I recently rewired and installed new pots and a 5 way switch in my guitar. I found this drawing at SD website on the wiring of this setup that has only 2 control knobs.
When I changed the pots and switch on mine, it didn't have the jumper wire from the pot to the switch. Everything came out alright just wiring straight to the lug and bypassing the jumper.
My question is, why do they show the jumper wire in the illustration if it's not needed.?
Heres the drawing:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1hum_2sing_1vol_1tone_5way
Do you mean that you didn't use the jumper from the hot lug of the volume pot to hot lug of the tone pot, and instead ran two separate wires from the switch to the respective pots?
Quote by 4FunandProphet
Do you mean that you didn't use the jumper from the hot lug of the volume pot to hot lug of the tone pot, and instead ran two separate wires from the switch to the respective pots?

I did wire a jumper from the tone to volume then from the volume to the lug but without the jumper that they're showing on the switch. Went straight across to the A lug that is in line with the other hots.
I wired it just like they have it but without the jumper. I read it somewhere that the jumper wasn't needed if you wire straight to the A Lug that are next to 1, 2 and 3. The guitar seems to play and sound fine in all five switch pos. but I'm not sure why they were showing the jumper if it's not needed.
Last edited by ajepifoyt at Mar 3, 2013,
Good practice, I suppose, so that you don't have to rewire that connection if you were to change up the pickups in the future.
No, it doesn't do anything. The purpose is to put a hot wire on the common lug on that side of the switch, which you aren't using in that setup. You would need it if you were, for example, coil splitting the humbucker in position 2, or 2 and 4 in a HSH arrangement.
Quote by 4FunandProphet
No, it doesn't do anything. The purpose is to put a hot wire on the common lug on that side of the switch, which you aren't using in that setup. You would need it if you were, for example, coil splitting the humbucker in position 2, or 2 and 4 in a HSH arrangement.

Gotcha. Thanks a bunch