When playing mid tempo palm mutes, for example on the sixth string, hitting the string from an "higher" height makes the mute sound "harder"? For "hitting from higher" i mean using a "wider" movement when muting. Or it doesn't need such an exaggerate movement? I mean, could the heaviness of the mute depend on the width of the movement you do?
Definitely, picking power makes a huge difference on how it sounds. Also, play around with different pressures of palm muting, muting closer to the bridge/further away, etc. Where you mute and how hard you mute greatly affects the sound you get.
Quote by Alexander Nero
I mean, could the heaviness of the mute depend on the width of the movement you do?

Absolutely not. You can get different sounds with different pick strokes and how hard you pick as well as what angle you have the pick at, but the motion itself has nothing to do with it. You can pick harder without moving your hand 6 inches away and winding up.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Dō itashimashite. Tanoshinde kite kudasai. (You're welcome. Have fun.)
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Absolutely not. You can get different sounds with different pick strokes and how hard you pick as well as what angle you have the pick at, but the motion itself has nothing to do with it. You can pick harder without moving your hand 6 inches away and winding up.

+1 Absolutely agree here. Pick angle plus how you attack is key to a great palm mute. Hand position is subjective to the player everyone is unique in this respect.

James Hetfield for example does what i call the "Ok Heavy Down Pick attack". Meaning his right hand is in the "Ok" poisiton and attacking the shit out of the string.

Marty Friedman does what i call the "Friedman Side attack" He holds his right hand almost level with the ground and scoops his arm around the guitar and not down. Willie Adler plays very similar. Its all in what you find comfortable.

I always have my pick at a 45 degree to a 30 degree angle depending on what level of attack i need. Picks also have alot to do with the tone as well. But thats another thread someone has around here.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2