Hey, so lately my fretboard has been shrinking, I guess due to the weather or something. I guess I have to file down my frets a little bit, but thats not really a problem. I was just wondering, is this something that naturally happens, or will it actually do some irreversible damage to my guitar over time.
It is normal behavior, but if you leave the guitar to continue shrinking, the frets will be razor sharp and in the worst-case scenario, your neck could twist. The way to fix the problem is to humidify the guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
How did you identify this issue?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

You can often tell if your frets have sharp edges all of a sudden.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Well, my frets are sticking out the sides of the neck, and because I'm at college and the heating in the dorm can go from 80 degrees to 50 degrees in a few hours (it sucks) I just assumed that it was something to do with the weather, because I have read about things like that happening.

Anyway, do you easy ways I can humidify it for cheap? I really can't do much about the rooms humidity so it'd have to be something else
Put the guitar in the case with a humidifier.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
You could apply some mineral oil to the fretboard to help seal it(assuming it's rosewood or ebony), and then hope it doesn't continue to shrink, or worse, crack from shrinkage. I probably wouldn't bother with a humidifier unless it's a pretty expensive guitar, or you leave it in the case anyway.