Hello! Just before new year I treated myself to a new guitar and I opted for the Tanglewood Nashville IV TNF AV. It's an excellent guitar, tobacco sunburst, tight neck, excellent tone. My problem though, lies within the sound it produces. 99% of the time I am in standard tuning but when I try to play along with a song (with a capo or without) my guitar sounds out of key. I know it's quite a vague problem because it depends on the song or whatever but if you took any other guitar and strummed from your bottom E to your high E then repeated on mine they would both sound in tune, but if done at the same time, the key would be different.

I know most people will say "are you sure it's actually in tune?" it is. i've had this problem from the start. The question i'm really asking is:

If I take it back to the shop where I purchased it, would they be able to remedy the problem or is there something I could to myself to make it less dull? again, i know the problem sounds so vague and people will say "tune it up," but it really makes no difference. i've had it a half step down and a half step up just to see if I can hit the standard standard key but no luck.

If anyone has any ideas what might be wrong with my guitar or anyway I could fix it I would be greatly appreciative.

Many thanks,
James.
It might just need a set of strings.

If you want a brighter sound, use "brass" strings, those which are designated as "80/20 alloy"

If your guitar 's intonation is truly off, it's because of one, (or more), of these problems: The saddle is the wrong type, or the saddle groove is routed at the wrong angle. The bridge is glued on at the wrong position. The frets are incorrectly placed.

None of these issues can be resolved by taking the guitar to the music store and talking to a salesman.

Tuning down doesn't do anything but cause a conflict with the overall pitch in relation to the correct length of scale.

These things can also cause the same problems:

A guitar whose action is too high, will have intonation issues, since the strings change pitch more, and in different amounts when they are fretted.

In other words, take a correctly tuned low E string, fret it to G, the G will be a touch sharp because of t.he string bending. When the string is higher, the effect will be more pronounced, when it's lower, less so. The other strings will change pitch as well, but not necessarily the same percentage amount.

I haven't seen a headstock tuner, (or onboard tuner), that wasn't a little vague when close to the desired pitch.

The strings are possibly shot, which can happen just by demoing the guitar, or having it sit on the wall for an extended period of time.

And finally, you're sure your guitar is in tune, I however, am a bit less certain.