I recently acquired a verellen skyhammer and a 4x12 wired at 16ohms to go with it. I tried the amp through my bass player's 2x15 sunn cab that is wired at 4ohms and loved the way it sounded. I am recording this Thursday and am trying to figure out if there would be a way to run both cabs safely at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Quote by letsgetcokes
I recently acquired a verellen skyhammer and a 4x12 wired at 16ohms to go with it. I tried the amp through my bass player's 2x15 sunn cab that is wired at 4ohms and loved the way it sounded. I am recording this Thursday and am trying to figure out if there would be a way to run both cabs safely at the same time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What is this?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Rewire the sunn's speakers in series. That will give you 16 ohm. Now you can run both cabs together for a total impedance of 8 ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Is there some sort of preamp/di out on the amp? If so you could feed that into another power amp (or another amp's fx loop return) to drive the 2x15".

Quote by Cathbard
Rewire the sunn's speakers in series. That will give you 16 ohm. Now you can run both cabs together for a total impedance of 8 ohms.

Probably not a good news for his bass player if his amp has a solid state power section haha...
EGC Baritone | ESP M-I | Gibson LP Jr
BC Rich USA ST3 | Fender Telecaster
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
build a "Y" cable, in paralell, and set the amp to 8 ohms out.

if you don't follow that well, build the "Y" cable, plug into spkrs, amd measure resistance
with multimeter.

mitchfit
Quote by mitchfit
build a "Y" cable, in paralell, and set the amp to 8 ohms out.

if you don't follow that well, build the "Y" cable, plug into spkrs, amd measure resistance
with multimeter.

mitchfit
That would result in a 3 ohm load and the 2x12 will be doing most of the work.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It sounds like there isn't an easy or safe solution to this. Im probably just going to end up tracking the guitars twice, once through each cab. thanks for the advice though.
Quote by R45VT
What is this?

Verellen amplifiers are custom amps made by Ben Verellen of the bands Harkonen and Helms Alee. He is based out of Seattle (where i'm from). The skyhammer is a 100watt all tube amp with el34s (usually, I got mine with Kt88s instead). They also usually come standard with a tube effects loop, I opted with a tube reverb instead.
Cathbard's suggestion is probably the best if that is all you have to work with. Wouldn't cost much if anything. Maybe there is a particular jack 'switcher' that would allow you to switch back and forth - like a series/parallel 4x12 (mono/stereo) would

You could also look into a 'load matcher' like this one:
https://taweber.powweb.com/store/zmatch.htm

Otherwise, double tracking your guitar sounds like the ultimate idea and will probably sound killer too.

Clips when done?
you can rewire speakers with a PH screwdriver, some clamp on spade clips (and possibly a little bit of speaker wire and a knife/wire strippers).

you open the sunn cabinet, and you change the wired to go from

you change the wiring from the bottom image to the top image. super easy.

*they may have soldered the wire on the speakers way back in the day, if you don't have some desolder braid and a soldering pencil then that may be a problem. my 71 sunn cab had spade connectors though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Definitely double track, the recording will sound a lot bigger and better if you're a good/consistent player.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals