I'm planning a short term move to the UK under their Youth Mobility Scheme Visa, where my maximum stay is 24 months. I want to experience the whole of the UK, and not just be stuck in London the entire time, meaning spending time in all of the countries for at least four months each. I'm basically looking for advice from residents across the UK on which cities would be best (and specifically which parts of the larger cities are cool and which ones I should avoid).

As far as living goes, I just need an affordable and somewhat safe/comfortable place, either in a rented house or an apartment building. Doesn't matter much to me long as it's actually in a city and not on the outskirts somewhere (since I plan on using a bicycle and public transit for getting around).

A big big factor is the music scene in the area; I'm into mostly hardcore, progressive metal, pop punk, indie and post rock, so somewhere with decent venues and bands in those genres is definitely a huge draw for me. I want to be able to play shows with a band of my own too as a bit of cash on the side, which is part of the reason why this is a major factor.

Bonuses would be a neighbourhood with a grocery store and easy access to the subway/bus, so I could get downtown in a reasonable amount of time if I wanted to. You guys can also include anything else you think would attract a 20 year old Canadian dude like landmarks, decent bars/shops, cool hidden nature-y places only locals would know, etc.
Don't let me down UG!
Last edited by Pat_s1t at Mar 2, 2013,
That one island where they recorded Lost.
Pretty sure that's in Hawaii.

So yeah.
That's two for Hawaii.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If you go to Manchester you'll definitely get stabbed.
If you go to Liverpool you'll definitely get mugged.
If you go to Newcastle you'll definitely get punched in the face by an angry, drunk Geordie.
Midlands is your best bet. But not Birmingham. That's a shit hole. Somewhere in Shropshire's nice. Shrewsbury, maybe.

Alternatively, Croydon, you can go visit trebor.
and definitely get stabbed, mugged and punched by an angry cockney
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by Trowzaa
If you go to Newcastle you'll definitely get punched in the face by an angry, drunk Geordie.
Midlands is your best bet. But not Birmingham. That's a shit hole. Somewhere in Shropshire's nice. Shrewsbury, maybe.

Come to the US

You'll just get shot and die more quickly
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I actually recommend looking into Wales. Cardiff and Swansea look like great cities. (albeit from a distance)
Birmingham.

They have Jeff Lynne.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Gabriel Fauré

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Croydon.

Only if OP likes pot and black girls.

Guitar and live music too, I guess, also, a lot of random shit/stuff is filmed in Croydon.

We South Central London, between SW and SE Baby and our local sporting team (Crystal Palace FC) reps both blue & red.

Also, the rich side of town is pretty cool too. I'm in North Croydon though.
Quote by Trowzaa

Is all of the UK a shithole?

Just go to Hawaii.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
First off, stay in one place. Its really not worth travelling around only to end up somewhere worse than where you started. Do weekend trips or whatever but not worth moving around much.

There is barely anything interesting to see at all. Like most places, there are more idiots than less. You will be loved for being a different nationality, you will also be hated.
Quote by treborillusion

Had to stop watching around 4 minutes when the audio synch got ridiculous.

Apparently now you can get shot in the UK, too. Too bad you're more likely to die there if you do get shot since they don't have much experience treating it in the ERs.

Incidentally, there's always been "universal health care" for gunshot vicitims in the US. That's one of the reasons it's so expensive for the people who do pay for insurance.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by jetwash69

Apparently now you can get shot in the UK, too. Too bad you're more likely to die there if you do get shot since they don't have much experience treating it in the ERs.

Incidentally, there's always been "universal health care" for gunshot vicitims in the US. That's one of the reasons it's so expensive for the people who do pay for insurance.

quoting this to make sure it's real
Quote by genghisgandhi
quoting this to make sure it's real

Refere to the quotation in my sig. What part offended you?
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Quote by jetwash69
Refere to the quotation in my sig. What part offended you?

the 69 in your name
Quote by genghisgandhi
the 69 in your name

00-68 were taken. What are you trying to insinuate?
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by genghisgandhi
what a deft reply. this song sums up how i feel right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6c8WADfOts

I'm not normally into acoustic stuff, but it was OK up to 1:39. The rest of it was a little too quiet.

I never realized that's how you felt about me--I apologize if I had led you on to where you would somehow be angry at me for betraying you for someone else. I've been married (to a female) for about the same amount of time that I expect you've been alive, and I don't stray. Plus, I don't recall ever interacting with you at all. So this apparant jealousy against my wife is quite a shocking revalation.

An angry lovesong is really how you feel right now? Really?

Maybe you can stop being like the guy in the song (lying to yourself) and state what really offended you in my post so we can clear up any possible miscommunications, or agree to disagree like mature people.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69
I'm not normally into acoustic stuff, but it was OK up to 1:39. The rest of it was a little too quiet.

I never realized that's how you felt about me--I apologize if I had led you on to where you would somehow be angry at me for betraying you for someone else. I've been married (to a female) for about the same amount of time that I expect you've been alive, and I don't stray. Plus, I don't recall ever interacting with you at all. So this apparant jealousy against my wife is quite a shocking revalation.

An angry lovesong is really how you feel right now? Really?

Maybe you can stop being like the guy in the song (lying to yourself) and state what really offended you in my post so we can clear up any possible miscommunications, or agree to disagree like mature people.

>typing all that

calm down man
Quote by genghisgandhi
>typing all that

calm down man

If you really knew me, you'd know that's a very short post, and pretty benign.

Feel free to stop dodging the issue anytime before I call it a night. There's no point in you being mad if it's just a miscommunication.
Quote by shiggityswah

What the **** has happened in here?
nvm, TS, move to australia, we've got racists and gangs and an apathetic and corrupt police force, it's beautiful I tell ya.
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Quote by strait jacket
What the **** has happened in here?

It's just Genghis here taking potshots from a concealed position, but he won't back them up. Nothing to see here, show's over, move along.
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by ChucklesMginty
We have that here too.

Yeah but we've got beaches man, nothin' like getting stabbed by junkies at bondi.
When they're not having a race riot I mean.

Quote by jetwash69
It's just Genghis here taking potshots from a concealed position, but he won't back them up. Nothing to see here, show's over, move along.

Ok
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
Last edited by strait jacket at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by strait jacket
...australia, we've got... ...apathetic and corrupt police force, it's beautiful I tell ya.

So how does this relate to reality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aVg8s0-H8
Quote by shiggityswah

Quote by jetwash69

The only people who get shot in the UK are people who partake in gang related activities and even then it's a very rare occurrence.
Quote by So-Cal
The only people who get shot in the UK are people who partake in gang related activities and even then it's a very rare occurrence.

Then why are the people in that video afraid to go out alone at night? Are they all partaking in gang related activities?

Edit: I'd be happy to discuss this with anyone who wants to. Incidentally, a lot of my knowledge in this area comes from time served as a police officer. I'm going to call it a night, so it will have to wait until my next chance to log in to UG. Goodnight, Pit.
Quote by shiggityswah

Last edited by jetwash69 at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by jetwash69
Then why are the people in that video afraid to go out alone at night? Are they all partaking in gang related activities?

Because of media scare mongering. People don't just randomly get shot without a reason. And besides the video is more about knife crime which is a much greater problem.