Im wondering how loud to make my raw untouched guitar/bass DI tracks. If i set my firepods preamp at 0 i get a fairly loud signal from both my guitars and my bass, but should i be setting the preamp gain to a reasonable level?

How loud do you record your DI files on input? What do you set your preamp to?

Also as far as reamping goes, can anyone guide me through the proper way of doing this with a firepod? I dont have a DI or re-amp box but i do own a sans amp i could use and the firepod has 2 instrument preamps.

What ive been doing is recording directly into the firepod with my guitar, usually gain set to 0 so far. Once recorded i plug a 1/4" instrument cable into the back of the firepod into a jack labeled; "Line Outputs-TRS Balanced". i use jack 1 out of 8 outputs.

From there, i go into the input of my 6505+ and then to cab and mics back into cubase. I record enable the mic tracks and then i solo the DI track and record from there. it sounds ok but im not sure if this is the proper way to approach things, and i want to make sure my setup isnt holding me back from getting the sounds i want.

I can post pictures, audio clips, videos, whatever you guys need to inform me better.

Thanks in advance guys, i'd be so grateful if anyone could take the time to explain this stuff to me.
(signature removed, please choose another)
I record it quiet enough that it doesn't clip. On your DAW, there should be a meter next to the faders. If that meter goes into the red, it's clipping. Keep lowering the fader volume until it doesn't clip.

As for mic'ing an amp...ask some of the other guys. I use amp sims, because I'm a broke student who can only afford a practice amp, lol.
i know what clipping is, im wondering about setting my preamp gain, and the science behind that, mostly.

as well as the chain involved with re-amping.

Should i be adding as much gain as possible without clipping?
Um...I wouldn't do that. You want as clean a DI signal as possible. I leave the pre-amp gain on my Sapphire6 at zero personally.
I don't reamp but IMHO the less pre-amp you use the better(unless you want the preamp to color your sound, such as tube pre's for vocals). Less noise.

Post a clip. There really is no wrong way aslong as you get the sound you want. Does it sound good to you?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
ill put up a clip in a bit. i think my pickups and strings have alot to do with the "dullness".

Im very new To DIs and reamping, but i feel if i can get an awesome, clean DI sound, then i can focus on actually messing with recording and mic positions and amp settings and stuff and not worry about the performance a million times.
Normally when you re-amp, you'd use a re-amp box or something that can perform that function (some DI Boxes can do it, many guitar workstations too) in order to match the impedence of your interfaces output to your amp.

I looked at the Firebox manual and I didn't see anything about re-amping. Just be careful because doing somthing wrong could potentially damage your amp.
Quote by shiggityswah

Welcome to UG. Everyone here will piss you off at some point, it's just what we do.
Sending the signal from daw/desk to the guitar amp?
I would say maybe 6 dBFS?
Quote by jetwash69
Normally when you re-amp, you'd use a re-amp box or something that can perform that function (some DI Boxes can do it ... ), in order to match the impedence of your interfaces output to your amp.

Just be careful because doing somthing wrong could potentially damage your amp.

This is a biggie.
Although it wont happen the first time it may hurt your amp.
Passive DI's do wonders for re amping when using them in 'reverse'. I would reccomend a di 100. a radial x-amp is great. It has an attenuation rotary on it which kind of acts as a "how hard the strings are being hit".

Good luck!