve ever heard. at some points my pulloffs and hammerons become so strong pubes are in everybody's faces. i'm now seen as a hero in said store.

mike kinsella is proud of me.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
I'm the guy who goes in there to play guitars I can't afford.

Isn't this pretty much 99.5% of the guitarists that visits Guitar Center?
Quote by ESPLTDV401DX

FCUKING HOSTILEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Anyone else get that?
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Mar 2, 2013,
I can play fairly proficient but anything I play through at the music store is poorly set up but I don't try to show off.

Plus, who give 2 ****s what you're playing there.
Do you want people to come up to you and praise you for playing in a store?
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
@Nameless:
"Fucking terrible at distortion" player.

OT:
TS, just start out playing for groups of people you're comfortable with. Friends, family, your girlfriend, etc. Then, play for larger groups. And so on.
Whenever I get riff amnesia in a store, I remember I'm not there to impress anyone. I'm there to buy gear.
In other words, who gives a sh*t if you play poorly or don't know many riffs.
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
I play bullshit, honestly it sounds like crap. But I get the gear tested thoroughly before buying it. Guys at the music store probably cringe when I ask to test an amp or a guitar.
- - - - - - - - - - -
I avoid playing guitars in stores as much as possible because they're always set up incredibly poorly and it makes me play 10 times worse than I really am.
Check out my band Disturbed
Regardless of how well you play, the other people in the guitar shop are going to dislike you. Why? Because people who judge other people in guitar shops are cunts.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
no one cares about you ts. get over your self and move on.
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
meh. if im in a guitar store playing something, it's because im testing it out. I dont really care about showing off, i just play stuff that caters to whatever it is im testing out. for examplke if im testing a pedal ill play something that will let me hear the pedal's sustain, tonal response, range of sounds, etc
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by atpeace6
i always suck because there's people around

Oh, so you're the guy ruining the atmosphere with your suckiness...

Listen here, you little shi....p....

If you're going to be playing guitars in public and know you suck at it, then stay the hell away from the amp. You don't deserve it! You got that, you little son of a batch?

Don't take me seriously, it happens.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Mar 2, 2013,
Your life sounds hard
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
i play a c major scale, ring each chord out and EQ the amp and see if the amp or guitar is what im looking for. you can play thought any amp and make it sound decent if you EQ that amp to the guitar.\
as for your anxiety, you probably focus on people listening and judging, not on what your playing.
playing for crowds is a zen kinda thing, love every note good or bad.
/imhigh
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
you just gotta keep playing in front of people to get used to it. you'll eventually get more comfortable. and the average person who listens to you wont even know if you made a mistake or not. just say **** it and keep playing.
Quote by jwax
i play a c major scale, ring each chord out and EQ the amp and see if the amp or guitar is what im looking for. you can play thought any amp and make it sound decent if you EQ that amp to the guitar.\
as for your anxiety, you probably focus on people listening and judging, not on what your playing.
playing for crowds is a zen kinda thing, love every note good or bad.
/imhigh

Quote by ryan19
you just gotta keep playing in front of people to get used to it. you'll eventually get more comfortable. and the average person who listens to you wont even know if you made a mistake or not. just say **** it and keep playing.

so much terrible advice. just do what i told you op.
Quote by ErikLensherr
It's odd how much I disliked broccoli as a child yet now it's my favorite vegetable.

i used to make music. now i'm lazy. here's my soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/oleh-ustimenko
Quote by Nero Galon
I usually walk in and do this...

How do you keep the guitar from falling when you pull out the cash?

Oh, wait, I don't think I want to know. You must get really excited when you buy a Strat.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 2, 2013,
Quote by ironicallyindie
well, ts, what i just do is, i take all of my clothes off when i go to the guitar store. i take mexican fender strat on the middle pickup, insert it in the line 6 spider iv superstack on the cleanest twinkliest setting. then i connect the line out from the spider into a mesa triple rec on the highest gain setting with everything except the mids on 11. then i tune the strat audibly to FACGCE, and do little hammerons and pulloffs with my balls on the 4th and 2nd frets on the c-strings. everybody in the guitar store starts crying and clapping because its the saddest twinkling midwest emo revival theyve ever heard. at some points my pulloffs and hammerons become so strong pubes are in everybody's faces. i'm now seen as a hero in said store.

mike kinsella is proud of me.

I wish this actually happened in guitar stores. it's always just weird metal and slap bass riffs.
I tend to get embarrassed to play at guitar stores since I'm really not the best at guitar. I just play a few chords to test out the guitar but until I get a lot better I don't think I'll play in front of people.
Page 1 of 2