Aloha hombre's. Never thought i'd ever want to use a phaser but with my bands new material I think it may work. On a very strict budget on this one, not to be a gear snob but I do usually like to buy more pricey gear when I can but with a phaser being something i'd only seldomly use I don't mind cheaping out as long as it's not gonna be cash blown on something that will definitely break.

I've been looking at behringer's vintage phaser vp1, it's actually in a metal casing and sounds decent on youtube for what I want. (More subtle sounds, maybe Baroness esque)

Also looked at Danelectro's Pepperoni phaser, just not sure on if the plastic casing is something to be wary about not that I throw my pedals at brick walls or anything...

Also seen the Belcat PHS-505 and a DOD pedal which i'm not too sure on tonewise

Looking to spend no more than £30 hopefully. Any suggestions guys?
Cheers in advance
1980 Gibson Silverburst Les Paul Custom
Gretsch G5445T Electromatic Double Jet
De Armond MT-75
1978 Aria Pro 2 Les Paul Standard (Lawsuit)

Orange Rockerverb 100 Head
Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Ain't telling you my pedals!
Well, you could probably go used with that price in mind?

I mean, I know that I was stuck between Nano Small Stone by EHX and Phase 90 by MXR. I'm getting the latter next week, I just love the setting on 10 o'clock on the Phase 90. But the Small Stone is really great too. I'd recommend either of those pedals any day and they're not that expensive, but not near your price point either cause the Nano Small Stone lists at 51.99 pounds at Andertons.co.uk (first UK store that popped in mind, don't know if they have the best prices, just a lot of youtube videos).

Sorry that I can't help you more out man, but the way I go with gear is that I've never cheaped out AFTER I had few cheaper products fail on me. Meaning that if a normal Crybaby failed on me, I'd have to get something more expensive next time to see if really money gets you a lot more reliable pedals and stuff. It works for cables at least.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 3, 2013,
I'll keep my eyes open for some second hand ones then, worth waiting in that case, not in a rush anyway, we're not recording for a couple months yet. I hate cheaping out I just think with the effect I need it's not something I want to shell a lot out on. I had a behringer rotary pedal years ago which was awful due to it being flimsy plastic but from what i've seen of their phaser it seems pretty solid considering. Only other pedals that ever failed me were a digitech pedal (I forget which) and a marshall delay pedal. I deffo agree though, if it was something i'd use more I wouldn't spend less for the sake of it
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

The Behringer Vintage Phaser sounds good but its casing isn't the greatest and it really colors your clean tone when it's off. Pepperoni Phaser is alright, but the fact it only has one control means if you don't like how it phases, you're out of luck. Also, it's not likely to last very long.

My suggestion would be to see if you could find a used Small Stone. Either a Russian one or the current nano. They usually go the cheapest, and they sound pretty good. If you could find a DOD FX20 Phaser (or Phasor) they're pretty good and go very cheap as well.

Or, you could grab a Joyo Vintage Phaser. I've heard very good things, and they're really cheap.
Cheers man, I was wary about behringers honesty in it being "true bypass" that's definitely swayed me on that now. I'll check out the joyo one, my bassist has one of their pedals and its surprisingly pretty solid, they had a pretty good review in one of the top guitar magazines recently too so that may be worth a look. There's a DOD on ebay right now ending pretty soon, £13 currently, may keep my eye on it. Are DOD's metal cased though? Never used one myself
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

Quote by qotsakyuss
Cheers man, I was wary about behringers honesty in it being "true bypass" that's definitely swayed me on that now. I'll check out the joyo one, my bassist has one of their pedals and its surprisingly pretty solid, they had a pretty good review in one of the top guitar magazines recently too so that may be worth a look. There's a DOD on ebay right now ending pretty soon, £13 currently, may keep my eye on it. Are DOD's metal cased though? Never used one myself

I don't know of you, but I really don't like the switches that for example DOD, Digitech and Boss pedals have. Especially when I've got my shoes on. The louder the click, the better, especially when I am playing in the dark. That's just me though.

Btw, since you're checking ebay, there are few inexpensive MXR phase units.
EVH
"Normal" Phase 90

And a few videos that I've looked at.
A video that made me want to try MXR Phase 90 myself
EVH vs "normal"
Phase 90 VS Small Stone

Hope those videos can help you out!

Cheers
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 3, 2013,
Thanks man! Appreciate it, i'll check all those links out now *cyber high fives*
De Armond MT-75

Orange Rocker 30 Head
Orange 4x12 Cab
Vampower 4x12 Cab
Ampeg 2x10 Cab

the mooer one's meant to be really good. I dunno if any of those chinese shops still has them at the cheap price (~£29) though

failing that the joyo one is quite nice.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Joyo one does look nice. If I was looking for a Phase 90 type of sound I definitely would have bought one, but I was looking for a more vintagey smooth phase tone so I got a Small Stone.

I keep meaning to check out the Mooer stuff but I never do.
yeah i think the joyo is meant to be a phase 90 clone (so's the mooer, but it has a few more options and is cuter ), but i've never tried the real thing

and yeah if you want a small stone type of thing then just get a small stone. knowing what you're after is half the battle (actually probably more than half the battle, lol).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
knowing what you're after is half the battle (actually probably more than half the battle, lol).

true statement

TS i was in your spot at one point, i was in a funk group for a while and a phaser is used a lot. i picked up a used boss phase shifter and it SUCKED, it could do a lot of different things but i just didn't like it. i bit my tongue and used it for the remaining time i was with the group and then ditched it. since then i have played the small stone and it is a nice sounding effect. i own the small clone chorus which is really nice as well, and what i liked most about the two is that they have one control and thats it. the phase 90 has one control as well so i think these two are gonna be a tough choice
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I'd just grab a Phase 90 used. I've seen them go for $50.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack

Yep you just gotta hunt for one. And if your really lucky you will some poor soul sell some Phase 45's for CHEAP!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Quote by LaidBack

Quote by bburritt1
Yep you just gotta hunt for one. And if your really lucky you will some poor soul sell some Phase 45's for CHEAP!

You guys are forgetting that he's from the UK where everything is more expensive even used...it sucks

Epiphone Wilshire
Orange Rocker 30
Harley Benton 212 (w/Greenbacks)
Ernie Ball Vp jr
Swollen Pickle fuzz
Maxon OD808
Danelectro Vibe
Line 6 Tap Tremolo
Line 6 Verbzilla
EH Memory Man Hazarai
Boss RC20XL

Last.fm
Check out my band haze
Quote by blything09
You guys are forgetting that he's from the UK where everything is more expensive even used...it sucks

Ah shit thats right....my bad Why do they screw over the cool countries! With all theve been through over the centuries i mean cmon!

Im not savy with alot of the brands that are available across the pond but Im thinking please dont hate me for this but i think you can score a good deal on some Digi's pedals or Joyo's if there still worth a damn that is. Its been a min.

Now if your just needing one to get you buy for awhile you can sure see what is readily available at your range and research any reviews on the You of Tube and see which will give you maybe not the best but the best for what you can get at the moment. Ive done that in the past and it might seem like cheating but hey you have got to start somewhere right?
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
yeah i mean i doubt you could get a used phase 90 so cheap. that's not to say it might not be that much more than a new joyo, of course... but it's not just as obvious a decision over here, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 4, 2013,
woops.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
^ no worries

also i had a typo too
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Mine wasn't a typo. Mine was just blatant lack of reading. "haha

Look for a second hand Boss PH-2? They are pretty solid analog phasers.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
oh yeah i know, i was just pointing out that i'm not perfect either lol
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
oh yeah i know, i was just pointing out that i'm not perfect either lol

but you are
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah i mean i doubt you could get a used phase 90 so cheap. that's not to say it might not be that much more than a new joyo, of course... but it's not just as obvious a decision over here, unfortunately.

Which pedals have you been looking at that seem like good canidates for your needs?
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy