greetings, i just bought a nice ebony 2006 epiphone lp custom. its not the mij model but its still one of the nicest lp copies ive run across. that being said i want to up grade it. starting with the bridge pup. there i`m leaning toward the burstbucker, or some form of seymore duncan passive humbucker. my choices from the local music stores in my area are gibson, seymore duncan, dimarzio, emg. nobody sells any of the boutique style buckers. my playing style is late 70`s thru mid 80`s rock metal and punk. for punk the stock alnicoV`s work fine. but not for all the other applications. any suggestions. i really want to stay with the above named brands as they are most available. any dont bother with suggesting the actives, been there done that and did not like em. thanx in advance.
epiphone gothic lp
ibanez arc-300
epiphone traditional pro lp
vox ad100vht head.
vox cab
Dimarzio Super Distortion
Seymour duncan SH-4
Either would work fine for you
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Dimarzio super distortion or seymour duncan distortion/custom.

DO NOT put a JB in a les paul for metal - too loose because of the alnico V magnet.

the ones i've listed above are all ceramic mag pickups and the super D was THE sound of 70s metal, the duncan distortion is pretty much a ceramic JB and works so well in a Mahogany bodied Gibson.
59/Custom Hybrid is a great pup for all the above, half Alnico/half ceramic.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Seymour Duncan SH-6 and a 59 in the neck.
Quote by tukk04
seymour duncan '59 or SH-4 JB would work, you can't go wrong with the jb.

Actually you can with the JB.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Actually you can with the JB.

Haha so true. I had a stock alnico V JB in my ibanez RG550 - good but a bit loose on the low end in a basswood bodied guitar. Replaced the alnico V with a ceramic magnet - boom instantly tighter bass and brought it closer to sounding like a duncan distortion with less midrange - perfect for hair/glam metal as well as punk.

A standard JB is best in alder/ash strats or superstrats like Jackson/charvel/esp/kramer guitars.
Quote by dkunick
59/Custom Hybrid is a great pup for all the above, half Alnico/half ceramic.
That's not what it is. It has one coil from the '59 pickup and one coil from the Custom line of pickups; the magnet is a normal A5 bar magnet, same as the '59 and Custom 5 use.

But as it so happens, yes, it should work nicely, or at least as nice as any pickup will.

Problem here, OP, is that you say the stock pickups are okay for punk but not anything else, but the stock pickups in Epi LPs of that era are pretty mellow to begin with. If you go for something more 'classic', like a Burstbucker, you're going to find you make a minimal improvement in the classic rock tones and recieve a huge downgrade in your punk and metal tones. Of course if you go for something brighter and more powerful than the stock pickups then you'll nail the metal and punk fine but you're going to have a weaker standard rock tone.
It does depend on what the rest of your rig is like, of course; Metallica have used Gibson LPs with Burstbuckers without issue, but then, I can't imagine there are many guitars that Metallica couldn't turn into heavy metal beasts. Similarly, 70s and 80s punk made use of damn near every guitar known to man, and they all ended up having the same sort of tones.

I would suggest you have a good hard think about the rest of your gear, too. A pickup swap alone, whatever pickup you get, likely wouldn't solve this issue. I think you may be better off investing some money in a decent overdrive pedal to get those punk tones and either a more aggressive OD or a flat-out distortion pedal for metal, and use a more standard PAF-copy pickup with your amp by itself for regular rock tones, or go for a higher output and brighter pickup to handle all the punk and metal stuff and then use an EQ pedal to mellow your signal for when you do the more standard 70s stuff.

To that end, the SD JB, Custom, 59/Custom Hybrid, Pearly Gates, Gibson Burstbucker #3, DiMarzio Super Distortion and EMG 60AX could all work well for you, I just don't think that any pickup by itself will do what you want. You definitely want to look at pedals more than pickups.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I think that Mr. Fibble makes a very good point - if you want to go for versatility then you need to use mid-output pickups. Too hot and your rock tones may suffer, if you use a PAF-low output-type plus a distortion or OD pedal it does not do 80s metal convincingly.

Here are some of the tricks i use to cop all the tones you mention:

Guitars - Ibanez RG550s loaded with a duncan distortion / quarter pound/ alnico II pro (HSH setup)
Single vol pot

To get an iron maiden like tone i roll off the the volume (to about 6) and engage one the humbucker-single coil split positions.

For a good rock tone i use the neck pup with the vol on 10.

For metallica style rhythm tones - bridge, vol on 10

With a les paul setup (2vol 2tone) - you can do even more - get a mid-high output bridge and a lowish output neck pup and play around with the vol pots and 3 way selector (maybe even install coil-splits on the tone pots for the humbuckers) and you can get all the tones you want.

An SD custom bridge and '59 or alnico ii pro neck with what i've suggested will do it all.
Quote by MrFlibble
That's not what it is. It has one coil from the '59 pickup and one coil from the Custom line of pickups; the magnet is a normal A5 bar magnet, same as the '59 and Custom 5 use.

But as it so happens, yes, it should work nicely, or at least as nice as any pickup will.

Problem here, OP, is that you say the stock pickups are okay for punk but not anything else, but the stock pickups in Epi LPs of that era are pretty mellow to begin with. If you go for something more 'classic', like a Burstbucker, you're going to find you make a minimal improvement in the classic rock tones and recieve a huge downgrade in your punk and metal tones. Of course if you go for something brighter and more powerful than the stock pickups then you'll nail the metal and punk fine but you're going to have a weaker standard rock tone.
It does depend on what the rest of your rig is like, of course; Metallica have used Gibson LPs with Burstbuckers without issue, but then, I can't imagine there are many guitars that Metallica couldn't turn into heavy metal beasts. Similarly, 70s and 80s punk made use of damn near every guitar known to man, and they all ended up having the same sort of tones.

I would suggest you have a good hard think about the rest of your gear, too. A pickup swap alone, whatever pickup you get, likely wouldn't solve this issue. I think you may be better off investing some money in a decent overdrive pedal to get those punk tones and either a more aggressive OD or a flat-out distortion pedal for metal, and use a more standard PAF-copy pickup with your amp by itself for regular rock tones, or go for a higher output and brighter pickup to handle all the punk and metal stuff and then use an EQ pedal to mellow your signal for when you do the more standard 70s stuff.

To that end, the SD JB, Custom, 59/Custom Hybrid, Pearly Gates, Gibson Burstbucker #3, DiMarzio Super Distortion and EMG 60AX could all work well for you, I just don't think that any pickup by itself will do what you want. You definitely want to look at pedals more than pickups.

Doh! Good call MrFlibble. I stand corrected, oops.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro