Everybody loves these on all the forums. So I took the plunge and got one a a practice amp.

I am so underwhelmed it's untrue. The clean channel especially which has hardly any headroom. The amp tone is just wrong, how ever you set it and the only setting I like is the brit amp setting.

All in all, I'll take a Roland Cube 40XL over it all day long. The egnater will be listed shortly at £600 shipped, amp and cab.
Did you try one before you bought it? Personally I'd never buy anything I hadn't tried for this very reason. Just because a few random guys on the internet liked something, it doesn't mean I'm going to like it. Your post reads like you're reacting on first impressions, the sort of thoughts you should rule out in the shop before you even start thinking about whether or not you want to buy it.

As you've already spent your money though, how long have you spent with it? The key to a lot of amps is time, they react differently to different guitars & different rooms, so you need to spend time perfecting your tone. Or 'tweaking' it, to use a phrase appropriate to the thread.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Gary, it's only 3 days old, so legally I can send back.

In terms of what it does, it takes hours of fiddly messing. My 1972 Hiwatt destroys it, even at bedroom vols. Egnater sounds tinny and fizzy.

So I will return said Tweaker, and I'll spend the money on 4 x EVM12L speakers for my cab. The best speaker around IMO.
Definitely send it back rather than selling it on - no matter how new it is, you'll still only get used prices whereas sending it back you'll get a full refund.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Gary, I'd add I prefer my Roland Cube 40XL over it any day of the week. Amazing amps for the money. Clean channel is right up with the best (believe it's the pre amp circ from the JC120 Jazz Chorus.)
Sorry you didn't like it, but I thought it was an amazing amp. I ditched my Cube years ago and haven't looked back.

I didn't find it tinny at all. Maybe next to a 100 watt Hiwatt it sounds that way, but that would be true of most amps. Maybe you got a dud. Anyway, too bad that it didn't work out for you, I think your experience is unusual. They are very popular amps for a good reason.
Quote by Roc8995
Sorry you didn't like it, but I thought it was an amazing amp. I ditched my Cube years ago and haven't looked back.

I didn't find it tinny at all. Maybe next to a 100 watt Hiwatt it sounds that way, but that would be true of most amps. Maybe you got a dud. Anyway, too bad that it didn't work out for you, I think your experience is unusual. They are very popular amps for a good reason.

I think, being fair to the product, it's a great amp for bedrooms when you want loads of different tones, and you're prepared to phaff about.

I want one tone, a really chimey clean sound, and the Tweaker doesn't give this- it breaks up too early on the clean channel. I have a Lazy J 40 to do the warm breakup if the Hiwatt too harsh.

That's why I liked the cube as a practice amp. No matter, I just scored a Pro Junior Tweed. That, the orignal one, simply the best practice combo ever. Much better then the new ones and the junior with reverb.
Yeah, 15 watt tube amp isn't really the first stop for big chimey cleans, and the Tweakers overall seem geared towards OD. Even the Tweaker 88 had surprisingly little headroom for an amp that big, although the cleans it does have are gorgeous.
Yeah I get where you are coming from....the clean is great until you need volume! And I want clean and volume, which really limits you pretty much to Fender Twins, Fender Super Reverbs, Jazz Chorus JC120, and vintage Hiwatts.

Oh and Roland Cubes!! (I cannot get enough of them!)

When you can crank a Hiwatt and listen to the natural harmonics, it's no wonder many regard them as the greatest amp of all time. And they luuurrrvvvveee pedals.
Last edited by jakey333 at Mar 3, 2013,
This is a very confusing thread/situation.

I also noticed you bumped another thread to talk about the Cube some more. Way to go.

If you had been researching the Tweaker 15 on the gear forums then certainly you would have read that they are not geared for cleans. People don't buy them for cleans. Also, they take some tweaking (go figure) and only really come to life with some tube swaps. Stock tubes in most amp are meh anyway and this is no exception.

Also, you went from:
'underwhelmed its untrue'
'hardly any headroom' and
'amp tone is just is wrong'

-To-

'great amp for bedrooms'
'loads of different tones'
'cleans are great'

The Twin, Super Reverb, JC120 and Hiwatts are so far away from the Tweaker I'm not even sure why you are comparing them.

Again - I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to convey or accomplish.
first off, i maintain the tweaker seires needs a preamp change - takes away the fizz.

secondly, if you put the gain low, laster up, hot switch off, you should have decent cleans. however, i have the 40 watt with 6l6s. more headroom, lower breakup tubes.

yes, there are many variations of gain and the hot switch which allow a good natural crunch, which you can manipulate with the volume knob. this in itself is a very kick butt feature, cause not very many amps do this very well with so many variations.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
This is a very confusing thread/situation.

I also noticed you bumped another thread to talk about the Cube some more. Way to go.

If you had been researching the Tweaker 15 on the gear forums then certainly you would have read that they are not geared for cleans. People don't buy them for cleans. Also, they take some tweaking (go figure) and only really come to life with some tube swaps. Stock tubes in most amp are meh anyway and this is no exception.

Also, you went from:
'underwhelmed its untrue'
'hardly any headroom' and
'amp tone is just is wrong'

-To-

'great amp for bedrooms'
'loads of different tones'
'cleans are great'

The Twin, Super Reverb, JC120 and Hiwatts are so far away from the Tweaker I'm not even sure why you are comparing them.

Again - I'm not sure what this thread is supposed to convey or accomplish.

I think you've misread and misquoted me there.

I'm sorry if you do not understand the difference between the point I was trying to make- an opinion based on requirements, and interpretation thereof.

I'm specific in my needs. Loads of clean headroom. Now, because an amp has a nice clean sound but low headroom doesn't make it a bad amp; it makes it a bad amp me. I love Marshall 30th Anni's, but they are not for me, and I adore AC30's. But not what I want.

I want to be clear; the Tweaker is very versatile, and some sounds are good, but it still sounds like a tinny small amp. If you put it next to an old pro Junior, the Junior is so much sweeter and fuller. I was disappointed at the sounds and the time taken to find good ones.

I don't recall saying it has great cleans, although, the point is the cleans are acceptable to some, I don't seek amp breakup, and the tweaker does that on clean, even after messing with settings.

Compared to the hype it gets, I felt it to be well short of its billing tonally, but I totally get it for the person that wants one amp, reasonably old school,but lots of variations.

I also hear the preamp tubes shipped can be a loads of shite, which possibly adds fizziness.
Last edited by jakey333 at Mar 3, 2013,
Right.

So if you wanted 'Loads of clean headroom' then why did you buy it after all of the research you did. Then, come on here and make a thread about how it doesn't live up to the hype. What hype? The hype it has is for the areas in which it excels. Loads of clean headroom is not one of them. The Tweaker is fairly well respected around here for what it is - so this thread is rather pointless.
When I played the Tweaker, I got a really nice clean tone at decent volumes.

All I did was switch from hot to vinatge, put it to british, backed off the gain a bunch, boosted treble, Mids a little less than 11 O' Clock, and I was there. I was also playing on an HSS strat too.

Like someone said earlier, it takes a bit of tweaking, no pun intended, in order to dial it in nicely. Once you got the setting, you're in tone heaven. Just my opinion.
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Jackson KVX10 King V (w/ JB/59 Humbucker Combo)
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
You need loads of clean headroom, so you went and bought a 15 watt amp? I don't understand your logic.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
right 15 watts is hard in of itself. but yes, take hot off, gain down, master up, and you should be getting about all the clean a 15 watter can put out.

this doesnt really both me because i actually like running both my channels on the 40 almost the same, with difference gain settings. i like the harmonics of a slightly driven clean tone over plain jane.

then i add the 2nd channel (on modern, gain up), a OD and a boost....man i have a ton of gin options from slight breakup to pretty hard rock.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Right.

So if you wanted 'Loads of clean headroom' then why did you buy it after all of the research you did. Then, come on here and make a thread about how it doesn't live up to the hype. What hype? The hype it has is for the areas in which it excels. Loads of clean headroom is not one of them. The Tweaker is fairly well respected around here for what it is - so this thread is rather pointless.

+311.

i got one of the first batches. i waited six months and had it for a while. i agree with the masses saying for several reasons, its not a good clean amp.

if you would have done your research you would have known.

i sold mine because after a few months it appeared to my ear that the switches didn't sound as differently was as much.

nothing wrong with the amp. it seems like buyers lack of knowledge. and if you think that a roland cube sounds better, you don't exactly have the most refined ear.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by jakey333

In terms of what it does, it takes hours of fiddly messing. My 1972 Hiwatt destroys it, even at bedroom vols. Egnater sounds tinny and fizzy.

I just can't get over the fact that you are comparing a Hiwatt to a Tweaker. It's like comparing a straight razor to a 3 Blade Cartridge razor.
Quote by Sputnik1
I just can't get over the fact that you are comparing a Hiwatt to a Tweaker. It's like comparing a straight razor to a 3 Blade Cartridge razor.

And then Cube comes into play and even more.

does not follow....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Right.

Stop being a bell end. it's a guitar forum. People express opinions. That is what forums are for.
Opinions aren't magically unassailable, though. Your opinion can be misguided and poorly researched, and if it is it ought to be questioned.
Quote by Roc8995
Opinions aren't magically unassailable, though. Your opinion can be misguided and poorly researched, and if it is it ought to be questioned.

No. If it is my opinion then that is exactly that. There is no empirical judgement of an amp, and there never can be, so my opinion holds. It's not like there is loads of stats to prove or disprove an argument.

In terms of research, you're right, but in defence, actually I spent a lot of time reading the comments and there's rarely a bad word spoken about it.

It just is not for me, although I understand where its market could be.
My opinion is that the statement you just made is false and uninformed.

See how that works? An opinion isn't a get-out-of-criticism-free card. We have to be able to discuss the merits of thoughts. You can't just post whatever you think and expect everyone to either agree with you or shut up. People are entitled to disagree just as much as you're entitled to your opinion.
311 isn't being a bellend. You started a thread expressing an opinion, which is fair enough. He then argued your opinion and - to me, at least - made a perfectly valid point. Perhaps it was hotly put, but he wasn't flaming or being rude.

And anyway, I think he has a point. You bought a 15 watt amp sight unseen, expecting lots of headroom, which Tweakers are not known for, nor are 15 watt amps in general. You also compared a Tweaker to Hiwatts - these two amps are in completely different price brackets, as well as being for different tones anyway.

But I'm basically just parroting what others have said.

I don't mean to be a dick, just my two cents.
RIP Adam
OK, not wishing to argue, but all of the literature points to a Twin Reverb setting on the Tweaker, which would have been ideal. I take your point about the Hiwatt, and yes, that's unfair as early Hiwatts are one of the greatest amps ever built. I just wanted a scaled down version. And I won't mention the brand name again but £200 of solid state does that quite well.

It just proves to all of us that one man's nirvana is another mans hell, and to me, underlines the point of trying first, which I failed to do.
Quote by Roc8995
Yeah, 15 watt tube amp isn't really the first stop for big chimey cleans

*cough, cough*AC15*Cough*
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by jakey333
OK, not wishing to argue, but all of the literature points to a Twin Reverb setting on the Tweaker, which would have been ideal. I take your point about the Hiwatt, and yes, that's unfair as early Hiwatts are one of the greatest amps ever built. I just wanted a scaled down version. And I won't mention the brand name again but £200 of solid state does that quite well.

It just proves to all of us that one man's nirvana is another mans hell, and to me, underlines the point of trying first, which I failed to do.

opinions bruh, some people might not think that, amps are only as good as how you're going to use it, i'm not bringing a hiwatt to a jazz gig
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by gerraguitar
opinions bruh, some people might not think that, amps are only as good as how you're going to use it, i'm not bringing a hiwatt to a jazz gig

True! And equally a Peterson Jazz combo would be useless for a metal gig!!
Quote by Roc8995
They are very popular amps for a good reason.

Then how do you explain Spider amp sales?
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Art & Lutherie Electric Cutaway
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
I was very impressed with the Tweaker 15 when I tried it... But then again, I was being reasonable about price point vs. feature-set.

Quote by Shadowofravenwo

I don't think he was attempting to. Nice straw man.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I was very impressed with the Tweaker 15 when I tried it... But then again, I was being reasonable about price point vs. feature-set.

I don't think he was attempting to. Nice straw man.

My point was, you can't go by sales. Otherwise Spiders would be the King if I understand correctly.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Shadowofravenwo
My point was, you can't go by sales. Otherwise Spiders would be the King if I understand correctly.

I believe that was his point as well, otherwise he would have simply said 'they are very popular amps' and expected you to make that assumption.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I believe that was his point as well, otherwise he would have simply said 'they are very popular amps' and expected you to make that assumption.

Ah, I misunderstood him.
Washburn MG-44(E)
Ibanez RG421 (Eb)
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Quote by Maineguitarist
*cough, cough*AC15*Cough*

Why is it that any time I make a vague generalized statement about general rules some smartass has to find one exception and act like it's important? I said 15 watt amps aren't generally the first choice for big chimey cleans, not that no 15 watt ever has a decent chime. This whole "I know an exception so I will post only that, as if it were relevant to the discussion" thing is pointless.
Quote by Shadowofravenwo

Spiders are popular for a very bad reason. Nobody said anything about popularity being a good indicator, just that the Tweaker happens to be both popular and a decent amp.

Jesus, sometimes I feel like it's remedial reading comprehension class in here. I don't mind a good argument but at least understand the point you're addressing.
So today we learned something: subjectivity is paramount when talking about toanz.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by jakey333
My 1972 Hiwatt destroys it, even at bedroom vols. Egnater sounds tinny and fizzy.

O.o

the tweaker won't compare to a vintage Hiwatt, not much will.

just stick to the hiwatt, don't bother with budget model amps.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae