Hi, I've been playing for 5 years now and I want to start messing around with recording. I want to try covers of stuff like Metallica, Soundgarden, Tool, AC/DC, Zeppelin, Megadeth etc and record some original stuff too. Main gear is a Bugera 333XL combo with line out, Gibson SG Faded and ESP LTD MH- something.

I'm quite certain I want to use the line-out from my amp since I don't want to introduce possible problems like mic placement etc yet when I'm new to recording.

What would be a good DI USB box for up to ~$120 Australian dollars?

I'm quite familiar with Ableton live 8 so actually recording and mixing etc with that shouldn't be a problem for me. Though from what I've read I'd need a cab sim so would I be able to run a cab sim program first to ableton or just be able to get a plug-in?

One last thing, what would level should I set the line out at when I do record? I'm guessing 10 to get the full signal but that could be completely wrong.

Thanks

p.s. I read the sticky threads but it didn't seem to cover amp line out recording... not sure if this is something different to just recording a dry guitar.
Last edited by Badmotorfingers at Mar 2, 2013,
We don't cover line out because it's generally not worth the effort, you'll usually get better results with DI + Amp sims. The only difference is you want a line level input if possible, rather than an instrument one.
Where in Aus are you? any particular store (I'm in Perth).
The best I know of for what you're after would be the Steinberg CI1, but I've never actually used it.
Yes you will just use the cab sim as a plugin, I recommend LeCab 2 and the Sperimental Pack.
It shouldn't matter what level you record really, so just set it to whatever level doesn't clip your interface.
I don't like the sound of amp sims, they always sound too fake. So I think I prefer to use my amp.

Melbourne.

I'll check that one out.
If you are interested in line in only and dont see yourself ever going into mic recording at home. this is cheap, and has the best latency response.

http://line6.com/podstudiogx/

If you think you will eventually want to record guitar via miced amps, then I would get the next step up.

http://line6.com/podstudioux1/

Both of these should be within your price range and come with Podfarm, which you can also open within ableton. If you have podfarm, then a whole world of effects and amps are at your disposal as well.

As far as using the line out on your amp, I would set your line out to noon or 5. Its a safe bet and it gives you room to add or take away from the signal if it is too strong/weak from the get go. And you can get a cab simulator like recab, or LAconvolver and if you install it within the plugins file of ableton it should apear in your pluggins list in ableton and open within it. Then you need to find impulse responses. These are the magic sound files that blend with your guitar tone to make it sound like its running through a cabinet. you can find them pretty easy, just google it. they are usually easy to find for free. In fact this website will give you the download link for LAconvolver, and will direct you to sites with impulses.

http://audio.lernvall.com/

So you could run out of your amp, into the UX1 (for example) then open ableton, open LAconvolver, pick your impulses and then viola. You have a nearly killer guitar tone. Further EQing will be a must but you will figure it out. I recommend cutting out all frequencies above 9khz and every thing below 120hz. This will drastically improve the sound.

If you spent another $50 or so and got the metal amps for pod farm, you could bypass your amp, plug straight in. open podfarm within ableton, select an amp, delete the cabinet thats in podfarm as it SUCKS, and let LAconvolver do all the cabinet work. This would give you more freedom as the guitar that would be recorded would be straight guitar signal. All the amping and processing would be post recording.

In fact, here is an example of a song that I recorded with this exact setup, ableton, podfarm, LAconvolver and all.

rasputin-band.bandcamp.com

Hope this helps you get your feet wet.
Quote by Badmotorfingers
I don't like the sound of amp sims, they always sound too fake. So I think I prefer to use my amp.

Melbourne.

I'll check that one out.

Not too sure what they're like now but you might find the CI1 at what's left of Allans/Billy Hyde. And not to sound like a pushy little bitch, but have you tried some of the good amp sims like the LePou stuff? or just Guitar Rig/Amplitube/Pod Farm? Because there's worlds of difference between them, and I'm yet to see someone who can reliably pick between a well set up amp sim and the real deal in a blind test.

Please don't get the Pod Studio stuff, it's terrible value if you don't specifically want Pod Farm (which you obviously do not). Also I'm pretty sure neither the GX or the UX1 has a line input, just instrument (and unpowered XLR on the UX1).
In any case, if you go the CI1 you'll have the gear to record DI or with the Line Out anyway so it doesn't matter. I do highly recommend you give amp sims one last shot though (try something like LeCto with whatever cab sim you decide to use)
Quote by chatterbox272
Not too sure what they're like now but you might find the CI1 at what's left of Allans/Billy Hyde. And not to sound like a pushy little bitch, but have you tried some of the good amp sims like the LePou stuff? or just Guitar Rig/Amplitube/Pod Farm? Because there's worlds of difference between them, and I'm yet to see someone who can reliably pick between a well set up amp sim and the real deal in a blind test.

Please don't get the Pod Studio stuff, it's terrible value if you don't specifically want Pod Farm (which you obviously do not). Also I'm pretty sure neither the GX or the UX1 has a line input, just instrument (and unpowered XLR on the UX1).
In any case, if you go the CI1 you'll have the gear to record DI or with the Line Out anyway so it doesn't matter. I do highly recommend you give amp sims one last shot though (try something like LeCto with whatever cab sim you decide to use)

Thought they closed, just checked Gallin's bought them which is pretty cool. I'll check there maybe.

I had a look on youtube, those lepou ones can sound pretty good I admit. I may go down that path for some different tones later on but I'll happy with recording my Bugera for now.

Yeah, wasn't really considering the Pod stuff. More of just a 'normal' di box. But having a look the CI1 seems good for the price. One question for it, would I be able to monitor through it? I.e. send the audio back through it and monitor on a decent pair of headphones. Or is the headphone amp just for direct monitoring?

Thanks for your help btw
You should be able to do proper monitoring through it, from what I can tell you would just have to turn the "mix" knob right up to DAW.
Cool.

Looking around there seems to be some other options.

How would you rate:
Focusrite 2i2/2i4
Tascam US100
Presonus Audio Box 22VSL
I wouldn't use the 2i2, it has a nasty habit of clipping really easily. The 2i4 on the other hand if you're willing to pay the extra for it is the interface you should get. It has better preamps, AD/DA converters, drivers, everything than the CI1 and nearly everything else on the market at the same price range. Can't really comment on the Tascam, but the little bit I've heard about it wasn't good, and the Audiobox is known for it's crappy drivers.
Focusrite 2i4, NI Komplete 6, Roland Quad Capture, M-Audio C400, Avid MBox or Steinberg CI1?

#1 Do any clip for recording guitar?
#2 Best mic pres (I'm guessing 2i4)
#3 Which one would be the best choice?
Quote by Badmotorfingers
Focusrite 2i4, NI Komplete 6, Roland Quad Capture, M-Audio C400, Avid MBox or Steinberg CI1?

#1 Do any clip for recording guitar?
#2 Best mic pres (I'm guessing 2i4)
#3 Which one would be the best choice?

#1: Not as far as I know, the only one I know has a reputation for it is the 2i2.
#2: Focusrite by far. I don't know enough about the others to be able to give a full ranking.
#3: Best in terms of what? The Focusrite is probably the best for long term usefulness, but if you want something cheap to do you for now until you know how much you want to sink into it then the CI1 will do that job just fine at almost 1/2 the price (here anyway).
Is the sound quality of the CI1 much worse than the 2i4? I mean, if I can't get something that sounds decent with the CI1 that may put me off recording (at least doing it myself anyway). The 2i4 is about $180 (which I don't think is too expensive) and the CI1 is about $100. Of course I'd prefer to spend less but only if the difference is not worth it.
I don't think the sound quality is particularly worse no. The preamps aren't as good, so they won't sound quite as nice but I believe the DI is decent so you should get a decent enough signal to get good sounds coming out of it.