Anybody running the HT-5R (the newer version) with different tubes or other mods? Any suggestions? I'm not looking for anything specific, just curious what people are doing to the amp and the results. Especially curious about replacing their "custom Blackbird 50" speaker...
what dont you like about your sound/amp?
"evil esteban"
if this thing melts again i'm takin' it to bugera headquarters, puttin' a bag of fecal matter on it, ringin' the doorbell and flippin the switch from "standby" to "on", and running.

"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Quote by Maximus_2005
what dont you like about your sound/amp?

The drive isn't as smooth as I would like. I've only put maybe 20 hours on the amp so far though, so it might be my fault for not letting things break in a bit. Not sure. I suspect the speaker, but I should probably try with a cab before jumping to conclusions.

Chalk it up more to curiosity about where people are taking this amp, rather than a specific complaint. I like modifying things -- my car, my computers, my guitars, my amps, anything i can mess with.
It does have transistors in there as well... not very smooth? Sounds about right.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Promit
The drive isn't as smooth as I would like. I've only put maybe 20 hours on the amp so far though, so it might be my fault for not letting things break in a bit. Not sure. I suspect the speaker, but I should probably try with a cab before jumping to conclusions.

Chalk it up more to curiosity about where people are taking this amp, rather than a specific complaint. I like modifying things -- my car, my computers, my guitars, my amps, anything i can mess with.

Hey man. I have an HT-5 too and it took me a while to learn how to use the EQ and ISF properly. But once you do, you can really achieve a lot of awesome tones.

Really I would go against modding the HT-5 except for the speaker if you want it to be louder perhaps. I personally only swapped the knobs because they were barely readable on the limited edition. And this is coming from a guy who also likes to do a lot of modding, guitars and my own effects pedals.

For a smooth drive, try this:

Basically takes some of the harshness away with the treble, while adding more high end on the mids with the ISF. I often combine this with maxed gain + 1mm pick + neck pickup for a very Ritchie Blackmore kind of sound.
On the older, swapping the 10" speaker for a 12" is an obvious mod since 12" speakers fit in the cab anyway but I believe the newer ones have 12" speakers as stock. Still might be worth an upgrade though?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
On the older, swapping the 10" speaker for a 12" is an obvious mod since 12" speakers fit in the cab anyway but I believe the newer ones have 12" speakers as stock. Still might be worth an upgrade though?

Yes, it might be. Interesting, I didn't realize they fit 12" speakers. I've got one of the old 10" ones. Damnit, now I won't be able to resist upgrading
Quote by Bart123
Yes, it might be. Interesting, I didn't realize they fit 12" speakers. I've got one of the old 10" ones. Damnit, now I won't be able to resist upgrading
I'd check before you go waving your cash in someones face but I think the cab just about fits a 12", although this might only be the 110 cab and not the combo. I'm not sure.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
not smooth?

a tube swap is always an easy way to manipulate gain, change the character a bit, reduce some fuzz. if your amp doesnt have fizzy gain imo with new product tubes it wont make that much difference unless you want a very subtle EQ change. imo, an amp with any digital processing with the ISF is going to negate that even more.

generally when i change tubes its because i am trying to reduce gain / add charity to a fizz drive problem. in that respect the right tubes can have a drastic effect.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Emperor's Child
I'd check before you go waving your cash in someones face but I think the cab just about fits a 12", although this might only be the 110 cab and not the combo. I'm not sure.

Oh. Just had a look inside the old HT5 combo. Seems like you would have to cut into the box to make a 12" fit, meh
Quote by Bart123
Hey man. I have an HT-5 too and it took me a while to learn how to use the EQ and ISF properly. But once you do, you can really achieve a lot of awesome tones.

Really I would go against modding the HT-5 except for the speaker if you want it to be louder perhaps. I personally only swapped the knobs because they were barely readable on the limited edition. And this is coming from a guy who also likes to do a lot of modding, guitars and my own effects pedals.

For a smooth drive, try this:

Basically takes some of the harshness away with the treble, while adding more high end on the mids with the ISF. I often combine this with maxed gain + 1mm pick + neck pickup for a very Ritchie Blackmore kind of sound.

But you did not scoop your mids
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Slightly off-tangent, but an EQ pedal seems like a good idea here.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I think I know what I don't like about the Blackstar. Does anyone else think the bottom end sounds like mud? It's especially noticeable in drop D, eg try some RATM licks.
Well I don't know, the bass is pretty bassy.. not sure if I would call it mud. But the mids have a pretty wide range thanks to the ISF. If you turn the ISF all the way clockwise, it shifts mids to bass. That will surely give you a tighter bottom end than just boosting the bass. To be honest I rarely, if ever, have the bass past 12 o'clock on my HT-5.

But sure, like with any amp there are certain tones that you cannot achieve, and an EQ might help with that. I think Blackstars are still pretty versatile.