I thinking of buying a Tube amp head & a cabinet , its my first tube amp. According to my budget i narrowed down to 2 amps Ibanez tube TSA 15H And itsTSA 112C cabinet and Jet city JCA 20 H amp head and its jet city cabinet . I didnt play any of these amp because they r available online only, I played Orange Dark terror but it exceeds my budget , I have PRS SE tremonti..............plz help regarding the amps
If i were you, I would get the JCA 22H. It may have an extra channel and is way better for overdrive. It might even be cheaper.
Look into the Egnater Tweaker, and then if you want a little for leads, and maybe if you want to do Metal/Hard Rock every now and then, pick up an Overdrive, and you'll be set.
My Main Gear/Rig!
Mesa Boogie Mark V
Jackson KVX10 King V (w/ JB/59 Humbucker Combo)
Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer 30th Anniversay
ISP Decimator G String Model
my budget is around 300 to 350 $ for amp head, Ibanez TSA 15 h Is not a tube amp??? but ibanez dealer told me it is a tube amp, can u specify about it. egnater tweaker is not available here
Quote by shivram
i like rock, prog , metal music .......

Then you deff don't want either of those.

The JCA 22h is a good cheap and pretty versitile amp.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
try the orange micro terror . not sure if its a tube amp but ones Ive seen sold for 250 bucks for both the head and cab and its 20 watts
Quote by highlife666
try the orange micro terror . not sure if its a tube amp but ones Ive seen sold for 250 bucks for both the head and cab and its 20 watts

No it is not tube, and it is not very good either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by shivram
i like rock, prog , metal music .......

You don't really want 15-20 watts either.
Quote by icronic
You don't really want 15-20 watts either.

Why not?
15-20 watts is loud and (in most cases) can keep up with a band
No you don't have a lot of clean headroom, but it is probably fine in TS situationunless he needs cleans and did not say so.

I use a 20 watt Peavey windsor studio for band practice and I can be heard just fine
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i thought i would buy either one of the above 2 mentioned by me and start collecting pedals for playing rock or metal , Ibanez TSA 15h is not tube???
Quote by shivram
i thought i would buy either one of the above 2 mentioned by me and start collecting pedals for playing rock or metal , Ibanez TSA 15h is not tube???

It is, but only the clean part of the amp. The overdrive is suplied by the onboard TS-9 pedal, and it can only acheive classic rock type of gain.

If those are the only 2 you can choose from, the JCA20 would bet the best out of them. But the JCA20 is not voiced for modern tones at all. If you want Classic metal like early Iron maiden, you will still need a boost pedal of some kind.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Anyone got any Knowledge about Ibanez TSA 15 H ??? where i live Egnater tweaker, orange dark terror ,Blackstar 5 watts all are in same price range .Egnater has to be imported so extra cash for that
I just explained the TS-15h in my last post.

The Orange dark terror would be fine gain wise. You may want to put a boost in the front end to tighten up the bass for prog/metal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Have you tried any of them?

I would think the Orange Dark Terror would be best as Robb has said. After that the BlackStar though its only 5W.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Why not?
15-20 watts is loud and (in most cases) can keep up with a band
No you don't have a lot of clean headroom, but it is probably fine in TS situationunless he needs cleans and did not say so.

I use a 20 watt Peavey windsor studio for band practice and I can be heard just fine

Of course it's loud enough. It's about the headroom, not the volume.

But low wattage amps are designed around power tube breakup. This tends to mean that many of them sound like crap until cranked. It also means they're not really that great at Metal.... Prog and Rock are debatable depending on if we're talking about the modern stuff or not.

But for metal or anything else that required a tight sound you generally want an amp with a good amount of headroom and then use the preamp section for your drive. That's why there are so few metal amps under 50 watts. Since the sound is mostly derived from the preamp section you also tend to get better tones at lower volumes.
Neither the Orange or BlackStar are designed for power tube break up in this case..

Both those are all preamp type tones.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No it is not tube, and it is not very good either

really? from what ive seen including pics of a Ecc valve in the preamp, yes the output is solid-state making it a Hybrid - so its not a full on valve, and the demos ive seen its one hell of a little amp for the money £99 in the UK with £59 for matching cab and it will drive a 4x12 as well !!!
what part of ride hard dont you understand.
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Orange CR15
Pacifica 112XJ
Quote by hobbit1066
really? from what ive seen including pics of a Ecc valve in the preamp, yes the output is solid-state making it a Hybrid - so its not a full on valve, and the demos ive seen its one hell of a little amp for the money £99 in the UK with £59 for matching cab and it will drive a 4x12 as well !!!

But for Prog metal?

For what the TS wants what you posted is irrelevant.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Quote by hobbit1066

it does not sound very good at all.

You are correct it has a 12ax7 in the front.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by icronic
Of course it's loud enough. It's about the headroom, not the volume.

But low wattage amps are designed around power tube breakup. This tends to mean that many of them sound like crap until cranked. It also means they're not really that great at Metal.... Prog and Rock are debatable depending on if we're talking about the modern stuff or not.

But for metal or anything else that required a tight sound you generally want an amp with a good amount of headroom and then use the preamp section for your drive. That's why there are so few metal amps under 50 watts. Since the sound is mostly derived from the preamp section you also tend to get better tones at lower volumes.

I play Prog-metal, and I have been using a peavey windsor studio for a few months at practice, It will work, not the best, but it does work.
It deff needs an OD in front

I was just letting ts know that 20 watts is loud enough, I gig with a Marshal JCM2000 DSL100 which is pretty mean
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Any other amp head that u ppl can suggest that is good for my type of music metal,prog, rock in 300 to 400 $ range , I played Dark terror i like those amp head , but been new to Tube amps I cannot make differences . Dark terror here cost same as my PRS SE tremonti maybe 50 $ less , If i go for dark terror i wont have money for buying a Cabinet .......
I don't like them, but Blackstar HT20 may be worth a look for you (if they are in your price range)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by shivram
Any other amp head that u ppl can suggest that is good for my type of music metal,prog, rock in 300 to 400 $ range , I played Dark terror i like those amp head , but been new to Tube amps I cannot make differences . Dark terror here cost same as my PRS SE tremonti maybe 50 $ less , If i go for dark terror i wont have money for buying a Cabinet .......

why not buy used you can some times pick up a huge bargain or even B-stock were there are cosmetic flaws?
Orange CR15
Pacifica 112XJ
Last edited by hobbit1066 at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by hobbit1066
why not buy used you can some times pick up a huge bargain

+1 depending on the used market in your area
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Blackstar HT20 is too costly here , May be wait for few months get some money and go for egnater tweaker i guess till then i gotta be happy with my Solid state amp
Used market is not that great here my friend bought a used Amp and it got damaged within 3 months so i dont want to take risk
i owned the tweaker 15 at one point and ended up having a raft of pedals infront of it, i found a really nice clean tone on the amp and left it there, and as its a single channel, i ran a Blackstar Dist, Wasabi overdrive, EHX Nano Clone, EHX holy Stain and a EHX memory toy, the Dist gave me switchable channel the Tweaker was missing, i never really got on with it and got fed up of all the pedals, so i sold it all and bought a modelling amp which i had to sell so i have a CR15 currently so 15-20w is more than enough
Orange CR15
Pacifica 112XJ
Then I suggest you save a bit more money and get either the Orange dark terror or the Jet City JCA 22h and a diecent cab
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robb is right on this one. Save your money a bit more or you would be throwing it away. They really aren't the style for you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr