I have a Hiwatt cab of 1990's vintage (so Music Ground shite) to go with my 1972 Hiwatt Head.

It has Celestion G series (70's I think) in it, which are great speakers in a Marshall type rig (they break up warmly) but with a Hiwatt they're useless and mushy you want more detail and less break up.

After loads of research, I'm pretty much decided on the EVM12L Electro Voice's. (]I'm not going down the route of vintage Fane's.)

yes I know they weigh a ton, are pretty expensive, but the detail and mid-punch is amazing.

Before I pull the trigger, any other suggestions?
You could look at something like the Eminence Cannabis Rex, for a cheaper option... $85 e.a new, so you can get 3 for the price of 1 of those electro voice

I've used the cannabis rex with my kustom 36' coupe, and my Jet City JCA50H....I currently have one along with a V30 in my mesa cab. I sounded great with both amps. The coupe has a blackface type clean, and a peavey od channel.

I find that the c-rex is a warm speaker that has a really smooth low end, and a beautiful top end thats not harsh at all. They're made with a hemp cone, so they have greater headroom, and are more efficient then paper cone speakers.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
There are always ceramic JBLs. I have some G125s (paper dust caps) and I think they dust the 12Ls.* If you're in the U.S., google Jammin' Jersey's. I don't know where they get them but those guys have a fantasy selection of the classic speakers and their customer service is wonderful. They also know the ins and outs of their stock very well.

* Just my opinion. Please, no debating, ok?

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Mar 3, 2013,
TS you may want to look at WGS, I think they have a EV12L clone (not exactly sure). Also the Eminence Legend V12 is a great speaker

The EV12L are a great speaker, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

When did the 1990's stuff become vintage? I just thought it is considered old now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i second WGS
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Robbgnarly
TS you may want to look at WGS, I think they have a EV12L clone (not exactly sure). Also the Eminence Legend V12 is a great speaker

The EV12L are a great speaker, so I don't think you can go wrong there.

When did the 1990's stuff become vintage? I just thought it is considered old now

When shops said they did. Actually you're dead right. It's like late 70's strats being called a classic of that 'vintage era.'