Hi Pit Monkeys,

Does anyone here know if there is a word (e.g. plot device name) for movies/stories that start at the end of the film, then go back to the start and work their way back to the end?

Also, what are some films/books/whatever that use this plot device?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Memento is the best example of that. Citizen Kane is kinda backwards too, in that it starts with the death of the title character.

I have a feeling there might be a word for it, but I can't remember what it might be for the life of me.
It's called a "flash forward" IIRC.

edit: nope, that's something different. I think. I don't know.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Memento is pretty much your description. Identity does that as well in its own awesome way.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Pretty sure the movie would just be called a flashback. At least that's what Wikipedia confirms.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Memento (I don't know why I'm suggesting this still, since everyone else already has) and Peppermint Candy come to mind.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
slumdog millionaire
Quote by bearded_monkey
Oh man thats amazing, you win midi pure. I don't care whether it's a competition or not

Quote by halvies

could have been 3 's but there wasn't nearly enough exclamation marks to emphasize the anger/disbelief

oh yeah
God of War does, it's a game though.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
The Hangover, lol

Also,
Heart of Darkness and Lord Jim both by Joseph Conrad (they have the framing and perspective of someone telling a story they were somewhat involved in)
The Odyssey kind of starts 3/4 of the way through
Velvet Goldmine has a similar retracing the steps form (which is based on Citizen Kane)
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
The curious case of benjamin button.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Kill Bill vol. 1
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
doesn't inception start @ the end?

Amadeus.

I think it was that film. Where Saliari screwed over Mozart and hes going through the whole story to some other person when hes old.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Last edited by leony03 at Mar 3, 2013,
Quote by leony03
Amadeus.

I think it was that film. Where Saliari screwed over Mozart and hes going through the whole story to some other person when hes old.

Great movie, but that would be more of a frame story. Particularly one that suggests an unreliable narrator.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
It's called a flash forward.

Or are you talking about a non-linear narrative? Like Reservoir Dogs? Or more like those shows others described? If it's the latter then it's called a "flash forward".
How has Pulp Fiction not been mentioned yet? The first time I saw that movie I thought the opening scene just had nothing at all to do with the rest of the film till the last 20 minutes or so.
Quote by unicornicopia
How has Pulp Fiction not been mentioned yet? The first time I saw that movie I thought the opening scene just had nothing at all to do with the rest of the film till the last 20 minutes or so.

came here to say
this
Quote by unicornicopia

Because it isn't the ending.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by AeroRocker
Great movie, but that would be more of a frame story. Particularly one that suggests an unreliable narrator.

Ah fair enough. Tis indeed a great movie. Watched it in Music class and we all thought it was going to be some boring ass documentary (we were like 14 and morons) but turned out to be epic!

Also, can't believe I didn't say Pulp Fiction as its one of my favourite films -_-
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Quote by Nero Galon
Inception...

Cherrybomb

The Usual Suspects

Mullholland Drive (Sorta)

Mulholland Drive doesn't start at the end at all.

Irreversible.
Big Fish.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Mar 4, 2013,
Goodfellas, if I recall correctly, starts not at the end, but somewhere near.

Also, it's an awesome movie.
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Is the term you're looking for "in media res?" Technically that refers to starting in the middle rather than the end, but I could see it being broadly applied to encompass starting just before the end as well.
Quote by Samdroid
The first episode of Breaking Bad does this.

Watch it. Then watch the rest.
Already done, yo. I think a few of the episodes do that iirc.

Also... just finished watching Memento. Good film, although it doesn't start at the end and work it's way forward from the start.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 4, 2013,
As mentioned, Fight Club. Tyler actually references it when you get back to that scene at the end of the movie with "Oh, flashback humor."