guitarist5477
998 IQ
Hey whatsup, I have an MXR Analog Chorus pedal I use on my guitar. I'm considering using it for a band im in where I play bass. Just wondering what peoples general thoughts are on the sound of bass with chorus?
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
I think chorus is a useful pedal for a bass player. My only comment on using a guitar one is that you will lose some of your lower end tones. Get one that is designed for bass and the overall sound will be much better.
fudger
Im a ninja of love..
647 IQ
I have a chorus in my board for bass. I use it quite often. Good for giving a little shimmer and sustain to cleaner bass tone. As said above get one made for bass. In my experience guitar pedals suck the tone right out of a bass.
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by anarkee
I think chorus is a useful pedal for a bass player. My only comment on using a guitar one is that you will lose some of your lower end tones. Get one that is designed for bass and the overall sound will be much better.

True, I've got both Bass Chorus and Flanger.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
ddhm
25 IQ
I agree with Anarkee,
You will lose low end with a regular chorus. I suggest getting a bass designed chorus as well.
skippy_moogoose
30 Rhythm Points...O yeah
1,033 IQ
I used to own a cheap no brand Bass Chorus, and hated it, however, I've had great results with the EHX Small Clone, it really does sound lovely, and retains a lot of the lowend pretty well, I'll be using it to record this week in fact, to add some creepy depth to one of my more brooding basslines!! It also works great for slap I've found, providing you keep it subtle, without too much depth!
It also looks pretty cool, a big funky purple thang!
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
guitarist5477
998 IQ
Thanks for all the suggestions, atm I have to use my MXR Analog Chorus pedal for guitar, but I'll save up for a bass one, usually I switch between pick and fingers and I have to fix the tone on my bass knobs and sometimes on the amp itself which is really being a pain, but I also am interested in getting a bass flanger so I can get that sound from Stranglehold, I just figured it'd be interesting to use chorus instead of the usual bass tones
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
To the list of suggestions, I'd add TC Electronics Corona Chorus. You can download "Tone prints" to it for capturing different artist "tones" and it adds a great shimmer to your tone overall.
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Chorus on bass became a fixture of the 1980s, with Sting taking the lead on a number of Police songs. It got to the point where it was overused, and people started to back away from it. But like most effects, it works well when used in moderation.

Unlike alcohol, which doesn't do anything when used in moderation.
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player
1,096 IQ
Quote by FatalGear41
But like most effects, it works well when used in moderation.

Unlike alcohol, which doesn't do anything when used in moderation.

I don't know if i should sig that or not!
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
FatalGear41
War Mastiff!!!
1,381 IQ
Quote by Sudaka

I don't know if i should sig that or not!

You are a bassist. Those are words to live by, my son!
"Drinking is a skill and should be recognized as such!"

Quote by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
Sliide90027
368 IQ
I have a nice Chorus in my Digitech BP-8.

And 5 more at the ready in my Boss CE-20.

The Boss can really contort some lowend into a molten caldrun.
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
Captain Insano
Bruins Fan
1,625 IQ
Digitech Bass Multi Chorus - Great chorus pedal, very reasonably priced.
anarkee
oh the horror!
3,136 IQ
^Not a bad choice either. I had one for years until I bought the Corona.
John Swift
899 IQ
Another useful effect if used just a little (not too wet) is, vibrato/on early amps tremolo.
My current band play covers and the enhancement you get on Fleetwood Macs 'The Chain' by adding a hint of chorus/flange or vibrato is good if used subtly.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
MarqueeMoon77
507 IQ
chorus on bass is awesome, peter hook used it to great effect on a lot of new order
I realize. That I hate the sound of guitars