i dont have them but ive installed a few of them they have a pretty good output and i like them the best in the bridge position not so much in the neck

and they are pretty good if you want to heavy up a strat without having to add a full sized humbucker

if you want to see how they sound i know iron maiden uses them in their strats
Quote by supersac
i dont have them but ive installed a few of them they have a pretty good output and i like them the best in the bridge position not so much in the neck

and they are pretty good if you want to heavy up a strat without having to add a full sized humbucker

if you want to see how they sound i know iron maiden uses them in their strats

Thanks for the comment. Would I be able to achieve this sound with them in this vid starting at 5:15 and 6:11? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyuLf4u6EAI
That guy is a terrible guitarist, I wouldn't want that tone. Those pickups aren't Duncans.

Anyway, the amp is a deciding factor in when trying to emulate tone.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
That guy is a terrible guitarist, I wouldn't want that tone. Those pickups aren't Duncans.

Anyway, the amp is a deciding factor in when trying to emulate tone.

What I mean is, could I get that same tone using Hot Rails playing through a Delta Blues 210 that he's getting from that pedal?
Unless you know someone who has that set up you're basically going to have to guess and take a chance.

It's very hard to actually judge pickups unless you have actually played them, which I haven't.

My main concern here is that the tone in the video sounds thin, trebley and nothing like a Les Paul, which he seems to claim it does. He has trouble playing those basic riffs and his bending is shit.

Is there a guitarist in a song that you're trying to emulate? There may be a better example of the same thing that I can help you with.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 4, 2013,
I'd like to find a way to make my Strat sound like a Les Paul when it's time for a solo. Kinda like Clapton does on some of his songs. Or, if it can't get like a LP, then just a thick Strat tone. You didn't think that pedal made it sound like a LP?
Clapton used Lace Golds for a long time, and the Eric Clapton Signature Strat had Lace Golds in it. He now uses Fender Vintage Noiseless. The tone in that video doesn't sound like Claptons to me. Maybe it's the guys playing but the sound in general seems to have quite a high output. Does this sound better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWB5S0diFM0
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

He uses Noiseless Pickups now, there are similarities to the Lace. He used the pickups I posted, they sound exactly like Claptons tone from arguably his most recognisable period.

You need to be aware that pickups are not the biggest part of his sound in any way. You may well get the pickups he uses and then find that you still sound **** all like him or the tone he has. It's mainly his amp, in fact it's largely his amp. What amp are you using?

Edit: I think that the Hot Rails are just too high of an output. With the right amp you can recreate Claptons tone but you'd have a harder time than with Lace Golds or stock Strat pickups.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Mar 4, 2013,
hot rails are not for clapton tone. and if you want a humbucker sized single so you can make your strat thicker to sound like clapton, there are better pickups to do this.

I personally am not a big fan of hot rails as i see them very bright and a bit sterile, perhaps i dont really like ceramic pickups. they are also VERY hot, atleast the bridge is.

friend had one in his bridge of a strat and it easily doubled or 3x the output of the stock single. the guitar was 2x as loud, and in sound terms to get 2x louder generally you need an exponential amount of output more.

in the bridge it made his strat very very bright and tinny. i was not a fan. i think they would give a really huge bite and grit for higher gain music personally - which is why i can see iron maiden using them.

there is a seymour duncan pickup booster pedal that can make a single sound like a bucker - might want to look into that.

i say keep looking around for a good thick single coil. LACE are awesome. if i needed a strat pickup, 80% of my decision would be there until i found something better.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
i say keep looking around for a good thick single coil. LACE are awesome. if i needed a strat pickup, 80% of my decision would be there until i found something better.

You know it.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Clapton's tone has nothing to do with the pickups. Clapton's heavier Strat tones come from a ridiculously powerful active mid boost. Richie Sambora, of Bon Jovi, used a boost half as powerful as Clapton's as a solo boost in the early 90s and EMG currently offer a mid boost a quarter of the power of Clapton's to use as a thick/lead boost. Suffice to say, Eric Clapton's hugely boosted lead Strat sound is something you're not going to replicate with just a pickup swap.

SD Hot Rails in a Strat size do not sound like boosted Strat pickups of any sort. They sound like medium-hot, regular ceramic humbuckers (the Tele version is extra-hot).

If you want to make your Strat sound like a Les Paul then you're embarking on a wild goose chase which will see you waste a lot of money with no results. You can't do it. The scale length, woods, construction, hardware and pickup spacing are all completely wrong.
If you simply want 'a thicker Strat tone', à la Clapton at half boost/Sambora/EMG's boost, you could get pickups like the SD Hot Stack Plus and Custom Stack Plus, or Fender Hot Noiseless. You could also get basic hum-cancelling Strat pickups (e.g. Fender Vintage Noiseless or EMG SAV) and use an EMG SPC or VMC mid control.
If you want a smoother and slightly hotter Strat sound, try Lace Sensors or SD Vintage Rails.
If you want a full humbucker, 'super-Strat' sound, SD Hot Rails, Cool Rails and DiMarzio Tone Zone S will all serve you well.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've had my Hot Rails in my strat neck and bridge position for like 7 years. They are nice for Metal and Hardrock and hold up well to Drop tuning. Even B! All notes come out clear. NOW! I like the pickups better now that i replaced my rosewood neck to a Maple. IMHO it sounds and responds alot better then before. Most will either agree or disagree but hey its my theory and im sticking to it.

And what was mentioned above the Neck Position could be better but i like it for what i do. If i was playing more rock or blues but still wanted that rail type look and sound i would go for the cool rail or hot stack.
The Rig of Joy:
Stiff Amplification Dirthead 20w
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Fender Partscaster Korean Made
Epiphone Prophecy
Washburn Southern Cross 34 of 100
Ibanez TS9,AD9,GCB95, Multi Chorus and TU2
Quote by Mephaphil
He uses Noiseless Pickups now, there are similarities to the Lace. He used the pickups I posted, they sound exactly like Claptons tone from arguably his most recognisable period.

You need to be aware that pickups are not the biggest part of his sound in any way. You may well get the pickups he uses and then find that you still sound **** all like him or the tone he has. It's mainly his amp, in fact it's largely his amp. What amp are you using?

Edit: I think that the Hot Rails are just too high of an output. With the right amp you can recreate Claptons tone but you'd have a harder time than with Lace Golds or stock Strat pickups.

I'm playing through a Orange amp TH-30. It's way too gainy for me.
I use lace sensors and they are awesome, i use the red silver blue combo so its more modern voiced than the golds but i've played the golds and they would be a great choice. also remember a lot of clapton's sound, as stated above, came from his amp, he used an old fender bassman for a good part of his career, and of course that old marshall bluesbreaker. you can't just swap out pickups and expect to drastically change your tone in that way.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by Lightnin08
I'm playing through a Orange amp TH-30. It's way too gainy for me.
Then turn the gain knob down. Clapton's rarely used preamp gain, anyway. Most of his distortion comes from simply driving a low-gain amp really, really hard or with pedals. He's used 1w amps on many recordings specifically so he could get considerable distortion without upping the preamp gain.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Then turn the gain knob down. Clapton's rarely used preamp gain, anyway. Most of his distortion comes from simply driving a low-gain amp really, really hard or with pedals. He's used 1w amps on many recordings specifically so he could get considerable distortion without upping the preamp gain.

You sir do your homework! Not many know the little things like that. You can even bring up Rev Billy Gibbons He has been known for lowgain amps with about four or five OD pedals daisy chained at once. It was a neat trick he learned with his brief relationship he had with Jimi in the mid sixties.

Now his rig changes all the time so dont look at his rig from the 2012 tour and call me a liar but for many years up until 2007 or 08 he used this method alot!
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
yo

I have one in the bridge of my Tele. It is very nasally sometimes and can lack definition if you don't set your EQ right.
I'm planning on putting something else in at some point.
they are quite high output and are nice and tight.
Quote by ihartfood
yo

I have one in the bridge of my Tele. It is very nasally sometimes and can lack definition if you don't set your EQ right.

Curious? Does your tele have a RW neck or a Maple neck? My strat sounded nasaly before i swapped from a RW to maple board.

But your 100% correct your EQ has alot to do with it being nasaly. I mean the pickup has very little treble to it. Its mostly Lows and Mids.
The Rig of Joy:
Bugera 2x12 Cab
Epiphone Prophecy
Awesome neck pickup in either maple or rosewood. Great for Dave Murray's legato, which is my main style. Mine is in a kramer striker with rosewood, which I'm pretty sure is not alder like a strat, but sounds fantastic.
HOWEVER: Make sure you use it with a matching warm pickup; that way you can turn up your amp's treble to cut through the mix. I had a Dimebucker bridge, which was quite shrilly, so I had to turn the trebke down, causing the hot rail to sound muffled (for lack of a better term). Also, I suggest using it with 500K pots.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Mar 4, 2013,
correct. ever seen claptons amp? low gain. 12ay7s in em. its not a gainey amp.

i say get a good quality, mid-low output pup or a good thick noiseless like lace. sheptone makes amazing pickups.

http://sheptone.com/strat.htm

get a really nice OD of the tubescreamer style, and adjust your amp accordingly. work your guitar appropriately and most importantly PLAY a smooth-*ss minor pentatonic like clapton! funny, every time i see clapton playing he always has his 3 fingers in the same shape to do all his licks.

billy gibbons?

yeah he rocks a ton of fuzz and get a lot of harmonics from both good fuzzy pedals and POWER AMP!

except when he played with those lunchbox amps...solid state. that one puzzles me.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by bburritt1
Curious? Does your tele have a RW neck or a Maple neck? My strat sounded nasaly before i swapped from a RW to maple board.

But your 100% correct your EQ has alot to do with it being nasaly. I mean the pickup has very little treble to it. Its mostly Lows and Mids.

birdseye maple
Quote by ihartfood
yo

The Hot Rails for Tele is different to the Hot Rails for Strat. It's much, much hotter—producing more output than an EMG 81—and the resonant peak is much lower. I don't know why they share the name they sound very different and you can't judge one based on the other.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Hot Rails for Tele is different to the Hot Rails for Strat. It's much, much hotter—producing more output than an EMG 81—and the resonant peak is much lower. I don't know why they share the name they sound very different and you can't judge one based on the other.

oh, my bad TS. I didn't know this. thanks for telling me.

what's a resonant peak?
Quote by MrFlibble

Would you think that a tele hot rail in the neck would overpower a quarter pounder in the bridge? I'm tossing up between that and the matching QP neck pup.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification