Ok.. I've been recently getting into more "PRO" gear.. and im trying to ease into it since it costs so much... First off.. I run a 6505+ with Decimator Nosie gate / Maxon OD- 9 for my Distortion channel.. In order for me to switch to Clean / Delay / etc.. I need to press "clean/effects" .. To choppy for me.. I've recently watched a August Burns Red "Gear" video.. and their guitarist uses a "RJM RG-16 Rack Gizmo" This is exactly what i want to use.. But i was curious if there was a cheaper way of doing this.. or am i stuck spending 1000 dollars trying to get the RJM and Foot-switch ...

I play in the band "Through The Ashes" We're up to playing around 80+ shows this year.. and I need to step it up..

I just want more variety as far as effects.. but I don't want to lose my 6505 Tone by using like a Line 6 pedal board on a clean channel..

Hope this makes sense.. im not much of a Gear head... thanks!

Dustin Roesener
Through The Ashes - Guitar
The energy of deamons infects my mind link
a sickness from a low health baby
Turn the footswitch around so that you can hit two switches with one step? :P That's what I'd do. It's too bad that your amp doesn't have individual FX loops for lead and rhythm channels, there are few amps that do, including my Laney VH100R. But that's the cheapest way for you and it's definitely the way I'd do it anyways.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't know that 6505+ had 3 switches on it... I thought it's just 2.
I somehow remembered that it only had 2 switches and earlier on the rhythm channel's crunch was not available through footswitch.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 3, 2013,
The 6505+ footswitch has 3 buttons, the 6505 only has two.

How much do you need in terms of effects? Just the usual mod/delay stuff?

If you don't use a ton of effects I would recommend the Voodoo Labs GCX switcher. It's nowhere near as expensive and should do exactly what you need it to do. The RG 16 has 8 audio loops and 8 function switches, so you have 8 "effects loops" and 8 switches to control channel switching, reverb on the amp, etc. The GCX switcher only has 8 loops so you aren't paying for a bunch of extra stuff you won't need with your 6505+.

The setup I would suggest would be like this:
-1 Loop of the GCX used for your overdrive pedal
-3 Loops will be used with a custom cable to control the 6505+ channel switching. Basically everything you can do on the footswitch (effects loop on off/crunch/channel).
-1 Loop of the GCX used for the ISP decimator

This leaves you 3 loops left over for the rest of your effects. You could go with stompboxes or a rack multi-effects unit.

I've been planning this rig myself as tapdancing to go from clean with effects to dry distortion is a huge pain.

-Edit-
I forgot, you will need a midi footcontroller too. The rocktron midi-mate would fit the bill nicely.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Last edited by Tremolo Bum at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by Tremolo Bum
The 6505+ footswitch has 3 buttons, the 6505 only has two.

How much do you need in terms of effects? Just the usual mod/delay stuff?

If you don't use a ton of effects I would recommend the Voodoo Labs GCX switcher. It's nowhere near as expensive and should do exactly what you need it to do. The RG 16 has 8 audio loops and 8 function switches, so you have 8 "effects loops" and 8 switches to control channel switching, reverb on the amp, etc. The GCX switcher only has 8 loops so you aren't paying for a bunch of extra stuff you won't need with your 6505+.

The setup I would suggest would be like this:
-1 Loop of the GCX used for your overdrive pedal
-3 Loops will be used with a custom cable to control the 6505+ channel switching. Basically everything you can do on the footswitch (effects loop on off/crunch/channel).
-1 Loop of the GCX used for the ISP decimator

This leaves you 3 loops left over for the rest of your effects. You could go with stompboxes or a rack multi-effects unit.

I've been planning this rig myself as tapdancing to go from clean with effects to dry distortion is a huge pain.

-Edit-
I forgot, you will need a midi footcontroller too. The rocktron midi-mate would fit the bill nicely.

Thank you for that! I'll check that out.. As far as effects that I want to use.. Yes Basically for Clean channle stuff .. Delay / Reverb.. But i'd also like to add in some stuff like Flanger / phaser / wah to my Lead channel..

But i'll check that out.. and again thank you..

Dustin
The energy of deamons infects my mind link
a sickness from a low health baby
I use a Boss GT-10 in 4CM with my JSX - my main patch is the JSX + the 4 stompboxes in my sig, along with EQ and reverb on the GT.

For cleans, I use a model on the GT through the return on the amp, through the JSX poweramp.

The cleans don't sound nearly as nice as the actual JSX cleans, but its an acceptable sacrifice to make live because its a very professional setup (and I don't use cleans very much). The only thing I touch are the patch footswitches on the GT.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 17, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
I use a Boss GT-10 in 4CM with my JSX - my main patch is the JSX + the 4 stompboxes in my sig, along with EQ and reverb on the GT.

For cleans, I use a model on the GT through the return on the amp, through the JSX poweramp.

The cleans don't sound nearly as nice as the actual JSX cleans, but its an acceptable sacrifice to make live because its a very professional setup (and I don't use cleans very much). The only thing I touch are the patch footswitches on the GT.

That's how I'm running my RP1000 right now. Unfortunately the RP1000 doesn't have channel switching. Now that I've done a few mods to my 6505+, I actually want to switch channels and utilize the clean, crunch, and lead modes. However, the Boss GT's and Line 6 HD500's do have channel switching.

The benefit of going rack over one of these multi-effect units is easier stompbox integration and not having to run a lot of extra instrument cable on the stage. You can have your rack right by your amp and run a midi cable out to your foot-controller.

There's pros and cons to both worlds. I hope to end up eventually with a decent rack system.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000