Hey UG community this is just a video of me and some friends jamming to a couple tunes, we all take a couple solos! Nothing was really planned just jamming, would love if you guys could give us some tips and pointers! Am the one all the way to right and am using a Blackstar Ht 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXPL6YUSunw
When you say you didn't plan anything, does that include the key of the song and the chord progression? Or did you just start playing random stuff?

You could EQ the recording. It sounded pretty muddy. Sounded a bit like if you all had had your tone knobs at zero. But yeah, I know that's the recorder's fault.

But yeah, chill songs. You could have had a bit more dynamics and a bit more things happening in the jam. It could have progressed somewhere (though that might be hard to do with two guitars. The less players, the easier it's to make changes in the song). Maybe the rhythm guitar in the second jam could have been tighter (more staccato and muting in some parts, for example when the bassist slapped) but that might also be due to the EQ. The break and drum fill was cool but you could have done it a couple of times. Many times in jams I like it when you get a good idea and repeat it a couple of times.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
To me, right now, this feels like a band that needs a singer. You're fine as far as you go, but this doesn't work as instrumental music because there's an absence of melody.

I think you guys have written some good grooves here, but they're not complete.
Quote by HotspurJr
To me, right now, this feels like a band that needs a singer. You're fine as far as you go, but this doesn't work as instrumental music because there's an absence of melody.

I think you guys have written some good grooves here, but they're not complete.

Yeah. Even though this is improvised, you could still come up with a melody that you would repeat a couple of times, maybe build the whole solo around the melody. IMO it's always good if you repeat some ideas and not just play a bunch of ideas, all only once. I have told this to our band's guitarist and IMO now our jams sound much better because we play the same thing more than once. Then it doesn't progress too fast (or it doesn't progress at all) and we have time to react to each other's playing.

So as I said earlier, I heard some cool parts (for example the break with drum fill) and if you had repeated them, it would have sounded better. This also helps it progress somewhere. If you repeat your ideas, at the same time you have time to think what would fit there next. Also the listener hears that it's an important part. And if you play something and then come back to that same idea later, it can also sound cool.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
When you say you didn't plan anything, does that include the key of the song and the chord progression? Or did you just start playing random stuff?
He said they were jamming on a couple tunes. The second one was Purple Haze and the third one was Vultures by John Mayer. Not sure about the first one.

Your bassist could stand to be more deliberate, particularly with his muted notes. I noticed this mostly in the first jam. I couldn't hear him too well on the second one.

At the beginning of the first jam, he probably should have played less staccato. The guitars weren't doing any muting, so it felt a little out of place. I could tell he was trying to hold a tight groove, but it wasn't effective.

It probably didn't help that the recording quality is pretty poor (video camera mic, eh?). From what I can tell though, your overall sound is pretty nice.

And like ouchies and Hotspur said, it needs some melody. These have the potential to be solid jams, but they're just a couple dudes playing some chords.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Mar 4, 2013,