Are lead instruments inherently unsuitable for composition of music? Western music being based on harmony, I guess the wide use of piano and guitar was natural.

But, Indian music is based on melody. Yet, I don't see many singers who also play the sitar/veena/sarangi. By and large, there seems to exist a wall between singers and composers. Are lead (melody based) instruments inherently unsuitable to being played while singing ?

Or it it just a case of neglect of these instruments (by these instruments, I'm referring to a large number of them, I know the sitar and sarod are still alive, but many folk instruments are nearly extinct)
Quote by SlinkyBlue

The solution is simple and obvious.

We revolt against ourselves. Mass suicide. The ultimate revolution.
Quote by Hail
ask mark knopfler

Power chords?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Why not listen to soke music then you can tell us.

Ill also ignore that "power chords" answer to Mark Knopfler just to be nice.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
you DO realize that guitar CAN do both right? i'm not really sure what the point of this question is to be honest, no offence. yes, some instruments are harder to play and sing with at the same time, and some are easier.

i may be wrong, but i assume that when most instruments were firs made that most were made to be played in orchestras (can't comment on eastern music but they do have performances). i think it was more common to have someone sing with someone or a group rather than play as well. but obviously it can be done. you can sing and play with almost any instrument i would imagine as long as you don't need your breath. although i also assume it would be better to play something able to play chords for most situations if you are playing western based music.
hard to sing with a trumpet say, or a violin, obviously. maybe intertwine the melody and the lead instrument breaks? like in blues.

oboe?

you can hum i guess
Quote by fdsaevad
hard to sing with a trumpet say, or a violin, obviously. maybe intertwine the melody and the lead instrument breaks? like in blues.

oboe?

you can hum i guess

You actually can sing with a trumpet. Though I don't know if it's really used but with tuba it's used and they work the same way. Of course you can't sing lyrics but you can sing melodies at the same time you are playing. Though it needs some practice.

I don't see why you couldn't sing while playing the violin. You can always hold it like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIc4VHxU7iM
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I was joking about the Mark Knopfler comment, I know he's a great lead guitarist and I've watched a ton of his live performances just to see his improv etc (and to see Clapton and him together on stage lol)

I'll simplify it a bit, I'm curious as to why, say, the violin or the cello aren't as popular as the guitar? Someone told me that playing a fretless instrument and singing at the same time is incredibly hard, is that the reason?

There are several instruments similar to the guitar, why didn't they take off?

Apologies for reviving the thread so late...
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Quote by sage76
I was joking about the Mark Knopfler comment, I know he's a great lead guitarist and I've watched a ton of his live performances just to see his improv etc (and to see Clapton and him together on stage lol)

I'll simplify it a bit, I'm curious as to why, say, the violin or the cello aren't as popular as the guitar? Someone told me that playing a fretless instrument and singing at the same time is incredibly hard, is that the reason?

There are several instruments similar to the guitar, why didn't they take off?

Apologies for reviving the thread so late...

How so they aren't? In classical music they are like the most common instruments, much more common than guitar. Actually if we look at classical instruments, guitar is pretty rare.

Of course in pop violin and cello aren't that common. But pop music =/= all music.

And really in pop music you usually want to play chords. On violin and cello it's not that easy to play chords (you can play two notes at the same time but more than that is hard). Violin and cello aren't rhtyhm/chord instruments. You need many violins or cellos to play chords. So they are more like melody instruments.

Guitar is also pretty easy to learn to play. You don't need technique to get a sound out of it and you can play all notes on the fretboard. On some instruments you need to learn all the fingerings and playing technique even to get a sound out of the instrument. Guitar is logical instrument: If you go up the neck, the pitch gets higher. You only need to know a couple of chords and you can pretty much play any pop song (I'm not talking about riff based rock, though those songs also have chords and you can play them with chords only, you don't need to play the riffs).

I think guitar is so popular because of electric guitar. I don't think guitar was so popular before electric guitar was invented, for example guitar wasn't a common instrument in a jazz band in the 20s-30s. Back then there were no electric guitars. But nowadays you see guitars being used in jazz bands a lot.

And electric guitar is the perfect sound for rock music. And rock is popular so that's why electric guitar is popular. Different sounds fit different genres and that's why you don't see an electric guitar in a symphony orchestra.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Mar 10, 2013,
It's awfully difficult to play melodic lines and sing at the same time. I would say that in Western music, it's quite rare.
In folk music, there is a long tradition of using "lead" instruments like the mandolin, banjo, and fiddle for playing rythm chords while singing and then taking a melodic break between verses... Likewise with the guitar.
As well, there's a long tradition of the singer-songwriter having a lead player alongside, playing fills and such while the singer sings, then taking instrumental breaks.
Too many examples to mention, but think of Jim Croce or Gordon Lightfoot.
Quote by MaggaraMarine

I think guitar is so popular because of electric guitar. I don't think guitar was so popular before electric guitar was invented, for example guitar wasn't a common instrument in a jazz band in the 20s-30s. Back then there were no electric guitars. But nowadays you see guitars being used in jazz bands a lot.

And electric guitar is the perfect sound for rock music. And rock is popular so that's why electric guitar is popular. Different sounds fit different genres and that's why you don't see an electric guitar in a symphony orchestra.

Actually, the electric guitar was invented BECAUSE acoustic guitar wasn't loud enough compared to other jazz instruments.

Which leads to the question, what made it so necessary in jazz? Jazz musicians were good at their instruments, why couldn't they have just chucked the acoustic guitar and made do with others?
Quote by SlinkyBlue

Guitar is just a very nice and versatile instrument. Also very portable

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Why is the guitar so popular nowadays?

- Since it's been amplified it was taken more seriously as a lead instrument. So now people know about it and want to play it.

- It's pretty easy to pick up and play a few chords with a little bit of instruction.

- They're pretty inexpensive compared to classical and jazz instrument.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK