Hey guys, I usually don't post anything on this forum because I prefer to learn technique by myself (probably a bad idea, I know...).

To give a little background, I've been playing for about 16 years and started out playing bluesy-classic rock stuff, but always wanted to play metal. I'm pretty good at bluesy leads, but that's kind of the extent of my lead playing. As for metal, I've devoted the last 10-12 years of my playing to taking the "blues" out of my playing . I would say I'm highly proficient at metal rhythm, particularly gallops, downpicking, and tremelo/flutter picking. However, my lead playing is still rather basic.

I started to really focus on alternate picking about 3 years ago, and am starting to apply it to leads.

A few weeks ago, I came up with a sort of cliche black metal style lead riff that looks something like this (sorry if this isn't clear):

x
x
7 ------------7--8-- 7--------------7--8--7---------
5 -----5--8--------------8-- 5--8-------------8--5--
x
x

Basically, I'm holding a power chord shape (without the octave added) and using my pinky to play the higher notes by quickly alternating from one string to the other. The whole riff/lick can be moved up or down a semitone every two measures which creates that black metalish, sinister mood.

My question is -- do most lead players hold chords like this and finger the higher notes with their pinky or do they just hit the notes (like hammering out a scale without holding any one position). I can do it both ways, but it seems like having my fingers dancing around the fretboard is a rather inefficient way to go about it. However, for some reason, I play a little cleaner that way, albeit slower. I'm still working on this riff, obviously, and when I play it "correctly" and quickly occasionally it sounds almost like a sweep-picked passage. So hopefully all of that made sense.

Thanks for any help/advice you can give me.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 3, 2013,
So you're asking us what another player might do with your own lick?

My advice, do whatever sounds good and pleases you! That's what making music is about. Play it however you want.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Well, basically I'm looking at two very different approaches to playing the same lick, and I'm wondering which one would be the "better" approach to choose, practice, and develop -- considering that I want to expand upon this and hopefully it leads to more complicated and musical passages.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Mar 3, 2013,
I would dance around, play the 7 on the g string with index. Easier for me to articulate well and always keep in mind that it looks cool. It´s a performing art.
Last edited by Facecut at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by KailM
Well, basically I'm looking at two very different approaches to playing the same lick, and I'm wondering which one would be the "better" approach to choose, practice, and develop -- considering that I want to expand upon this and hopefully it leads to more complicated and musical passages.

Play with both then. You don't have to only choose one. Maybe they'll both lead to a completely new idea each. Investigate every path you have and use the ones that work best for you.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I'd play the 8th fret with my little finger, that's the most efficient way to play it using those fret numbers, however, if that was notated in front of me, and I wanted to play it fast, I'd play it like this;

x
x
5 ---------8--------------8------8-------------8----
x -----10--------------------10-------------------10---------
x

Which is more efficient, if you want a flowing, sweeplike sound. You can make your hand fly around the frets if you want to, but it's not efficient, and if you neglect your little finger now, you will regret it later.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
I'd play the 8th fret with my little finger, that's the most efficient way to play it using those fret numbers, however, if that was notated in front of me, and I wanted to play it fast, I'd play it like this;

x
x
5 ---------8--------------8------8-------------8----
x -----10--------------------10-------------------10---------
x

Which is more efficient, if you want a flowing, sweeplike sound. You can make your hand fly around the frets if you want to, but it's not efficient, and if you neglect your little finger now, you will regret it later.

Thanks! That gives me another option to try. And so far, I think that may end up being the cleanest route. I've always thought that the "fingers flying around the fretboard" might often just be showboating. If it sounds good and it sounds technical, people will be impressed regardless. More importantly, it should sound good.

Thanks to everyone else too!
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood