What are people's thoughts on Carvin's guitars? I never hear much about them from anyone and when I tell people about them almost nobody even knows who they are and what they do.

I recently ordered a JB200C and I'm super excited about getting it in about 3 more weeks! I'm not really worried about anything going wrong because I'm sure I will love the guitar I just want to know what others think of Carvin and/or the JB model.

Have you played one? Did you like the pickups (a lot of people dislike them)? Would you ever order one?
Quote by Fishyesque
Well, you might make her think otherwise.

You could just show her that you have a PS3 and BANG.

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Quote by terribleguitar
Why are people always asking about our thoughts on something after they bought it.

Uh, are you thick? I already explained why in my post. Here I'll even spell it out for you. Underrated. Seemingly unknown. Unheard of. Need I go on?

Even famous musicians seemingly never use Carvin much. Before I got into Carvin this past year the only person I knew who uses a Carvin is Allan Holdsworth.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
A chainsaw can take a girl off her feet pretty nicely. Then there are less limbs to worry about while you rape her.
Although I personally wouldn't buy a Carvin as they don't offer all the options I want; I've played several and they've all seemed like sound guitars for their price.

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Although I personally wouldn't buy a Carvin as they don't offer all the options I want; I've played several and they've all seemed like sound guitars for their price.

That's okay, I just want to hear personal reasons why you would get a Carvin or vice versa. Out of curiosity which Carvin models did you play?

To add one more statement to the thread, I hardly ever see discussion about Carvin on this website or others and even searching it's hard to find threads.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
First, Carvins are very well made. The ONLY complaint I ever hear about them is that some people find their pickups to be average.

Second, yes, I would order one. In fact, I've been wanting at least on (if not two) SH550 with a Bigsby for some time, and their 7 & 8 strings look like a great bargain. There's a recent NGD in this forum of one of the best looking 7s I have ever seen.
Quote by BlueAltitudes

Even famous musicians seemingly never use Carvin much. Before I got into Carvin this past year the only person I knew who uses a Carvin is Allan Holdsworth.

Jason Becker
Frank Gambale
Brian Bromberg
Joe Walsh
Al diMeola
Chris Squire
Steve Vai (amps, at least)...

The list is actually pretty sizable:
http://www.carvinguitars.com/artists/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by BlueAltitudes
That's okay, I just want to hear personal reasons why you would get a Carvin or vice versa. Out of curiosity which Carvin models did you play?

To add one more statement to the thread, I hardly ever see discussion about Carvin on this website or others and even searching it's hard to find threads.

I've played pretty much every electric model I could, which is actually what I would account as being a considerable amount since many of my friends currently play Carvins. While the brand isn't as well known as others I've never thought of Carvin as particularly obscure.

I would guess they are obscure because of the way they are marketed, and music is a business. If GC isn't pushing it, et al, the less well known they are. And as we know in music popularity does not equal quality.
Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
I've played pretty much every electric model I could, which is actually what I would account as being a considerable amount since many of my friends currently play Carvins. While the brand isn't as well known as others I've never thought of Carvin as particularly obscure.

Cool, so you have a wide range of experience with their line of guitars. That's good to hear. What do your friends think of Carvin? Probably nothing but praise huh?

And yeah, I guess guitar center would have a pretty big hand in the popularity of certain brands of guitar. I kind of just forgot about that aspect of reputation. Makes sense, since a lot of the guitar brands that I pay attention to now like: Mayones, Strictly 7, Carvin, Suhr, Tom Anderson, Bernie Rico Jr., Daemoness (I have to make a special mention to how beautiful Daemoness guitars are. Seriously, check out that brand now!), etc. I don't know how many of you know of some of those brands but they are pretty much guaranteed to be either rare or never be at guitar center or any local store.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Quote by BlueAltitudes
I never hear much about them from anyone and when I tell people about them almost nobody even knows who they are and what they do.

It's on this forum that you don't see people talk about them much. On other forums, particularly those catering to conversation about custom guitars EVERYONE mentions carvins. Also in forums for 7 and 8 string guitars their guitars are a rather popular alternative. This is what I've noticed people say about Carvins:
1. Although you can shred on the guitar, they aren't necessarily built for shredding. Even the 7 strings with the 20 inch radius have been noted as feeling comfortable for people use to playing necks that are a lot rounder.
2. The pickups are really about your preference. Plenty of people have remarked about being pleasantly surprised by them while others have said it was the guitar's only flaw. For the 7 strings in particular, the cavity for fitting the pups are a custom size and use a different mounting system than any other pups so some routing is necessary if you want to put in your own set of pickups.
3. Their 6 string floating tremolos are Original Floyd Rose's their 7 and 8 strings ARE NOT, they are licensed floyd rose and not of the same quality.
4. While not necessarily "elite" guitars like Ernie Ball Music Man, Mayones, or Suhr, it's probably the best "bang for your buck" in terms of custom guitars.
Famous Carvin players: Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, one of the guitarist from Korn, and Steve Vai uses their amps or cabs if I remember right.
I'm saving up for a DC727 I like the option of having the coil splitter and having the switch to turn the pups from passive to active. And their options of body/top wood are just wonderful. What really sealed the deal was when I saw one of their 7's with a Claro Walnut top. MAN IS THAT PERDY! Don't forget to post pics of your guitar when you get it!
Attachments:
IMG_3134.jpg
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Mar 3, 2013,
Nice guitars, bad electronics. Also stay away from the Wilkinson trem they offer.
The pups aren't that great, but they are sexy beyond belief. I was actually really surprised by how amazingly comfortable the 20" radius is on their CT7 model, which I love to death. Their DTS finishes are incredibly beautiful too.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by BlueAltitudes
Cool, so you have a wide range of experience with their line of guitars. That's good to hear. What do your friends think of Carvin? Probably nothing but praise huh?

All of my friends are content with Carvins as far as I'm aware. Again I think they're pretty sound guitars for the price, but they aren't for me as they stand presently.

Quote by BlueAltitudes
Underrated. Seemingly unknown. Unheard of.
None of which I would ever describe Carvin as being (and two of which mean the same thing).

They're alright. They shot themselves in the foot when they tripled their prices for non-US customers a couple of years back and stopped taking international orders directly, effectively cutting themselves off from the majority of the world. They also still have a few problem areas which people have been asking them to improve for a long time and they simply haven't; the fact that the Floyd they use on their 7-strings is still a cheap and very unreliable licensed unit is a big worry.

I don't think it's much of a surprise that companies like Mayones have exploded since Carvin changed their international distribution and pricing. Why buy a predominantly machine-made Carvin from America when a guy in Poland will hand make you the same guitar for less than half the price?
If you're in the US and similar-quality production guitars from Fender/Gibson/PRS/ESP/whoever don't suit you then great, go for it. The majority of people have little to no reason to look twice at 'em, though.

I do want their V3M amp, though. That's something that really stands out and which you can't really get from any other company, other than Mesa Boogie for about three times the price with no discernible improvement in functionality, quality or sound.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by LightxGrenade
It's on this forum that you don't see people talk about them much. On other forums, particularly those catering to conversation about custom guitars EVERYONE mentions carvins. Also in forums for 7 and 8 string guitars their guitars are a rather popular alternative. This is what I've noticed people say about Carvins:
1. Although you can shred on the guitar, they aren't necessarily built for shredding. Even the 7 strings with the 20 inch radius have been noted as feeling comfortable for people use to playing necks that are a lot rounder.
2. The pickups are really about your preference. Plenty of people have remarked about being pleasantly surprised by them while others have said it was the guitar's only flaw. For the 7 strings in particular, the cavity for fitting the pups are a custom size and use a different mounting system than any other pups so some routing is necessary if you want to put in your own set of pickups.
3. Their 6 string floating tremolos are Original Floyd Rose's their 7 and 8 strings ARE NOT, they are licensed floyd rose and not of the same quality.
4. While not necessarily "elite" guitars like Ernie Ball Music Man, Mayones, or Suhr, it's probably the best "bang for your buck" in terms of custom guitars.
Famous Carvin players: Alan Holdsworth, Frank Gambale, one of the guitarist from Korn, and Steve Vai uses their amps or cabs if I remember right.
I'm saving up for a DC727 I like the option of having the coil splitter and having the switch to turn the pups from passive to active. And their options of body/top wood are just wonderful. What really sealed the deal was when I saw one of their 7's with a Claro Walnut top. MAN IS THAT PERDY! Don't forget to post pics of your guitar when you get it!

I don't really hang around too many forums nowadays so I wouldn't have known that. Thanks man. The only other place I see pop up when I search for Carvin is SS.org because of Carvin's 7 and 8 string guitars like you said.

All I know is my guitar will be built for shredding because it's Jason Becker's freaking guitar! The things I changed were: DTS Dragonburst, Metal knobs with abalone tops, SS jumbo frets, 14 inch radius and I got a vintage tweed case with it.

The pickups are the highest output pickups that Carvin offers so I'll see how they sound through my Boogie soon enough and get back to you on that.

The OFR I'm not worried about I just have to learn how to use it since this will be my first guitar with a Floyd.

I know it's not an "elite" guitar but it doesn't really matter to me that much. One day I will probably get a Suhr and/or Daemoness to really get a true and top of the line "elite" instrument.

Yeah, I'll have the coil tap option and passive to active option as well as treble and bass boost and a "phase switch". And yes their options are pretty wonderful! I like the Claro figured Walnut option and Spalted Maple! I'm thinking of getting a 7 string from them in the future and if I do I will be getting one of those two tops I mentioned !

Quote by Mister A.J.
The pups aren't that great, but they are sexy beyond belief. I was actually really surprised by how amazingly comfortable the 20" radius is on their CT7 model, which I love to death. Their DTS finishes are incredibly beautiful too.

Have you had ample time to test drive your CT7 enough? It looks awesome and I'm considering one in the far future.

Quote by MrFlibble
None of which I would ever describe Carvin as being (and two of which mean the same thing).

They're alright. They shot themselves in the foot when they tripled their prices for non-US customers a couple of years back and stopped taking international orders directly, effectively cutting themselves off from the majority of the world. They also still have a few problem areas which people have been asking them to improve for a long time and they simply haven't; the fact that the Floyd they use on their 7-strings is still a cheap and very unreliable licensed unit is a big worry.

I don't think it's much of a surprise that companies like Mayones have exploded since Carvin changed their international distribution and pricing. Why buy a predominantly machine-made Carvin from America when a guy in Poland will hand make you the same guitar for less than half the price?
If you're in the US and similar-quality production guitars from Fender/Gibson/PRS/ESP/whoever don't suit you then great, go for it. The majority of people have little to no reason to look twice at 'em, though.

I do want their V3M amp, though. That's something that really stands out and which you can't really get from any other company, other than Mesa Boogie for about three times the price with no discernible improvement in functionality, quality or sound.

Yeah, I think that sucks that you have to pay more to get one of their guitars but we have to pay more to get Engls, Diezels, Daemoness, and other products I can't think of right now!

Actually there is a reason for people to look at them because Carvin can do whatever whatever, Fender/Gibson/PRS/ESP do and do it as good or better for a better price and better options for cosmetics. Have you seen how much a PRS private stock guitar cost!? It's crazy.

That V3M looks pretty cool I agree. I saw a video on youtube which had me sold on it but I'll have to look into it a bit more. Right now if I were to get another amp I would most likely shoot for an Engl or a Rhodes. Look up the Rhodes Colossal right now.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by BlueAltitudes

Have you had ample time to test drive your CT7 enough? It looks awesome and I'm considering one in the far future.

Hell yes. I can't stop playing it. The one thing I'm not insanely happy about is the sound, but that's really my amp's problem when it comes down to it.
Join the 7 String Legion!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Messiaen is Magical

Official Approval
This message has been approved by:

Mister A.J.
Head of the Department of Redundancy Department
Mister A.J.
Quote by BlueAltitudes
Uh, are you thick? I already explained why in my post. Here I'll even spell it out for you. Underrated. Seemingly unknown. Unheard of. Need I go on?

I read both posts a couple of times and I'm confused at why you're asking post-sale too. Nonetheless ...

Picked up a Carvin for the first time last week. It was an incredible guitar. Ebony fretboard on this model was deliciously smooth, and the build quality and finish was fantastic. My overall impression was you get a lot of guitar for your money, and that the equivalent PRS will cost you a lot more. So sounds like you've got a very decent chunk of wood heading your way

While I'm tempted to save and splurge on a PRS Mark Tremonti signature series, I dare say my next (possibly last) guitar purchase will be a custom Carvin.

Please don't post pics, I might be overcome with jealousy.
Schecter Blackjack SLS C-7
Les Paul Studio with Nailbomb / Black Dog BK pups
Razorback Blades V
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
They shot themselves in the foot when they tripled their prices for non-US customers a couple of years back and stopped taking international orders directly, effectively cutting themselves off from the majority of the world.

No argument there!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by BlueAltitudes

All I know is my guitar will be built for shredding because it's Jason Becker's freaking guitar! The things I changed were: DTS Dragonburst, Metal knobs with abalone tops, SS jumbo frets, 14 inch radius and I got a vintage tweed case with it.

Yeah, I'll have the coil tap option and passive to active option as well as treble and bass boost and a "phase switch". And yes their options are pretty wonderful! I like the Claro figured Walnut option and Spalted Maple! I'm thinking of getting a 7 string from them in the future and if I do I will be getting one of those two tops I mentioned !

Oh whoops forgot that's the JB sig haha, shred away my friend, you'll be doing Paganini Caprice's like JB in no time
And dude those are the same exact options I was choosing with, that spalted maple top is serious business! What did it for me is just how great the claro walnut top looks with a mahogany body, when you dont cover it and just let the original reddish/orange-ish grain of the particular mahogany that Carvin uses show. Looks like a piece of art. The JB200 has a tung oiled neck right? If you remember about this thread or could just PM me when you get your guitar so you can tell me how it feels I'd appreciate it. I've never had a tung-oiled back of neck and I want to get someone's opinion on it first. From what I heard people like them a lot but every once in a while you get somebody denouncing them as the devil's work lol.
Gibson LP Studio
Taylor 518E
Washburn WD15SCE acoustic electric
Carvin DC727 (ordered! The wait is driving me nuts!)
Last edited by LightxGrenade at Mar 4, 2013,
Quote by Simple Jack
I read both posts a couple of times and I'm confused at why you're asking post-sale too. Nonetheless ...

Picked up a Carvin for the first time last week. It was an incredible guitar. Ebony fretboard on this model was deliciously smooth, and the build quality and finish was fantastic. My overall impression was you get a lot of guitar for your money, and that the equivalent PRS will cost you a lot more. So sounds like you've got a very decent chunk of wood heading your way

While I'm tempted to save and splurge on a PRS Mark Tremonti signature series, I dare say my next (possibly last) guitar purchase will be a custom Carvin.

Please don't post pics, I might be overcome with jealousy.

I guess the opening post is a little bit ambiguous. I was simultaneously trying to kill time and erupt conversion in this subforum.

Thanks man, and I hope you become a Carvinite to in the near future!

Quote by LightxGrenade
Oh whoops forgot that's the JB sig haha, shred away my friend, you'll be doing Paganini Caprice's like JB in no time
And dude those are the same exact options I was choosing with, that spalted maple top is serious business! What did it for me is just how great the claro walnut top looks with a mahogany body, when you dont cover it and just let the original reddish/orange-ish grain of the particular mahogany that Carvin uses show. Looks like a piece of art. The JB200 has a tung oiled neck right? If you remember about this thread or could just PM me when you get your guitar so you can tell me how it feels I'd appreciate it. I've never had a tung-oiled back of neck and I want to get someone's opinion on it first. From what I heard people like them a lot but every once in a while you get somebody denouncing them as the devil's work lol.

Haha, the funny thing is I actually used to know the entire 5th caprice years ago but I've since forgotten about half of it or more and lost the speed required to play it. Maybe I'll relearn it including the crazy arpeggios in the beginning and ending.

Dude, have you seen some of the spalted maple tops that some Carvinites have!? They are absolutely, amazing, gorgeous! And of course the same goes for the Claro Walnut tops to! I love them to death and I will have one in my hands one day. I actually like Claro Walnut over maple because of the "Ice Cream Sandwich" Carvin that one particular person on Carvin's website has. But yeah man that Claro Walnut top will make anything more beautiful.

Don't worry I'll let you know my thoughts once I get it so you can get some info. first hand from me. All I can tell you right now is that it is incredibly smooth! So smooth that your hands will actually slip around smooth. I have a friend who has a C66 Contour Premium and when I talked to him about it he was in love with it. You'll get used to it though so don't think you'll be slipping around like on ice. I'm sure I'll love it like everyone else because I've never heard of anyone disliking a tung oiled neck and I really want to have a super smooth neck because my Schecter has a "sticky" neck and it was always a minor annoyance to me. I got used to the "stickiness" but once I played on a super smooth Ibanez I knew I had to have a nicer neck.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Carvin is only worth their price in the US. Good guitars, yes, but overpriced anywhere else than the USA. Europeans are far better off buying Mayones, Skervesen, Hufschmid, Blackat, GF or even the pricier Vigier guitars.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Mar 4, 2013,
Quote by LP_CL
Carvin is only worth their price in the US. Good guitars, yes, but overpriced anywhere else than the USA. Europeans are far better off buying Mayones, Skervesen, Hufschmid, Blackat, GF or even the pricier Vigier guitars.

...and you just made me a Hufschmid fan!
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Increadible guitars, but be aware they are pricey too! (Around 3000 euro, just under or just over, depending on the specs)
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Blimy he put his prices up.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
That's including import taxes Tom The guitars itself are 1900-2500
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Last edited by LP_CL at Mar 4, 2013,
I own several Carvins. Absolutely love 'em. I have a PRS (not the SE version), Fender, and Gibson also, but the one I bring consistantly to gigs is my SH575. You could save some money by not getting the midi option. But they are great versatile guitars. They hit a sweet spot. It also depends on the genre you are playing. They are not meant to be a Tele, but you can customize the p'ups - they have enough to choose from - and you can choose your own woods to customize your sound. Kind of like playing a work of art.
I haven't got my hands on a guitar yet but I have a Carvin 5-string bass with the active circuit. Man, it's great in just about every way. Got it for only $200 too, great pawn shop score. Maybe I'll take it with me when I go to Europe!
Yeah, you could sell it while you're over there and break even on your trip!

Quote by LP_CL
Increadible guitars, but be aware they are pricey too! (Around 3000 euro, just under or just over, depending on the specs)

Yeah, I saw ! Hufschid and Daemoness are going to be around the same price range if I ever I'm able to get one of those awesome guitars.

Quote by thepeazel
I own several Carvins. Absolutely love 'em. I have a PRS (not the SE version), Fender, and Gibson also, but the one I bring consistantly to gigs is my SH575. You could save some money by not getting the midi option. But they are great versatile guitars. They hit a sweet spot. It also depends on the genre you are playing. They are not meant to be a Tele, but you can customize the p'ups - they have enough to choose from - and you can choose your own woods to customize your sound. Kind of like playing a work of art.

I think they are versatile for pretty much every genre. And I agree, it will definitely be like playing a work of art. Especially if you get a natural wood finish.

And to the guy with the bass take it with you so Europeans can drool over it .
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
... Until he sees we get the full range of Mayones and Custom Shop ESPs and feels silly and inferior.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
... Until he sees we get the full range of Mayones and Custom Shop ESPs and feels silly and inferior.

Anyway, we are getting off topic haha. Back to Carvin! Someone mentioned the midi synth on a particularly Carvin. Care to elaborate? Anyone?

This is too good not to share. Claro Walnut JB200C

http://www.carvinbbs.com/viewtopic.php?t=36154&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Last edited by BlueAltitudes at Mar 6, 2013,
So, I got my Carvin today. It's absofreakinglutely awesome!

It's seriously the best electric guitar I've ever played and I am now a Carvinite for life. They exceeded my expectations in every way despite ordering in the dark without ever playing one before.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all
Congrats on your new axe!

We need pix, pix, PIX!

At least tell us the details about what you ordered!

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Congrats on your new axe!

We need pix, pix, PIX!

At least tell us the details about what you ordered!

I made another thread so you can view some pics but I had to use a link to Carvin's site because I had forgotten how much of a pain in the ass it is to upload pics here (in other words I forgot how haha). And thanks man, it's one awesome axe!

Details:
Jason Becker Tribute Guitar
Deep Dragonburst Flame Upgrade
Stainless Steel Jumbo Frets
14 in fretboard radius
Metal Knobs with Abalone Inlay (I'm actually unsure If I actually got these...)
And Vintage Tweed Case.
Quote by Fishyesque

Heterosexual.

Quote by metal4all