Quick situation report; living in halls of residence at uni therefore don't have a nice, powerful Mesa and a Fuzz pedal to dick around with.
I do have a USB interface and a fair number of vst amp sims though, which I'm using to record while I can't make large amounts of noise - which is currently what I'm attempting to do.
Namely, controlled feedback noise. Is there a specific way I could play harmonics (natural or artificial) and mess around with gain settings in order to achieve an atmospheric screech somewhat like this without shoving my guitar inside an amp?
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Quick situation report; living in halls of residence at uni therefore don't have a nice, powerful Mesa and a Fuzz pedal to dick around with.
I do have a USB interface and a fair number of vst amp sims though, which I'm using to record while I can't make large amounts of noise - which is currently what I'm attempting to do.
Namely, controlled feedback noise. Is there a specific way I could play harmonics (natural or artificial) and mess around with gain settings in order to achieve an atmospheric screech somewhat like this without shoving my guitar inside an amp?

Compression can help.

Also you can get a Sustainiac. Fernandez makes them too, but the Sustainiac is much better.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Sustainiac! Totally! Its a fun pickup and actually sounds good which is rare. For what your looking for thats right on target!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Quote by dkunick
You could try the Boss FB-2...haven't tried it but it is supposed to do what you're looking for. http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=1181

Good call.

I was thinking of that too, but I couldn't remember the nomenclature. Here's an article about it: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov12/articles/boss-fb2.htm

And an excerpt:
"The Feedback knob controls the strength of the feedback effect when the pedal is pressed and held, and what you get is real feedback — not an oscillator-based sleight of hand, as with earlier feedback pedals — so this won’t work with headphones. Although there’s no explanation of how this trick is done, I’ve listened very carefully to the pedal and run a few tests, and I’m pretty sure that I know what’s going on... As you play, a tracking band-pass filter follows the guitar notes as you play, then, when you hit the pedal, this filter pitch is frozen, based on the note you just played and the gain is faded up, provoking feedback at that frequency. You can apply vibrato to the note being held and it still sustains, but if you slide to a different note while still holding the pedal, the new note will fall outside the filter range and the feedback effect will be reduced or lost altogether."

I don't know if TS is playing with headphones or not. Also, although the article claims it won't work with headphones, I didn't see anything in the explanation that would support that claim.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
I did actually look up the FB-2 and liked the looks of it, but a lot of gear sites had bad things to say. Might be worth checking out though.
The sustainer pups are probably out of my student budget for now though

Cheers guys
Quote by SkepsisMetal
I did actually look up the FB-2 and liked the looks of it, but a lot of gear sites had bad things to say. Might be worth checking out though.
The sustainer pups are probably out of my student budget for now though

Cheers guys

Let us know if you check out the FB-2 and what you think of it. You've got me curious as to whether it will work without a real amp. I'm gonna subscribe to this thread.

Good luck!
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
Let us know if you check out the FB-2 and what you think of it. You've got me curious as to whether it will work without a real amp. I'm gonna subscribe to this thread.

Good luck!

Never looked at the price of those pups. My bad! Ive heard good and bad on the FB-2 as well but Deff give it a shot! Goodluck!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
I do have the FB-2, if I could go back I would not buy it again. The boost function is actually pretty good but I really dont like the feedback, I know you have heard this before but "it sounds artificial". Almost sounds like when you hold it down the pedal cranks the holy hell out of the mids and cuts all the other frequencies until you get some sort of feedback, like someone else already pointed out though you cant really slide into a different note effectively.

Do you want feedback as in a screaming sound or do you need it controlled and on certain notes? What I like to do when I just want some noise for the hell of it is play some natural harmonics, my favourite are 5th fret on the G and D string played togheter (basically its a really high pitched G power chord), add some gain and flanger/phaser to that and its madness. You can also try other position for different notes, for example 7th fret G/D string, or the 5th/7th fret on the high E string.

Hope it helps.