#1
I have a Peavy 30w Combo amp, and when I'm not using it, I leave it plugged in, but turned off. People I'm living with at the moment insist that this is creating excess draw on the circuit, but they refuse to replace the outlets that have problems.

My question is, can leaving a 30w amp plugged in (turned off) cause outlets in another room to flicker?
#2
No. It has no parasitic draw. It's not like a microwave or TV that needs power to hold the time.

They be crazy. However you might want to unplug just to shut them up because chances they are so dumb they will not believe you anyway.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
#3
Thanks Lol, I took a screenshot and blurred your name and sent it to them, they laughed and called an electrician. xD
#4
Is it your place or theirs? If it's theirs, tell them that you're not chipping in for the electrician. There's another issue somewhere; it's not your amp.

Even things that always draw like a newer TV or anything with a clock like the microwave draw so little it would be difficult to even calculate the amount.
.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
#5
It's probably best that they call an electrician.

One of the houses I've rented had a an outlet where the sockets wiggled. One time I plugged something into it and a huge spark shot out.

I turned off the breaker and opened up the outlet. Turns out the terminal screw holding in the wire on the hot side was completely loose. That's the kind of shit that can start fires. The circuit breaker is designed to trip before the wires get hot under a heavy load, but that's assuming there's adequate contact. Inadequate contact can cause the wire to heat up to firestarter temperatures without drawing enough load to trip the breaker.

Better pay a few bucks for an electrician than insurance deductables for the residence and all your property.

Oh, and unless you're living in a dollhouse, a 30watt amp wouldn't be too much load, even if it were on and you were cranking it full blast. It's 30 watts. Not 30 amps.

Edit: If the power in that house is so bad, you might want to plug your amp in through an UPS, and keep it unplugged when not in use so it can't get damaged. Same with any other sensitive electronics. A really bad surge can damage electronics even with the switch off. I've had gear damaged by venues with crappy wiring.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 3, 2013,
#6
Quote by nickenator8
I have a Peavy 30w Combo amp, and when I'm not using it, I leave it plugged in, but turned off. People I'm living with at the moment insist that this is creating excess draw on the circuit, but they refuse to replace the outlets that have problems.

My question is, can leaving a 30w amp plugged in (turned off) cause outlets in another room to flicker?



By trade, I'm an electronics tech.
Answer to your question is no.

Its no different than having an extension cord plugged in with nothing hooked up to it.

And I also suggest a UPS or a good filtered power strip to hook your amp up to when in use.
#7
What you need is a new amp.
Guitars
- Strandberg OS6, Strandberg CL7, Gibson LP Studio, S570DXQM, RG7421, Mayer Strat, Partscaster

Amps
- TC-50, Mark Five:25, Invective (soon), Vypyr 60