Hello everyone

I was wondering if the value of the guitar (mainly eclectrics, but also acoustics) will raise along with the years, or if it's slowly gonna fall to 0 euros/pounds/dollars/...

I know that very old violins, and pianos (and pretty much all classical wood instruments) will be worth more after playing on it for years. Because the wood will adjust to the sound because of the very tinny holes in wood (don't know the right term in English).

So I wanna know how it is with guitars...
I'm never really planning on selling my guitars, how crapish they may be after years, but I wanna know if I would sell my guitar, this one: (http://www.musicstore.de/en_EN/EUR/Fender-Classic-62-Custom-Telecaster-RW-3TS-3-tone-sunburst/art-GIT0009446-000) in 20 years, will I have profit?

And for example, a Gibson J-200 a Martin D28 or a les paul? And how about ESP and Ibanez and stuff?

Thanks in advance
Gibsons and Fenders hold their value well, and can become collectable after about 30 years after the date of production if kept in good condition and without modifications (all original). ESPs and Ibanez guitars, well, not so much, unless it's a custom shop or a rare model.
The wormholes in an old violin don't actually add to the value.

That said, for the most part, only the big brand name guitars hold or increase their value over time. There are 2 exceptions.

1) any guitar that has a reputation of astounding quality- especially as compared to the big name guitars they most resemble- will tend to appreciate, but it takes time for that reputation to spread to the collector's market. That is why certain small brand guitars like Tokai or Burny are so sought after: in many ways, they were simply better than the guitars they emulated.

2) any guitar associated in a major way with a celebrity or elite musician will appreciate in value. However, in the former case, the boost in value will be as short-lived as the celebrity's fame, while a guitar associated with an elite musician will hold its increased price much longer, and may even continue to appreciate over time.

I'm involved in several different collectibles markets, and there is a really useful rule of thumb when buying collectibles of any kind: buy what you like, because you may be holding onto it for quite a long time.

IOW, never buy something collectible solely because you think it will go up in value. The reality is that most collectibles either drop in value or gain value very slowly.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 2, 2013,
big name guitars hold the 25 year rule, meaning they take their used value meaning they instantly drop in value the second you leave the store, for example a mim strat becomes worth 350. then they slowly drop in value for 25 years,95 mim is worth about 250. then it slowly rises in value again,
It really depends on the guitar. But despite what was said above, quite a few Ibanez and ESP guitars do go up in value. The vintage market has taken a TERRIBLE hit right now, but it will come back eventually.
Some guitars go up in value to ridiculous levels, some never catch on. There are vintage Fender and Gibson guitars that are worth$25,000+ and then there are some of their less popular ones that are worth $2500 (same year and almost identical models,look wise).

Now not that $2500 is cump change, but It deff is not $25,000.

My buddy has a 1957 LP standard and about 12 yrs ago we went to a shop to get him new pickups and the store owner told him he would give him his choice of guitar and $5,000 cash for it. he turned them down (they even had a PRS Dragon $19,000 that was on the table aswell)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Some guitars go up in value to ridiculous levels, some never catch on. There are vintage Fender and Gibson guitars that are worth$25,000+ and then there are some of their less popular ones that are worth $2500 (same year and almost identical models,look wise).

My buddy has a 1957 LP standard and about 12 yrs ago we went to a shop to get him new pickups and the store owner told him he would give him his choice of guitar and $5,000 cash for it. he turned them down (they even had a PRS Dragon $19,000 that was on the table aswell)

New Smyrna Beach?

I am in Saint Augustine Beach.

May I assume you mean total entertainment or guitar attic?
Quote by engage757
New Smyrna Beach?

I am in Saint Augustine Beach.

May I assume you mean total entertainment or guitar attic?

Yep Total Entertainment

Randy Pepper owns Guitar Attic, great guy. The only place I have ever seen Dr.Z amps, but he has a pretty good selection and prices on Used PRS,Gibson,Fender,ect.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

He has a 57 les Paul and took it to a shop to get new pickups?? Why??