Page 1 of 2
This is a hobby I recently got into and was wondering if there are any other wet shaving enthusiasts on UG.

For those of you not in the know, wet shaving is the process of warming your whiskers with either a hot towel or a hot shower, splashing water on your face, and then using a boar or badger hair (or some other critter) brush in a bowl to whip up lather using either shaving soap or a shaving cream:

After coating your wet face with the lather using the brush, the actual shave is then either done with a double-edged safety razor

Or a straight razor

Usually in 2 or 3 passes, with a rinse and lather done between every pass.

Ever since I started shaving my head, I decided that I wanted to do something to make it more interesting and feel like less of a chore, so now I'm shaving with a safety razor and trying to learn the straight razor. It's quite a bit of fun, even with some of the more interesting nicks I've inflicted on myself, and I definitely love the zen quality of the process.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Mar 3, 2013,
I got really into the concept of it for a while, but ultimately that kind of wore off. would still like to learn to do it eventually though.

also, hai dirk.
#DTWD
I found it really easy to learn how to use the safety razor. The first shave was a total bitch, but by the third or so I figured out what I was doing and can get results that are pretty close to a cartridge. Still irritate the hell out of my neck, though.
Hi, I'm Peter
I tried to get into it, but it damn near impossible to find a straight razor that's not $100.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

I shave with a double edged safety razor, but I don't do the rest of the process.

edit: shaving your head, eh? Nazi lawyer?
My God, it's full of stars!
Umm.. so if this isn't the normal way of doing it, what does everyone else use? Are electric razors the norm?:s
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
shaving is a hobby now?
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Aww burgery, when you get past that peach fuzz stage you'll see!
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by naedauuf
Aww burgery, when you get past that peach fuzz stage you'll see!

pfft
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
That is way too much work.

+

And end it. You're not sweet because it takes you 6 hours to shave.

going to mcdonalds is a lot less time and work than cooking your own dinner from scratch.
#DTWD
I have A.D.D.

Not only would I be incapable of completing that process, I

forget what we were talking about.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I get a fine shave with my gilette fusion. I don't see why I would take more time to shave than I do now, just for a slightly better shave.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
^ I got my safety razor from my father. I also picked up a fancy one for $40 just to indulge myself. But I pay about $3 for a 5 pack of replacement blades. You can't get a single cartridge for a Fusion for $3. I know because I used to use one all the time myself. And once I find a brand I really like, you can usually get a bulk pack of 100 blades (about a year's worth of shaves) for around $20. The amount of money that the average man who shaves with cartridge razors can save over the course of a year, not to mention a lifetime, by switching to a safety razor is not insignificant.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel

+

Actually, I can do three passes in about 10 minutes. And see my above comment about cost. There's also just something aesthetically pleasing for me about going through the process.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Mar 3, 2013,
I'll wet shave (safety razor, italian menthol shaving cream, badger hair brush, the whole shebang) when going somewhere where I care about my presentation. Job interview or a date or something. 99% of the time I use electric. Job done in 20 seconds.
I once took a photo of my shaving gear, but I seem to have lost it.
It's rather cheap over time, unless you're like me. I've so far invested in six straight razors, five brushes and seven soaps and two creams. And a set of sharpening stones.

Though I mainly use this:

Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Last edited by AtaBorMan at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

+

i also use this, but gilette fusion proglide xD
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by institutions
I give no fucks about my appearance, so I go with whatever gets the job done fastest.

Which is simply an electric razor.

you mean an electric tweezer. yuck.
#DTWD
I normally use an electric shaver, fast and easy (and a normal shaver for any missed areas).

But now I'm growing out my beard, like everyone should.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I don't think I give a shit enough about shaving to ever do something like that. A simple razor and shaving cream is good enough for me
Sail upon the open skies
When I seen the title I thought this was about women who get turned on when shaving their undercarriage.
Don't need foam, it's pretty much a scam as water works perfectly fine. I discovered this the first time I ran out of it

Then again, why shave or cut your hair anyway? Screw that
I just get hotwater with soap or shaving scream and shave away. I've been growing out my beard though.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Screw shaving. I only use an electric trimmer.

permabeard
I have a huge fear if rays.
My course buddy uses a straight razor, like the folding ones. He switches blades every few shaves. He uses the brush+lather stuff too, apparently it's awesome. I've been thinking about trying it because I hate having too many blades because it ****s my face up pretty bad. Especially on course when I have to shave every day.... God is it ever brutal.
Can't even describe how annoying all this trimming/shaving business is.

I wish I didn't have any facial hair. Or at least, not a noticeable amount.
electric razors are bad and whoever uses them should feel bad
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Quote by institutions
I go with whatever gets the job done fastest.

Which is simply an electric razor.

This.

Aint nobody got time for that.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
I've always kinda wanted to get into for the same reason that I don't get into it. I don't have a lot of facial hair so I only shave like once a month atm, so I wouldn't mind spending the time doing it with a straight razor, but because I do it so infrequently I'm not spending the money on it
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I have another two weeks or so until my beard comes off, but I just do a regular old shave. I need to get a brush, strop, stone, razor and lather when I get a spare $50-100.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Anyone who doesn't think it's worth it hasn't tried it.

For one, it's fast. Takes me 15 minutes tops. Secondly, the result is far better than you get with anything else and 10x more comfortable. The wanky reasons people quote for doing it account for nothing for me, a safety razor is simply a better tool for the job (second to a straight razor, but i can't be arsed maintaining one).

Anyone who is content with a gillette turbo-power-sport-blade shave clearly has prepubescent bum fluff for facial hair.
15 minutes to shave? And that's fast???

Gillette Fusion and budget shaving foam. I shave twice a week and rock the stubble in between. It grows in thick and it grows in fast.

Shaving takes me a few minutes, five at most. I shave in the shower.
Si
Page 1 of 2