Does the music industry have any steady sources of income aside from Music Education?

I'm thinking of majoring in music education since to me that seems to be the only steady source of income. I've always loved teaching other people about music so I wouldn't mind at all.

There's still this part of me though that wants to become a really good guitar player as well as compose / record / produce / mix & master music.

I feel like getting a degree in music education would allow me to generate enough income to make a living as well as allow me to learn more about all the other instruments.

After that I could still go home and continue to learn how to compose/record music.

Does this sound like a bad plan to you guys?
Not at all, that is what i am planning to do aswell.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Teaching jobs are difficult to find right now, and teaching jobs in the arts are even more difficult, because those are the ones everyone wants but schools have limited resources to provide them.

You should double major in music education and math or one of the sciences. It's easier to get a teaching job in math or science, and then you can cross over to music classes at the same school.

I had a friend who did this and it worked out reasonably well. She would teach music for the only two periods when it was offered, and then teach algebra for the rest of the day.
Do you like teaching? Because if you dont it will kick your ass.

You can become a good guitar player studying any degree. The question is whether you wamt a piece of paper saying youre a good guitar player.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Don't pick education because it will get you a job. Pick education because you want to teach.

I personally am an education major, because I think, in a country and world where we generally don't need to struggle for food or survival, an ignorance of music is one of the worst possible things for a person. I want to teach music to anyone who will want to learn because I think that everyone has a right to a musical education.

If I didn't feel like that, I would still be a music major, but I certainly wouldn't be an education major. The people who are education majors, but don't want to teach, generally end up dropping out of music entirely halfway through sophomore year.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf
absolutely what will said

Yay, my first compliment!
Theater can have a lot of money in it. How much depends on the size of the theater and the show. You need to be able to site read like a boss.

You could also do a lot of different things. Teach a couple of days week, gig in evenings, do theater shows, freelance and busk.

I know people who make a steady living off of that.
Thanks for the responses guys.

I enjoy teaching just as much as I enjoy playing and just as much as I enjoy composing.

I feel that giving other people your time creates an immediate impact not only on other peoples lives but on your own as well.

The only reason why I mention that I would go to college though is because it seems like there is no other way to get a job as a music teacher at any school without that piece of a paper.
If I were given the choice I would study on my own.

I suppose I still need more time to think about this.
^^^ Youd be talking about an education degree and a music degree if you want to go down that path. Why not ask the music teacher at your school what they did.

But Im under the impression that a lot of people on this forum treat teaching music as a backup in case their rock star dreams fall through. Theyre pretty different areas to eachother, and youll most likely end up teaching areas other than music to pay the bills.

Your profile says youre 14, I wouldnt worry about it too much. Youll change your mind heaps of times before graduating, before that time focus on learning how to shave and drive.
Soundcloud
a degree won't guarantee a job in any field. it's important to realize that the only thing that can grasp at and solidify an opportunity - especially one of stability and general comfort - is going to be you and your ability to hone your craft to do the job better than every other person trying to do the same thing you are.

music is just one of the more vicious incarnations of the fight-for-food model
modes are a social construct
^^^ its true, a degree doesnt garuntee you a job in any field. That said its one of the few fields where people can be recognised for their work, and still not have enough money to pay the bills. The demand is just not there, people would rather pay for a dentist than a musician.
Soundcloud
Also, something you may want to consider along with the aforementioned, is the fact that you play guitar. According to the music teachers in my family (of which there are many), it is difficult for a guitarist to get a job outside of anything besides the general and youth music education fields.

Because guitars are commonly not included in orchestras or bands, teaching administrators will think that you lack experience in those fields, whether or not it is true. My advice is, pick up an orchestral or band instrument as soon as possible, and play it throughout college in whatever ensembles are available to you. Not only will it make you a better musician in general, but employers will like to see that you have experience outside of what is commonly considered the guitar world.
Strauss!
"I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way." - Gustav Mahler.

Quote by AeolianWolf

you could always get a lucrative career and use that to pay for a neo-orchestra with 50 electric guitars when you're in your 40s
I appreciate the humor and of course the serious advice as well.

My time best be spent practicing and studying music instead of worrying.

I'm confident that I'll still be around the forums when that time comes.

I'll let you all know how It goes if any of you are still around.
Last edited by dannydawiz at Mar 2, 2013,
i'll be OD'd in like 2 weeks if i'm lucky so you better hurry up TS
While we are on the subject, may i ask a question aswell? Since it got to do with the same topic as TS i thought it wouldn't be necessary to make a new thread about it, if i'm wrong you have all the right to yell at me.

I am in my second year of high school and have 1 & a half year left before i go to college for music. Since i love teaching and connecting with people aswell as helping people i thought i would study music education, but i am also one of those people who likes to learn and there are two other majors i'm wanting to study aswell (Master in music theory and master in improvisation).

Is it possible to teach and study at the same time? Cause i'd really like to teach first, but as said i'm always looking to learn and would probably like to go back to college after my 3 year musical education studies are over.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
i started a education degree. I wanted to teach music
a month into my uni course we did the first placement, i discovered that i hated kids, and their parents.
now i work in IT and teach after work
@Sickz; yes you can teach and many students do.

Innertom, its good you figured that out pretty early rather than suffering a mid-life breakdown.
Soundcloud
Sickz, from your post it seems that you are in the U.K. I live in the states, but I can at least tell you about the standards for master's degrees here.

After getting an undergraduate degree in education, you have 3 options:
1. Try to get a job teaching
2. Go straight to grad school
3. Do something else

The stupid thing with 1 and 2, is that you are more likely to get a job with grad school, and you are more likely to get into grad school with teaching experience, so it's a little mini catch-22. That said, my teachers mostly say that if you go to grad school after teaching for a few years, you will look at the material differently, and may get more benefit out of it. Both of those options have their merits, and I have known many teachers who are going to school while teaching. My high school band teacher was finishing up his doctorate during my senior year.
Strauss!

Quote by AeolianWolf

Quote by will42
Sickz, from your post it seems that you are in the U.K. I live in the states, but I can at least tell you about the standards for master's degrees here.

After getting an undergraduate degree in education, you have 3 options:
1. Try to get a job teaching
2. Go straight to grad school
3. Do something else

The stupid thing with 1 and 2, is that you are more likely to get a job with grad school, and you are more likely to get into grad school with teaching experience, so it's a little mini catch-22. That said, my teachers mostly say that if you go to grad school after teaching for a few years, you will look at the material differently, and may get more benefit out of it. Both of those options have their merits, and I have known many teachers who are going to school while teaching. My high school band teacher was finishing up his doctorate during my senior year.

I live in sweden mate!

Yeah, i have talked with my current teachers and what one of my guitar teachers did was that he went to college for music in Sweden (Majoring in music education) then he later went a year or two at MI in the US. So i will probably do something like that, but stay in sweden. I was thinking of majoring in music education and start teaching somewhere, and then getting a masters degree later on sometime.

Thanks for the response by the way! And TS, sorry for hijacking your thread for abit!

Quote by Guthrie Govan

Quote by Chick Corea
There is work in the music industry outside of education, but often you have to be prepared to work for free for a while, or create a position by going the self-employed route. Working in the music industry is nowhere near as clear cut as most other lines of work, where you attend an interview and then get on some company's payroll. Having your fingers in lots of pies is usually the way to go!