What do you people use for hearing protection? I've been using the earbuds from EarPeace for awhile and generally like them, but they attenuate the highs quite a bit more than anything else.

I'm looking for something I can use while at the bar (watching bands) and the occasional big show. And something moderately discrete, that's what led me to the EarPeace ones. I'm starting to get some hearing damage and I don't want to cause some significant hearing loss.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I use these guys. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hearos-High-Fidelity-Ear-Plugs-101338945-i1134130.gc

The level of attenuation they provide is honestly very surprising. I practice in a regular house garage, so everything is relatively close quarters, turn my JSX up to 6 to mix well with my drummer (who unfortunately doesn't have a ton of control skill), and my hearing isn't affected at all with them. No ringing, nothing.

The attenuation isn't nearly as flat as is described, but for sheer db reduction, and considering their price, truly great ear plugs.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Those look pretty much like the EarPeace ones, except with worse attenuation haha. I think the EP ones have a 17dB reduction, thanks for the recommendation though!
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
Those look pretty much like the EarPeace ones, except with worse attenuation haha. I think the EP ones have a 17dB reduction, thanks for the recommendation though!

Do you have a link? Maybe a topic for the resource thread.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
http://www.earpeace.com/products/earpeace-best-ear-plugs

They're very comfortable and discrete. And cheap when you buy 2 sets (makes a great gift), I just wish they didn't attenuate the highs like they do. Otherwise they're great for the bar, I'd want a better pair for bigger shows though. I wore them to see Excision (dubstep) and wished they had better attenuation across the board.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Who needs hearing protection? I have never nor will I ever use ear plugs.

I love it I cant hear my wife most of the time, my plan is working great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Who needs hearing protection? I have never nor will I ever use ear plugs.

I love it I cant hear my wife most of the time, my plan is working great

I have to at this point. If I don't my right ear distorts and make it useless.

I have tinnitus and have to sleep with the fan on. I must have ambient noise other wise it bother me.

I'm 31. I need to save whats left.

I'm sure most of my damage is work related. Loud shops and race crew over the years will creep up on you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
I have to have ambient noise or I can't fall asleep due to my tinnitus, I feel your pain there. I work in a machine shop and always have earbuds in at work too.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Quote by Flux'D
I have to have ambient noise or I can't fall asleep due to my tinnitus, I feel your pain there. I work in a machine shop and always have earbuds in at work too.

Thanks for the link.

I really need to get a spare set to carry around. I will have to try those out.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Last edited by R45VT at Mar 3, 2013,
I don't have tinnitus, yet, but I do like ambient noise when I go to bed. A fan is the best. The best Jerry!

Of course, I've only been playing guitar for a few years and 'loud guitar' even less

But I have friend who has 80% hearing loss in one ear and tinnitus and he has no idea why. He is not around loud amps or airplanes etc. He is a manager on a retail sales floor/warehouse. I told him that that continuous 'noise' could be affecting him.
Quote by R45VT
I have to at this point. If I don't my right ear distorts and make it useless.

I have tinnitus and have to sleep with the fan on. I must have ambient noise other wise it bother me.

I'm 31. I need to save whats left.

I'm sure most of my damage is work related. Loud shops and race crew over the years will creep up on you.

I hear you, I was just being a smart ass.

But I really do not use hearing protection, I hate the way it cuts higher frequencys .

I tried and tried, but it was just weird. I guess I'm lucky my hearing is still pretty good and I have worked around loud heavy machinery since I was 18 (I'm 34 now). And I practice at giging volumes most of the time.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know you were joking. It's in mans nature to be able to "block" the sound of a womans voice.

You are lucky Robb. I'm not being a smart ass either.

And yeah 311- you hear about those types of cases like your friend. Bummer. It really does sneak up on you.

Earplugs kill the highs for me. I actually ordered the set Offworld posted. I needed a bunch of other crap from GC so I thew them in as well. I'll see how they do during my next jam session.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Check with your health insurance plan to see if they cover custom earplugs. Some due, and if you have coverage it’s the best way to go.
You can get a pack of free Hearos by ordering on-line.

http://www.hearos.com/

Or at least you used to be able to. I really like them. I use them sometimes when I crank it up or go to a concert. Or at least have them handy.
Quote by sandyman323

Holy expensive as **** batman
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
This thread just turned TGP.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
This thread just turned TGP.

Why is there someone on here braging about the 4 Dumble amps they "have"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Holy expensive as **** batman

When it comes to your ears as a musician, custom plugs are worth it. I plan on getting some as soon as I can afford to but for now use the hi-fi hearos.
Those were in ear monitors as well. If you play a bunch it could be worth it.

Edit: nope.... just earplugs... wow.....
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I'm not opposed to having custom made plugs made (I actually like the idea), but I'm currently laid off and don't have health insurance
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

i'm in here because i have tiny ear canals, and most types just pop out.

maybe something custom is worth a shot...

omg forget it, the "how to order" page is a wall of text.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Flux'D
I'm not opposed to having custom made plugs made (I actually like the idea), but I'm currently laid off and don't have health insurance

I went to an audiologist and got the plugs made, and my insurance didn't cover it. But nevertheless it's well worth it. It didn't really end up costing all that much, hold off on your next pedal and you'll be fine. They are seriously well worth the money too, they can come with different filters that can go up to as much as 25 decibels in some cases, i have mine at 15 and they also come with straight blocks too.

If you are already having hearing loss and tinnitus and all that then you've kinda already lost the race so you might as well go all out and get the best protection you can, and IMO custom fitted plugs is where the search stops.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Robbgnarly

not to deter from the topic of this thread, but TRUE statement Rob!
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Heh Dumbles wow really?

I liked the Heroes when they first came out but i was a drunk when i gigged awhile back so i stopped using them or lost them IDK. But they were nice from what I do remember and they hold up well. And i to have a hard time trying to find anything that fits my ears. They cut alot of the bass response so you hear alot of highs but everything is still audible. But because i stopped using them i now have a case of never ending ring. BAH. Dumb alcoholic antics are still haunting me.....boo!
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Quote by Robbgnarly

This is why...

An old man walks into a church, and goes for a confession. The priest pulls back the window, and the old man says: "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I am 80 years old and I was walking home from the library the other day and two college girls stopped their car and said they were on spring break and needed directions and we got into a discussion and they offered
to drive me home and on the way one of them asked me the last time I'd had sex and I told them it had been years and she said would I like to have some fun and before I knew it the three of us were in my apartment and I had the most magnificent sex for two nights and the day between and they're still there waiting for me and promised they'd show me things I never even knew a
man and woman could do. And that's why I've come to confession."

And the priest asks, "When was the last time you went to confession?"

And the old man says, "Actually, this is the first time."

And the priest says, "You're 80 years old and this is your first confession? Why now?"

And the old man says, "Because I'm Jewish."

And the priest asks, "In that case, why are you telling me?"

And the old man says, "I'm telling everybody."
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

that does look pretty promising. that site hits on a number of points i was gonna make.

i use industrial hearing protection from work (we do inspection) so we have a ton of them. unfortunately they cut too much volume out in general (32 dB) so i always wanted to play louder with them in. the other problem was that the ear plugs really targeted ~1 kHz, which made things sound funky.

they were great for cutting volume, but they were way too good for me to hear and fell what i was doing.

later i found ear plugs with a flatter response at around the 15 to 23 dB range worked best. you are probably hearing around 100 to 105 dB at practice or on stage and ~20 dB knocks that down to ~80's dB. that is a fairly comfortable sound level that still seems a little loud so you get the feel. the flat response helps you hear those mids.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I snagged a gigantic box of plugs from the factory. Set for life!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Arby911
This is why...

An old man walks into a church, and goes for a confession. The priest pulls back the window, and the old man says: "Forgive me father, for I have sinned. I am 80 years old and I was walking home from the library the other day and two college girls stopped their car and said they were on spring break and needed directions and we got into a discussion and they offered
to drive me home and on the way one of them asked me the last time I'd had sex and I told them it had been years and she said would I like to have some fun and before I knew it the three of us were in my apartment and I had the most magnificent sex for two nights and the day between and they're still there waiting for me and promised they'd show me things I never even knew a
man and woman could do. And that's why I've come to confession."

And the priest asks, "When was the last time you went to confession?"

And the old man says, "Actually, this is the first time."

And the priest says, "You're 80 years old and this is your first confession? Why now?"

And the old man says, "Because I'm Jewish."

And the priest asks, "In that case, why are you telling me?"

And the old man says, "I'm telling everybody."

The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
I use these:

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

They work well without attenuating too much in the wrong way. I'm 39 and still have my hearing and would like to keep it that way.

These are relatively inexpensive, durable, and fit my small ears. And sound better than foam plugs.
Last edited by drown at Mar 4, 2013,
Yeah I was just jamming with my brother and when he drums I have to crank the amp up. My playing ability then drops like no other, because I can barely tell whats going on with my headphones. They suck all the distortion out of my sound, but for my brother and whenever I play drums, they make a shitty drum set sound like gold. The loss of higher frequencies is huge. I love playing with no ear protection, but I know if I keep doing it my ears will soon be shot.