I was just wondering how fast a musician should be able to learn a piece of music. I have heard kids in my school say how they learned a hard piece of music in a week, or a day, even a few hours. So if someone wanted to be a really experienced musician how long should it take them to learn a really hard piece of music? Like some music site:[forbidden link], this would be better
People who sight read music can do it instantly, depending how hard and how good they are...so too broad a question really
Yeah, many professional musicians are able to sight-read difficult music... but you should be able to learn it within as much time as you're given (from when you get it to when you have to play it)
One listen/read through.

Of course, very few people can do that for really complicated music, but that's the goal any musician should be aiming for. You can never be complacent with however fast you are at learning music, because you can always be better.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by Tempoe
People who sight read music can do it instantly, depending how hard and how good they are...so too broad a question really

i wouldn't call it instantly. you typically have plenty of time to skim over it then work at it as you go, but it's not like you just snap your fingers and you "get" the meat of the piece. in terms of really learning and breaking down a piece of music, that's not going to happen in any rapidfire way unless it's rife with conventions.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It depends on how you define "learning a piece". Does it mean you learn to play it sloppily in a slow tempo or perfectly in the original tempo or so that you can perform it on stage without mistakes?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
i love learning to play sloppily in a slow tempo
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
i love learning to play sloppily in a slow tempo

Yes but some people say that they have "learned" the song when they can't really play it cleanly. That was just an extreme example of course. But I have played some songs for a long time and still they are not 100% clean. They are "clean enough" but there's always something that I could do better in them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Really depends a lot on the style/difficulty etc. Not really a question that can be answered with a straightforward reply. But working on sightreading, and memory exercises will definitely increase your learning speed. For me, often playing through the piece is nowhere near as hard as remembering everything without music in front of you!
Totally depends on the length, difficulty, and your familiarity with the style. Instrumental ability is a big factor, too.

Given a certain amount of time to get a piece of music ready, though, memorizing it should be the shortest step by far. If I had a week to learn a new piece of music I'd want it memorized by the end of the first day. Classical music especially, you should memorize quickly and then focus on technique and phrasing.
I've been playing for 4ish years and it takes me forever to learn/memorize some things. Depends on the style I suppose, and how comfortable you are with the tempo and techniques. Like when I learned Blackwater Park by Opeth a couple years ago, it took me over a month to memorize and be able to play it all the way through, though of course that wasn't playing consistently every day.
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Yes but some people say that they have "learned" the song when they can't really play it cleanly. That was just an extreme example of course. But I have played some songs for a long time and still they are not 100% clean. They are "clean enough" but there's always something that I could do better in them.

you mixed up sloppily up to speed and accurately slowly tho
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It depends entirely on how difficult the song is for YOU. If a song is really difficult for you, it would be impossible to learn it in a couple hours, because if you could, it wouldn't be difficult for YOU. Of course, as you improve as a guitarist you will be able to learn songs in a number of hours that used to take days and songs in a couple of days that used to take weeks. There are also some tricks to learning songs faster. For example, you may find that certain genres of music tend to have solos using similar scales and after a while you will start to find that you can can learn things faster because you can already play something similar. Also, some songs can be memorized quickly by memorizing the chord progression.
Well, I learned Heretics and Killers by PTH in 2 hours(playing it at speed, more or less correctly), but that was with TAB. It can take me up to a week or two to learn a fairly complex jazz song, but that's with standard notation. For me, and you probably, it depends on what you're using to learn it.
Quote by FrauVfromPoB
Well, I learned Heretics and Killers by PTH in 2 hours(playing it at speed, more or less correctly), but that was with TAB.

"more or less correctly"
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Truth be told, it's going to take you as long it takes you. Kiddies at school who brag bout that shit, I love hearing them play for me "Oh my... you missed a note. Wrong beat. Your legato sucked there, try it again... no no, try it again. Ah well, now you've ruined it... start from the beginning again".

If you want to be a "really experienced musician", then get there first and see how long it takes you. The comparing thing and the blowing wads over ego things... get over them and move away from psycho's with said ego's... it will ruin you as a muso and might even force you to quit cos you feel like a complete moron by comparison and think you'll never get to their level. Forget all that shit and focus on your own evolvement, because that is more important than being able to brag.

Tell you what... get to a decent level and your friends will brag for you without you ever saying a word. But, well, you know... become really good first.