I don't like buying an amp I can't try, so besides a bigger music store in my city that sells Peavey's etc., there's a small music store near me that also sells Bugera and Blackstar amps. I play everything from metal (mostly thrash, but also doom and other styles) to hard rock (ie: Led Zeppelin, White Stripes), and regular rock, indie rock, post-rock etc. (so I need good cleans as well as high gain distortion). Wondering if there are some Bugera or Blackstar amps that could fit the bill?

OTHER INFO:
- Budget: $1000 or under (looking for a combo, or maybe a head)
- Current gear: Ibanez RG120, Digitech RP250 multi-FX, crappy 15w practice amp
- I play solo at home in my basement, and often jam with just a drummer, sometimes jam with full band.
- city: Ottawa, Canada
All of the Bugeras sound like buzzy fizzy harsh trash to me There's definitely a lot of nice samples of the mid-size Blackstars, but I'm not sure versatile is quite the right word. They seem to jump from "generic clean tone" to "Marshall crunch" without a lot in between.
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL50/100 and a cab
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (combo)
Laney GH50/100 and a cab
Peavey JSX
Peavey Ultra/ultra+
Laney VH100r
Mesa stilleto ace
Carvin X100b
Krank 1980 Jr (they have combos or head and cabs now)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have a Bugera v55 and I love it. Really nice punchy fender-esque cleans with a fuzzy distortion with plenty of gain on tap.
American Circus
Like the White Stripes, RHCP, or Cage the Elephant? Check out mah band!
Quote by Promit
All of the Bugeras sound like buzzy fizzy harsh trash to me There's definitely a lot of nice samples of the mid-size Blackstars, but I'm not sure versatile is quite the right word. They seem to jump from "generic clean tone" to "Marshall crunch" without a lot in between.

Have you only heard bugeras or have you actually tried one? I tried one (the 1x12 22watter) at GC one morning and it sounded decent to me, but it takes a bit of tweaking on the settings, seems like it could be great with a speaker change. Their combos are certainly more vintage geared but would work for anything with the right gain pedal.

@TS: You have a lot of options in the under $1000 bracket, especially used, don't limit yourself to only looking into a couple brands go out and try some different stuff if you can.

Personally, my go to amps are fenders with a fuzz and an overdrive pedal but lately I've been using a fender cyber-twin with the footswitch.
Quote by tukk04
Have you only heard bugeras or have you actually tried one? I tried one (the 1x12 22watter) at GC one morning and it sounded decent to me, but it takes a bit of tweaking on the settings, seems like it could be great with a speaker change. Their combos are certainly more vintage geared but would work for anything with the right gain pedal.
I've only tried the 5 in person and it lived down to expectations. I realize that may not be everyone's experience, and the 5 is a particularly low rent box. Whatever works in the end; I just haven't heard clips of the V22 that pique my interest. I would love to be wrong.
Quote by Promit

I beg to differ, they have shoddy QC but they do sound pretty good. I Bought a 333 years ago, I still have it , it still works (knock on wood ) and sounds pretty damn good.
I'd choose Bugera over Blackstar HT for sound any day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I picked up a Bugera V5 about a year ago, and it's now my main practice amp. If you're not adding dirt in the form of pedals, and you're cranking the gain, you're in Zepplin territory. Cut the gain and add a fuzz, OD, or both and White Stripes style sounds are doable. Metal... I don't play metal, so I don't know. The thing takes pedals well, so with the right one, it might perform acceptably. I will say that if I'm using any dirt at all, 5 watts keeps up with a drummer in my practice space just fine.

That's the only experience I have with Bugera amps, but it's been a particularly positive one. I doubt I'll be giving the little thing up any time soon.