Ello dudes,

So, I'm finally gonna get round to buying my guitar this month, I've got my eye on a few but still having trouble deciding. Before xmas I was set on a Strat, but now I'd consider a Les Paul style.

Budget is around £700 but may stretch to £900 ish, if its worth it.

I'm just taking it up again after giving up years ago, so I'm not a total beginner, but I will be starting from scratch.

I'm after comfort and playability more than anything, and don't like tremolos really, I'd rather have something that stays in tune well but there's not many strats with a fixed bridge. Rock and bluesey, but something versatile.

Music: Hendrix, Pink Floyd, Guns n Roses, Razorlight, Kooks, The Doors, Smashing Pumpkins, Lynrd Skynyrd, Eric Clapton, Zeppelin.

I'm pretty sure it'll be one of these:

Over budget but possible:

Tokai Love Rock LS95F
Tokai LS-98F
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

Budget range:

Gibson L6S
Tokai TST 50

Any thoughts on these, or which you'd choose from that bunch would be helpful, also what the re-sell value would be like on each, I take it the Fender would hold its value better, then the Gibson, not sure about the Tokais.

Cheers dudes

Last edited by D3M0N1C at Mar 3, 2013,
I've never heard of those Tokias. That Gibson L6S looks really versatile. It will set you apart from the generic LP/Strat pack.
Do you have the chance to play any/some of them?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
If you're considering buying that Strat from Frets, you might also wish to check out their Godins & Fret-Kings as well.

I've personally tried out a Godin Velocity like that one they have in stock- very nice guitar that was recently discontinued. And I also am in the process of getting a Fret-King from them.

No knock on the Fender, but I think both of those brands offer comperable or superior quality to Fender at any given price, so they're worthy of consideration.

Neither will hold value like a Fender, though.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Hi, I'm afraid I can't really test any of them, my local music stores poo. The only one I've used and know I like is the Fender Deluxe, but to be honest I am leaning more towards the Les Pauls because of the fixed bridge and neck style, I think it may be slightly more comfortable.

The Gibson L6S is intriguing, I do like it, and its in budget, but the neck is a little bit long and has 24 frets, also, doesn't have the phat beefiness of a traditional LP.

Hey Danny, I did consider the Godins and FretKings, but I was trying to keep my list as short as possible so left them out as they weren't as appealing to me as the others.

Is there a Tokai LP model thats out there in the £700 range? Must be MIJ? I've fallen in love with the LS98F, only thing that's putting me off is the price.
you really do need to go try a couple guitars. anything really. thinking that an LP might be more comfortable really isn't a good standard by which to spend a decent chunk of change. even if you can track down a couple private sale used guitars just to play, you'll get a far better sense of what you need. a strat and les paul feel extremely different, and you cannot decide between the two without having played something similar at all.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
Hey Danny, I did consider the Godins and FretKings, but I was trying to keep my list as short as possible so left them out as they weren't as appealing to me as the others.

Fair enough! Just wanted to make sure you were aware of other viable options...especially at the same store.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Personally, I would go for some sort of Strat from what you've listed. However, I'd look for a HSS Strat instead of a SSS Strat. More versatile imo.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Hey, thanks for the replies, and just to clarify I have tried both strat and Lp styles, just not those particular models. I liked them equally as much. I found the strat had a better feel and body to it and had a slim fast neck, but the LP was nicer sounding, lighter and had a more comfortable neck, wider and flatter so maybe be a little easier to play? I can't play too well so it was only a quick test, I'm not sure if wider and flatter should be easier as its more spaced out, but slim necks don't require as much finger stretching when chording?

I'm currently in talks with a guy who's got a mint Tokai LS85 from 2006 for sale, never played, collectors item. What would be a fair price for it? I can't find much information about second hand Tokais so not sure what to offer him? From what I could find out they go for roughly £600 in good condition?

He also has two Limited Edition Tokai LS1000's, number 06 and 10 of 100 if anyone can put a price on these too?

As a cheaper option I found these, if anyone can verify its a good deal:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-custom-Tokai-Love-Rock-fitted-with-Seymour-Duncan-59-humbuckers-immaculate-/151002125501?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item23286d94bd

and:

http://www.rockemmusic.com/product/tokai-ls50qz-vf-premium-love-rock-electric-guitar-violin-finish

I still want the Fender Deluxe more than anything else, but I want a Tokai too

Cheers.
I came here to recommend the tokai LS, but I see you're already considering it.

I got an LS85 violin finish from rockemmusic. They got it delivered to France quickly and without a hitch.

The guitar is awesome, nothing bad about it to think of. The neck did bother me at first because at the time I was only used to epi's slim 60's profile and strat necks. but now I find it pretty comfy.

And as everyone else will say, you really should try the guitar before buying it. Necks aren't all the same, and if you've never tried an LP before, the weight might bother you.