I was playing around with my F chords because I wanted to find a more mellow sounding F, and I stumble upon this chord..

1 0 0 2 1 0

It kinda sounds like an Fmaj7 (132211), but a little bit different.

Love to know what it is!

Thanks,

Rhys.J
- My Gear -

Fender Telecaster Arctic White
Martin & Co 000X1AE
Fender Frontman 212R
BOSS RC-30
Korg Pitchblack Tuner
You need to look at the chord tones. On the E string there's an F; A and D strings are open; on the G string there's an A; on the B string there's a C and the E string is open.

So what we get is F A D A C E. This chord can have many names depending on the context. But that "Amadd4/F" seems pretty unlikely. Skilly, did you use Power Tab to get the chord names? I wouldn't advise using Power Tab for that because it gives the chord pretty random names sometimes. You just need to look at the chord tones and context.

Fmaj7add6 was what I was thinking at first and Dm9/F was the second that came into my mind. But it really depends on what the other instruments are playing and what the next and previous chords are.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Id be interested to know how you worked that out

You look at what intervalls are in the chord.

The notes you have in that chord are an F A D C and an E.

F is the root, A is the major third, C is the fifth, E is the major 7th and D is the major 6th. Fmaj7add6.

I would suggest you to study some basic harmony and check out lessons on how to build chords. Musictheory.net is a great site for starting theory.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Quote by skilly1
http://www.chorderator.com/

Just put the notes on the blank fretboard, I was gona say I worked it out lol

bad!

you need to know the context, TS. it could be any number of chords based on what else is going on in the piece. function is key here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by skilly1
http://www.chorderator.com/

Just put the notes on the blank fretboard, I was gona say I worked it out lol

Lol. I was wondering how a user like you would've known those chords.
Quote by chronowarp
Add is an convention used when there isn't a 7th present.
Just call it Fmaj13.

Yup. And that just goes to show how shit that site is. A machine can't even get it right.
With the Dmin9/F, there is a C note, I take it the E is the 9th note in the Dmajor scale, so is the C note from the F major scale, just trying to understand it
Quote by skilly1
With the Dmin9/F, there is a C note, I take it the E is the 9th note in the Dmajor scale, so is the C note from the F major scale, just trying to understand it

Dm9/F can be the ii in C major, or vi in F major.

there's no context in this thread, so we don't even know it's function.
Last edited by mdc at Mar 3, 2013,
Yeah it's impossible to narrow it down to one name without any context.

TS, do you have any other chords you were using along with this?

I could see something like Am - this chord - E7. In this case it would function as an Fmaj13, giving you a i VI V.

You could even do a classic i bVII VI V progression. That could sound really nice if you put some thought into the voiceleading and chord extensions.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by skilly1

No. You don't use scales to name chords. You use intervals. Dm means that it has tonic = D (of course), minor third = F and perfect fifth = A. Dm9 is the same as "Dm7add9", you just don't write it that way. The 7 in the chord means minor 7th = C. If it was Maj7, it would be major 7th (C#). And the 9 means major 9th (= 2nd) = E. You just count the interval between the tonic and the other chord tones and name it. Oh, and the /F means that the lowest note is an F.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115